Cheaper Alternatives to Pibbs Kwik dry 514

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Pibbs Kwik Dry 514. Preferably around the 100 - 150 range that has comparable performance?

For those that currently use the Pibbs Kwik Dry 514 what is the thickness and length of your hair and how long does it take to dry a rollerset?

Currently takes me 3+ hours under my $30 Conair hooded dryer and I am in desperate need of alternatives,.

I would like to know the answer to this too. I have thick hair and it takes me hours to dry my hair under my Gold N Hot when doing my rollersets. I am thinking about asking for a Pibbs Kwik Dry for my coming bday but if I could find something cheaper I would prefer to get that instead

The Pibbs Kwik Dry is what they use in my dominican salon. My rollerset is completely dry in one hour.

I agree with Caligirl. My hair is almost waist length and it takes about an hour on medium setting.

I've been using my Pibbs Kwik dry 514 since Dec 2002. My 4a hair is very THICK and about 2 inches past my bra strap. It takes me 1 hour and 10 minutes to completely dry my roller sets. I used to struggle with a Conair hooded dryer which took at least 3 to 4 hours to dry my sets. I highly recommend investing in the Pibbs dryer.

Thanks for the replies.

Gorgeoushair, is the ionic dryer on wheels like the Pibbs? Where can it be purchased?

How long do you think the Pibbs will last 5 years, 10 years? Does it come with a warranty. Just a little hesistant about spending $300 dollars for a dryer although I ususally set under the dryer weekly either for twistouts or rollersets.

ROZELIDA_80 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Gorgeoushair, is the ionic dryer on wheels like the Pibbs? Where can it be purchased?

How long do you think the Pibbs will last 5 years, 10 years? Does it come with a warranty. Just a little hesistant about spending $300 dollars for a dryer although I ususally set under the dryer weekly either for twistouts or rollersets.

$300.00 Oh My No it's not on wheels It's been discussed on here before Maybe you could do a search

Any other inexpensive alternatives to this dryer that dries fast and can fit big rollers? Please advise.

My bday is next week and I told BF that I wanted a pibbs. Its on ebay for $249 plus shipping. Be sure to check there.

For those with hair that is BSL and longer, what size or color rollers do you use? What is the largest size rollers that you can use that will allow your entire head to fit under the pibbs?

Browndilocks said:
My bday is next week and I told BF that I wanted a pibbs. Its on ebay for $249 plus shipping. Be sure to check there.

For those with hair that is BSL and longer, what size or color rollers do you use? What is the largest size rollers that you can use that will allow your entire head to fit under the pibbs?[/quote] I dont have BSL hair, but Macherieamour uses the grey magnetic rollers. The reason I know is because Im forever stalking her blog site!!:lol:

I just purchased a Pibbs Kwik 514 from a store in Atlanta called Buy Rite Beauty. It was $265+ tax. I could have picked it up to save on shipping and handling but I live an hour away and it would have been the same amount as the gas. I cannot wait. For those interested www.buyritebeauty.com

Browndilocks said:

For those with hair that is BSL and longer, what size or color rollers do you use? What is the largest size rollers that you can use that will allow your entire head to fit under the pibbs?

BUMPING...................

I just purchased this one on ebay for $145.00 and only $28 for shipping. I did get a discount from the seller so I ended up only paying $155.99 total including shipping. It's a 1000 watts of heat has a timer and temp setting, flip visor, 1 yr warranty and 30 days money back guarantee. They also replace it if something goes wrong during shipping. They have their own website outside of ebay and it sells for $175 not including shipping, they say the retail value is over $300 so I hope it gets the job done.

The sale ends today in about 10 hrs. and there are 4 available only in white, the black sold out. Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180085014002&rd=1&rd=1

h-606e.jpg

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I just purchased this one on ebay for $145.00 and only $28 for shipping. I did get a discount from the seller so I ended up only paying $155.99 total including shipping. It's a 1000 watts of heat has a timer and temp setting, flip visor, 1 yr warranty and 30 days money back guarantee. They also replace it if something goes wrong during shipping. They have their own website outside of ebay and it sells for $175 not including shipping, they say the retail value is over $300 so I hope it gets the job done.

The sale ends today in about 10 hrs. and there are 4 available only in white, the black sold out. Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180085014002&rd=1&rd=1

h-606e.jpg

WHAT BRAND IS IT? DO POST A REVIEW ONCE YOU HAVE USED IT! TAHNKS.

