How high (or low) is your hair esteem?

htown2DAboot

So I know I'm fabulous, and so are my friends...I'm also newly natural, with a really cute twa, the only one in my circle that's natural. But sometimes....I feel outta place and weird...and I know my hair is going to go through its phases and such until it gets bigger (and maybe even after that)...but does it have to be so..arkward? Lol I'm working on getting over it, cause there are certain times where I do get over my hair issues and don't care...but sometimes I wonder what people see/think when they see me and my friends and our hair...I'm going home in two weeks, and maybe I need a mini shopping clothes/acc spree to help me out...idk...

But enough about me...when you started your hair journey, natural or relaxed how was your hair esteem, and how is it now?

justsimply

I bc'd after about 7 mths of transitioning. I don't prefer my hair really short so I immediately did braid extensions. Some may wonder why I didn't transition longer since I feel this way, but I knew that I wanted to be natural. After about 4 mths, my hair was long enough to sport twists that I could curl. That was all it took. I think most of my styles fit me and for the 2 - 3 days I've questioned I was able to work a scarf. My hair is still short but fortunately I'm past my uncomfortable stage.

Divine Inspiration

When I started my journey, my hair esteem was fine. I have always had thick, long hair, but when I moved, it was impossible for me to find a stylist who cared for my hair the way my former one did. So, that led me to LHCF...I needed to know how to do my hair myself without relying on stylist. This site, while called Long Hair Care Forum, should really be called Life Forum or Healthy Hair Care Forum because it's so much more than long hair!

Anyway, I started stretching...first 2 months, then 3, then 6, then I stretched for an entire year. Then I decided to transition to texlaxed hair. It went really well and I got what I wanted. I realized that transitioning couldn't be that hard if I could go 6 months without texlaxing. So, I decided that I was going to transition until I didn't want to anymore, and if I went natural, fine, and if I didn't, that was fine too.

Here I am, 19 months later, with about .25" of texlaxed ends left in some places and 100% natural in most places. Throughout those 19 months, my hair esteem has fluctuated because I didn't know what to do with my transitioning hair at some of the stages.

My hair esteem is better these days. Bad hair days irk me, but every woman has them on occasion. I'm happy with where I am, and the fact that my hair is thick, healthy, and soft has my hair esteem up...even if it doesn't always look like I just stepped out of a salon.

RegaLady

I have hair low esteem right now. I like it short and that was when I had high hair esteem. But, now it is growing through awkward lengths I don't feel so good about it. I can relate. When everyone has cookie cuter hair and I have hair that is so different that I feel I stick out like a sore thumb, I can have low hair esteem. But, I am learning to feel my best and rock the do'.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i really dont like my hair. i have my razor right here and am contemplating going bald.I dont want to bother with hair at all real or fake. the only thing holding me back is that i will look crazy and right now is not the time.:nono::ohwell:

EOAA

I have low hair self esteem....its not growing fast as i would like
Im still at neck length....But I think 09' has something in store for me

Akemi

I like my hair, but I have low hair esteem, and this is why: I've been co-washing and air-drying a few times per week lately, so my hair has been in ponytails. To me, the ponytails I've been wearing aren't cute. But my hair is growing very well, so I will continue. If my hair was longer (APL) I would feel much, much better.

msa

I don't think my hair-esteem is low or high...it's just kind of in the middle. I love my hair. It fits me perfectly, and every day I'm reminded of that.

The only thing that affects me is that people constantly try to put their negative feelings about my hair onto me. People always have something to say, and it's rarely positive. What people say doesn't make me feel bad about my hair because I refuse to let it. If they don't like it, they can kick rocks. But, I would much rather that people not say anything at all instead of insulting me. So, it's a hassle to deflect the negativity sometimes.

Like anything else, it's been a learning process even though I've been natural my whole life. My hair has really been behaving well as I've gotten to know it better. We have a lovely relationship.

RNmom

I'm really feeling awkward right now because I just started rollersetting and ditching the heat. Sometimes I don't feel as pretty because I'm bunning, and i really thought I looked prettier with my hair down and flat ironed, but I'm learning that I get just as many compliments with my hair up and it really feels good to be good to my hair.

Prose Princess

It's low. :nono: Even though I've made excellent progress in my crown and I used to be almost bald up there, now that I've grown that in I'm getting impatient cuz I want it to be the same length as the rest of my hair NOW. And I want my temples and nape to grow in NOW. As you can see, I'm very impatient.

