How HOT does your Pibbs 514 get?

Pandora

How HOT does your Pibbs 514 Kwik Dry get?

Hey guys,

I just received my Pibbs 514 Kwik dry.

Question for those of you who own a 514, how HOT does yours get? Do the temperature settings, from 20 to 50 for instance, take a while to kick in or do you feel the difference pretty immediately?

I ask because I had to send the first one I received back, {no heat, only fan} and am a bit paranoid about this huge expense working as it should.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited:

Evazhair

55 on mine is too hot. I go from 40-45 to 20 and within a few secs the temp changes. There has to be a transition but I am never like waiting for the temp to change.

froggie08

My PIBBS doesn't take very long at all to get I hotI have always kept my temp at 50, I've never needed to go higher.

MizAvalon

I have the Pibbs 512. It has Low, Medium, and High. Medium gets plenty hot and that's what I use mine on. I can't even imagine how hot High would be. I would be burned up.

Pandora

Do you guys mean HOT as in "it feels super hot even on my hand" if I stick my hand under the dryer when my head isn't under it? Or it feels super hot when SITTING under the dryer in rollers?

My dryer feels hot on my hand at 70 - but I wouldn't say SUPER super hot. Haven't tried it out properly yet, am concerned that it's as hot as it should be after having to send back first one.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Transformer

It cycles. It get hot...cuts back a few degrees ...and then hot again. I have the 514. I wanted a dryer so hot that my hair would steam. I got my wish. I can't stand it at 60 or 70!

medica

i posted the same question a few months back about my 512. i ordered from imperial sales and the 1st dryer came damaged so i was nervous when the replacement didn't get as hot as i thought it should have. when i posted here, everyone said their pibbs got really hot to the point where they would start burning/sweating- that didn't happen the first time i used it.

i ended up taking the plastic frame that separates the drying area from the motor and applying pressure to each of the parts that insert into each other; i figured that some of the connections might have come loose during shipping. i have done stuff like this before and felt comfortable (of course, the unit was unplugged). i didn't feel any loose connections when i did that but when i used the dryer a few days later, there was DEFINITELY more heat coming out. it got really hot, and i started to sweat a bit (not as much as i did with my gold n'hot because the airflow is more effective)--i was so relieved! the inside is really basic--there are a series of plastic connectors that are connected with wires- not as complicated as i thought it would be. of course, this may not be the issue with your dryer. hope this helps...

Pandora

Thanks to all of you for your input!

I sat under it today - it definitely feels hotter sitting under it than it does waving my hand underneath, duh. And it does reach the temperature it's programmed to in a reasonable amount of time. I am pleased!

Thanks so much again for helping me through my paranoia!

Pandora

"Pandora, do you stand it at 70 ? "
sat under yesterday to dry my hair - I kept the temp at 55 down to 50. It was plenty hot.
I'm thinking I probably couldn't stand sitting under it at 70.

If I could stand 70 for an extended period, my Pibbs is probably not reaching its heat potential, huh?

Pandora

Pandora, do you stand it at 70 ?
sat under yesterday to dry my hair - I kept the temp at 55 down to 50. It was plenty hot.
I'm thinking I probably couldn't stand sitting under it at 70.

If I could stand 70 for an extended period, my Pibbs is probably not reaching its heat potential, huh?

hot_pepper96

I usually start it at 60 and leave it for about 15 mins so that it gets hot and then I take it down to 50 and dry my hair for an hour. 50 is hot enough.