How do you trim your ends?

coyacoy

Hi ladies - wondering how you trim your hair.......wet? dry? with product? without? stretched? i usually do my own dusting and trimming of ends with hair scissors, but i'm always unsure of when i should do it - wet, dry, etc. Thought it would be helpful to hear from the ladies of LHCF. Thanks in advance! :grin:

AwesomelyNappy

i go to supercuts 1-2 times a year for a trim, but in between i dust my ends when straightened and on dry hair.

Straight because its easier on my natural hair and i dont want to accidentally cut too much, and also I can see my damage, my progress and see my work clearer.

If i do it wet, i cant really always see the splits or damage since the water or saturation of product will smooth it over and i will either miss areas or i will over estimate what needs to be cut. I deep condition before i trim and make sure I have a bit of leave-in and oil so that the manipulation wont be disastrous to my hair, and it also helps glid through the hair better too (manipulating all the way dry hair would kill my hair).

Missjae09

I trim on dry and straightened hair, like an earlier poster its easier for me to see what's going on with my ends.

westNDNbeauty

@westNDNbeauty how large/small are your twist? I've thought about trimming this way but haven't tried it yet.

Missjae09

The smaller your twists, the better the trim would be. I think it's best to trim your hair with mini twists because that is almost like replicating your hair's 'out' state, but you have more control of your hair and the trim's accuracy is increased.

coyacoy

rhanks, AwesomelyNappy! makes perfect since - i tend to trim when it's dry only because i feel like i can see what needs to be cut better. thx again

i go to supercuts 1-2 times a year for a trim, but in between i dust my ends when straightened and on dry hair.

Straight because its easier on my natural hair and i dont want to accidentally cut too much, and also I can see my damage, my progress and see my work clearer.

If i do it wet, i cant really always see the splits or damage since the water or saturation of product will smooth it over and i will either miss areas or i will over estimate what needs to be cut. I deep condition before i trim and make sure I have a bit of leave-in and oil so that the manipulation wont be disastrous to my hair, and it also helps glid through the hair better too (manipulating all the way dry hair would kill my hair).

coyacoy

thanks, Missjae09! makes perfect sense. i usually do the trim w/o product, but see another poster mentioned trimming after a little leave in has been applied. i will be trying that for sure :yep:

I trim on dry and straightened hair, like an earlier poster its easier for me to see what's going on with my ends.

naturalgyrl5199

I do it 2 ways:

1. I try to go to my usual cutter at a place that's just like Supercuts here in my town. SHe is a sista, and only cuts exactly how much I ask. I go to her with my hair stretched from a light cold/warm blow-out. I try to go every 8 weeks...Best hair decision I've ever made!

2. If I can't get to her because of traveling, etc, I will go ahead a dust it while stretched and dry. If I can see some SSK or splits, I'll catch those little boogers too:yep:. I do that every couple days....Number 1 is the preferred way to go.

naturalgyrl5199

Missjae09

The smaller your twists, the better the trim would be. I think it's best to trim your hair with mini twists because that is almost like replicating your hair's 'out' state, but you have more control of your hair and the trim's accuracy is increased.

Oh yeah, I trim mine in twists too. I do my twists on stretched/dry hair...I can see SSK, bits of heat damage that needs to be trimmed slowly. I agree...Its better the smaller the twist! Better accuracy. The naughty parts are easier to see!

Missjae09

@ naturalgyrl5199 westNDNbeauty
are you ladies left with layers when trimming with twists?

Oh yeah, I trim mine in twists too. I do my twists on stretched/dry hair...I can see SSK, bits of heat damage that needs to be trimmed slowly. I agree...Its better the smaller the twist! Better accuracy. The naughty parts are easier to see!

westNDNbeauty

@ naturalgyrl5199 @westNDNbeauty
are you ladies left with layers when trimming with twists?

Missjae09
Umm. well my hair doesn't grow all evenly to begin with. so once I trim my twists, the length ratio is the same as if I didn't trim. I hope that makes sense.

If you check out my straightening video, that is basically the type of "layers" my hair has as a result of snipping with twists in. Not very noticeable.

Missjae09

Ok! gotcha! I like layers, but I supposed its about time i concentrate on length and not layers right now especially since I havent been wearing my hair straight.
@Missjae09
Umm. well my hair doesn't grow all evenly to begin with. so once I trim my twists, the length ratio is the same as if I didn't trim. I hope that makes sense.

If you check out my straightening video, that is basically the type of "layers" my hair has as a result of snipping with twists in. Not very noticeable.