Not only that, but I'm beginning to realize that my horrible, fast food, college student diet has probably greatly contributed to the dull, dry, rough crap that's been growing out of my head. I realize I probably only have about a year's worth of hair on my head right now because the rest of it broke off, and for the last year I've been eating nothing but junk food. So I realize it's going to take a huge change in my lifestyle to promote healthy hair growth from here on out. I'm prepared to make that change, but guess what...I want healthy hair NOW. lol

Extremus

It's pretty damn high! :grin: Nobody can tell me nothing :look:

Last month I was really hating my hair, but soon after I recently feel in love with it. :)

BostonMaria

My self-esteem is too high to the point of conceit LMAO jk

Rewind to my BC almost 15 months ago. I loved my hair but felt like I was style challenged. Took about 8 months and APL hair for the confidence to kick in. Now I'm walking around like I'm the bomb LOL I found products that worked and it has helped tremendously.

Last edited:

growinstrong

my hair self esteem is both :look:. It's low because I just got a trim and its shorter than I thought it would have been, seeing that I was trying to make a MBL goal soon. On the other hand, its high because it looks soooo much better, I can start the new year off with lucious ends and I got my WL cocktail to look forward to in 09' to get me to MBL :grin:.

Nya33

I'm at a really good place right now in terms of my hair. I'm continually learning things which are benefiting my hair. I'm beginning to see those benefits and hope things can only get better.

I think before i did have low self hair esteem in that i always thought my hair would be unhealthy and never grow but i know that is not the case.:yep:

goldenchica

OMG! I was just thinking about this!

So, this is what I'm thinking: its sometimes uncomfortable rocking my TWA (BCd 6 weeks ago) because without long(er) hair there is NOTHING for me to hide behind, its just little old me in all my glory (or acne :lachen:) and thats sometimes slightly unnerving.

That being said, I have to admit that most days I worry that I'm in more danger now of being the vainest chick on the planet because I now knooow that I can look HAWT whether I have hair or not!

And, it definitely helps that I have a lot of guy friends who are reeeeally supportive and that, just this week (the 6 wk mark) EVERYONE was noticing my growth:grin:

Junebug D

It's alright. I'm not too frustrated with it right now. It's at a suitable length, where I feel I can reach my goals with a year of great care. I'm just trying to stay motivated and find a routine that works for me.

prospurr4

Good question, OP!

Before I began my hair journey, or even knew hair boards existed, my hair esteem was way up there. My hair was finally shoulder length, the longest it had ever been in my life. However, after I found LHCF and saw all the beautiful heads of hair, I realized my hair kinda sucked in comparison and down went the hair esteem.:sad:

Fast forward two years later, my hair has gained health, thickness and lengths that I didn't even think were possible. I am so grateful, and my hair esteem is thru the roof!:grin:

truequeen06

My hair esteem is pretty high. I've been cowashing and slapping some coconut oil on it. After that I just walk out the house and let the air dry my hair. After an hour my hair is in a huge afro/hang thing lol and I LOVES it. Plus it's fun to see people do a double take lol.

cocosweet

My hair self esteem was pretty good. I've stopped being scissor happy. My hairline has recovered from post partum shedding and even though my hair won't hit my year end goal of WL (fell off my growth aids game), I was feeling pretty good about it.

Then...

At approximately, 5:40PM today, I saw Happily Me's hair. :lick: I dunno if I even want Hip Length hair, but suddenly I went from feeling pretty good to feeling inadequate! Like a guppie swimming with dolphins.

I'll feel better tomorrow. :spinning:

pinkchocolatedaisy

I'd actually have to say mine is pretty darn high. I BCed b/c I wanted to and was not one for transitioning. I think it's a matter of taking really good care of your hair, being comfortable in your skin (and hair) and finding the right products and regimen that work for you. I think I have so I feel good. Plus, I get inspiration from seeing so many ladies with natural hair that have made excellent progress. Instead of letting it get me down about my current length, it just makes me step up my game and learn from my mistakes.

Tranquility

There are good hair days and bad hair days. The good hair days come unexpected and I enjoy them. I am bothered when I am specifically trying to go for a certain look and of course it never happens the way I plan it. Frustrations are common. I have to remind myself to be relax and be patient.

Southernbella.

I have very high hair esteem. The longer it gets, the higher my esteem gets. When I first BC'd, it was pretty low, but I think that's natural for most newly naturals. Once you start playing around with your hair and seeing how versatile it is, you will start to feel much better. :yep:

TCatt86

I absolutely love my hair!!! Even when it's looking a mess I love it. I really try alot of different styles and even though I don't like short hair I have learned to love it. Shrinkage is a b***h but it's apart of being natural.