How do you walk in the spirit? What does it mean?

Innocent_Kiss

My pastor has been teaching on the spirit for the past two Sundays. Each time, I feel so fullfilled and convicted by each message. I understand that o bring your flesh under submission, you have to walk in the spirit. How do you do that? What does it mean to walk in the spirit? Does that mean feeding your spiritman by doing things like prayer, reading your word, regularly attending Church, etc?

Galation 5: 16-23
"16: This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17: For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18: But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. 19: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20: Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21: Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23: Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law

Basically walking in the spirit is walking by the spirit's revelations, the fruits of the spirit oppose to the works of the flesh.

The way of the flesh is easy to follow, you just do what comes natural and many walk in it but the way of the Spirit is more difficult because it takes dicipline and a denying of your flesh.

ex: You want to fornicate or commit adultry and you know that's wrong and of the flesh and if you give in you are walking in the flesh, but if you fight the urge and use temperance (fruit of spirit) and say no, I'm not going to do it and wait on God through longsuffering(fruit of spirit) then you're dening your flesh, therefore walking in the spirit. You are obeying the spirit rather than the flesh.

This is not an overnight process it is a growing process, but the more you walk with the Lord the more manifestion of the fruit of the spirit you should began to see manifesting in your life.

The more you allow the manifestation of the fruit of the spirit in your life the more you'll look like Christ.

JMHO

Be blessed

Galation 5: 16-23
"16: This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17: For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18: But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. 19: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20: Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21: Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23: Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law

Basically walking in the spirit is walking by the spirit's revelations, the fruits of the spirit oppose to the works of the flesh.

The way of the flesh is easy to follow, you just do what comes natural and many walk in it but the way of the Spirit is more difficult because it takes dicipline and a denying of your flesh.

ex: You want to fornicate or commit adultry and you know that's wrong and of the flesh and if you give in you are walking in the flesh, but if you fight the urge and use temperance (fruit of spirit) and say no, I'm not going to do it and wait on God through longsuffering(fruit of spirit) then you're dening your flesh, therefore walking in the spirit. You are obeying the spirit rather than the flesh.

This is not an overnight process it is a growing process, but the more you walk with the Lord the more manifestion of the fruit of the spirit you should began to see manifesting in your life.

The more you allow the manifestation of the fruit of the spirit in your life the more you'll look like Christ.

JMHO

Be blessed

Amen, just pray and ask the Lord to teach you how to walk in the Spirit and he will show you let him do it through you....just ask Him:yep:

Good question Innocent. I agree with what Dreamer has said.

Let me just add that first and foremost, in order to walk in the spirit you have to be born again.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the spirit is spirit. John 3: 6

So after being born again you should be, techinically, walking in the spirit. We should not be engaging in the same old things that we were when we were of the flesh.

In Romans 12:1,2 Paul tell us to to present our bodies (flesh) as a living sacrifice unto the Lord and not to be conformed to the world (an anti-God system) but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.

And how do we renew our minds? By studying His word. Add to that praying, fasting and going to church and, yep, you have answered your own question. It is a process. We tend to be much more body concious than spirit concious. Is my hair falling right? Do I have my lip liner on perfectly? As oppose to: Did I study this morning? Did I spend some time talking to God AND listening?

Difficult? Maybe because the flesh is against the spirit and the spirit is against the flesh (2 Corithians 5:17). But not impossible. It takes sacrifice. But God honors our sacrifices. Walking in the spirit is a necessity because God leads us through the spirit (Romans 8: 14, 16 Proverbs 20:27). But being led by God clearly outweighs the sacrifice. HTH!

Back