BeautifulWideEyes said:

h-606e.jpg

WHAT BRAND IS IT? DO POST A REVIEW ONCE YOU HAVE USED IT! THANKS.

has anyone ever used the ConairProâ„¢ Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer?

It looks like this:

cn%2dcphhdr_FULL.jpg

A portable, freestanding, 1500 watt dryer.
It features 3 temperature settings and adjustable height.

It costs from $100-169 on the sites that I've visited. I'm thinking of getting this, but wanted to know if anyone has used it before.

secretdiamond said:

It looks like this:

cn%2dcphhdr_FULL.jpg

It costs from $100-169 on the sites that I've visited. I'm thinking of getting this, but wanted to know if anyone has used it before.

I thought about buying this one from Sally's or eBay, but didn't know enough about it. Review(s), por favor?! My the end of this year I'll be giving up on these five hour washing sessions with my Hot Tools dryer, lol!!

secretdiamond said:

It looks like this:

cn%2dcphhdr_FULL.jpg

It has more watts than the 1000 watt Pibbs Dryer. So, this should be comparable...I would think. If I bought this, I would put it on medium to low. I would be afraid to put it on high.

very interesting, that white one above that looks just like a pibbs, i would think it would be comparable since it is modeled just like a pibbs. but the question is does it has the worldwind action going on? that is the great thing about pibbs that makes the hair dry super fast...the worldwind action. As for that connair, i highly doubt that it has that nor does the gold n hot since they are so cheap. just my guess. i have the pibbs

I have the Conair. I've had it for almost 3 years now. It does dry well, has 3 heat settings & gets quite warm. I haven't done a rollerset in awhile but when I did it took about 1hour 15 mins to dry.

rdm said:
It has more watts than the 1000 watt Pibbs Dryer. So, this should be comparable...I would think. If I bought this, I would put it on medium to low. I would be afraid to put it on high.

i seen this on amazon.com and they have some similar by Babyliss for $159.99-179.99.

http://www.amazon.com/BaByliss-Ther...ref=sr_1_38/105-6068333-6295669?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

it says that:

A professional ionic dryer with 1600 watts of power and built-in airflow diffuser that lets you enjoy professional quality and salon-results.

New ionic technology conditions the hair for a softer, shinier look - reduces frizz and dries the hair faster.

3 temperature settings. Adjustable bonnet with lift up visor for added convenience. Removable inlet grill. Heavy duty spine locks adapter to secure bonnet to inner chrome stand.
Easy to assemble, snap-in wheels with open track - prevents hair from clogging inner surface. Heavy duty anchor bolt to lock base and poles in place.

Durable base provides easy maneuverability and prevents tipping. Adjustable height. Easy to clean. Rustproof chrome plated inner and outer stand

this one is only $107.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Tools-Tou...ref=sr_1_29/105-6068333-6295669?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

Tourmaline, Direct ION TECHNOLOGY, Fast drying 1875 Watts

2 Speed / 4 heat options, Ion on / off feature

Large bonnet accommodates even the largest rollers, Adjustable front visor

Lint filter removes for cleaning, Two lockable wheels for stability

9-ft. cord, Legs remove from base for compact storage, One-year warranty

Hot Tools Tourmaline IONIC 1875 Watt Rollaround Dryer with Pro-Moisture System Model 1059 Pro-Moisture System with tourmaline and ionic nano technologies changes dryings effect on hair, transforming heat and airflow into a moisture-enhancing spa treatment! Creates healthy, shiny, beautiful hair Tourmaline nano particles naturally generate far-infrared energy when heated. This penetrating form of heat passes through the hair cuticle, going directly to the cortex to dry it first. The cuticle is not over-dried and resists brittleness and cracking, helping hair maintain its shine and softness. Tourmaline also helps cleanse hair of odors and impurities Patented direct ION TECHNOLOGY is an active ion emission system. Hundreds of millions of negatively charged nano ions are created by an electronic component inside the dryer and deposited directly onto wet hair. The ions separate water into smaller droplets which are easier for hair to absorb, increasing its moisture content and reducing frizz. Tourmaline, a natural source of ions, enhances ion output

I have used any personally, but that Hot Tools one has me thinking about buying one.

Last edited:
Back