• To moisturize.

Votes: 43 14.9%
  • To seal.

Votes: 203 70.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 43 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love castor oil, my favorite oil that I use for my hair. I use it to seal, I use it in my oil rinses. Makes my hair sooo soft when I get out of the shower. I just started using it on my ends too...so far so good!

Castor oil is a big big staple for me. If I have to pick only one product, it would be castor oil. I use it alone to seal when I baggy and I can definitely see the difference in smoothness and thickness.
I vote Other cause I also use it daily mixed with coconut oil and an EO: soft and smooth hair all the way.

I use castor oil on my hair for just about everything now. Prepoo, DCs, sealing, etc....

But the one thing I can't live without is castor oil on my face.:yep:

I use it either alone as a moisturizer (after I cleanse) OR I use it to seal in my moisturizer that contains SPF. Use about a dime size or a little smaller and rub hands together and then all over your face. I no longer have excessive oily skin and I do not get pimples. I KID YOU NOT. Castor oil may fool you by it's appearance because it seems too thick and problematic. But you should not fear!!! A little goes a long way and it does penetrate. It is a staple for me in every way!

Don't sleep on this one! Its a keeper...

Got mine at Whole Foods.

Castor oil has totally transformed my braidouts--so much so it's the primary way I've been wearing my hair since I'm stretching until January. Wash + moisturize + seal with Castor Oil + my denman brush = amazing.

I just got the best twists and twist outs using castor oil! It's totally going into the staples pile. I co-washed with VO5, left some of it in, banded my hair to stretch it out a bit until it was slightly damp, and then used the castor oil on each section to twist. My twists were shiny, moisturized, and super soft (I kept them in for about a week). And the resulting twist out was defined and moisturized. I love this stuff!!!

PJ814 - did you use mix any other products with the CO for your twists? TIA!

I just got the best twists and twist outs using castor oil! It's totally going into the staples pile. I co-washed with VO5, left some of it in, banded my hair to stretch it out a bit until it was slightly damp, and then used the castor oil on each section to twist. My twists were shiny, moisturized, and super soft (I kept them in for about a week). And the resulting twist out was defined and moisturized. I love this stuff!!!

I use the Oil Control method for my skin and castor oil actually is good for oily skin - it's drying. So I mix it 20/80 with another, right not rice bran, a very light oil. For my hair I was using a smidge of it with moisturizers but I may try mixing it with another oil for an oil rinse. Mixing it with another oil totally removes the tackiness.

I use it on my ends occasionally. I always get great results from it. The consistency is the only thing I find a little bit bothersome.

i think i may be picking up some of this stuff when i get home after the holidays. i have been bunning most of the days of the week, if not all, and i am using amla, coconut, jasmine oil mix as a sealant. it seems to be alright, but it seems more wet than sealed. if the castor oil is thicker, this may be what i am in the market for. thank you ladies!

i think my SO will be a little more disheartened that i will take more space in the cabinet, however... eh, he'll get over it.

I thought I responded to this thread but I don't see it...:drunk:

I have a large bottle of Home Health castor oil, a brand I've used for many years now for other healing purposes. I use it on my lashes and eyebrows which keeps them thick and my lashes long.

I have always been inspired by SherryLove's use of her castor oil mixture on her scalp and hair.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=3503

I just purchased a big bottle of the Home Health castor oil 2 days ago. I use quite a few of Home Health's other products & decided I wanted to try the castor oil & see how it would work for me. Thks for the link!

i've been using castor oil in lieu of silicon, sabino mb-type products, it is keeping my transitioning hair from reverting, and gives my straightened hair a nice piecey-look. i am pleasantly surprised...i also use it in my mt/evco mix applied to my scalp. i took off the cap and put a spout on my bottle and i'm read-to-go~

how much oil, of any kind, do u use to seal with? i think i use too much. i had been using castor oil. should i just be sealing the ends or the entire strand?

For those of you who cowash and use CO, do you think cowashing alone is enough to remove this oil from your hair? I use heavy cones to seal which I have no problem with but this means I can not just cowash, I have to poo to remove cones. Since I am upping my washes to every other day I prefer not to use shampoo 3-4xs/wk. I figure if I seal with CO on CW days I won't have to poo the next time. I just always want the water from my shower to get to my hair-that's my ultimate moisturizer:grin: Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

I use it to seal after applying moisturizer. It makes the hair super soft and it only takes a small amount. (I've noticed that castor smells like strong cooking oil to me, so I'm going to add an essential oil to make it smell better.)

Same here. The smell makes me gag because as a child, my Father used to heat it up on the stove and make us take 2 teaspoons of it when we were sick! I have to add EO to it!

I love castor oil. I put it on my soaking wet hair to seal in moisture. I have also put it my hair after taking off the shower cap when my hair is a bit steamed and it makes it so soft.

I use it for my wash 'n gos.

I co-wash in the shower. When I get out, I apply some leave-in and then layer castor oil on top. If I'm doing a puff, I will do those steps and then put gel on my edges. Pretty basic.

Castor Oil really locks in moisture in my hair, and I lurves it!!!!

OT: Priss Pot your growth is amazing.

I use castor oil to seal or lay down edges. I think the oil I have is way too thick, though.

This is what I'm using.
http://vitanetonline.com/images/products/32%20castor%20oil.jpg

Last edited:
Back