How I AVOID Single Strand Knots with a Wash N' Go

tthreat08

Hello Ladies,

I wanted to share this with you as for so long I've queried the board for an answer to how to avoid these knots. So, I thought it my duty to share with my "hair sisters" what I've learned. Some of you may already have known this secret, but for me it's new. :yep: Here goes:

For a significant period of time (maybe the past 9 months or so), I've been consistently wearing wash n' gos more often than not. Prior to now, I really didn't like wearing them very frequently for the simple fact that my hair would be loaded with single strand knots....and that was of course a no go. Thus, I avoided the wash n' go. Over time, I made the risky sacrifice of experimenting with my wash n' go to determine how I could wear the style (as it is one my faves....and so so easy for me) without those pesky knots. I tried a variety of products and product combinations, and ultimately discovered that the product is not so much the answer as much as the technique. Here is what I learned works for MY hair. It's actually quite simple....stretching my curls. We all know that wearing stretched hair styles keeps the knots at bay....however, I didn't want to have to twist or braid my hair before wearing it out natural. I really enjoy the ease of washing....and going....So here is what I do:

After washing or conditioner washing (whatever may be the case at the time), I apply my product (either mixed chicks...or simply leaving in conditioner) and then allow my hair to begin drying while I carry on with my morning routine. Following this, I either:

1. Use a diffuser to dry (on cool setting) while pulling the curls (especially the ends). This allows my hair to dry in a stretched state...

OR

2. While I allow my hair to air dry, I periodically pull the curls to stretch them achieving the same result as above.

I have found through practice that using the diffuser is much easier as I do not have to leave home with wet hair. I do not experience any damage at all, no splits or knots, and my style lasts a minimum of 3 days.

Here is a pic of a stretched wash n' go from a couple months ago...

Qurlyqt

Turned out gorgeous! I love your hair... but I really love the w&g on you! Thanks for your input because like many, I avoid the w&g like the plague because of the knots and tangles that result.

Janet'

:congrats: :congrats: I'm glad that you figured out what works for you. I love wash and go's and I learned how to modify my wash and go too. The pic is cute!

tthreat08

Thanks Ladies! Janet' what is your modification? Maybe what works for me may not work for others, so other methods that work are welcome! BTW, I am 3b/3c for ladies who may want to know.

Janet'

My modification is that after applying my leave-in (Mixed Chicks), I use a paddle brush/denman to detangle/evenly distribute the conditioner from root to tip. The brush defines my curls and alleviates SSKs...I'm not good at typing but I've been told that I am a thick-haired 4a/3c...

ETA: Attached is a pic of a typical Wash and Go for me...

Attachments

• Hope's Night Out 008.jpg
    Hope's Night Out 008.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Simply_elle

:perplexed

Thought that was just me...I thought only TWA's got ssk's....Eh BC my hair isnt long enough to hang therefore goes up and tangles..LOL...wow.(Don't ask:lol::laugh:) Thank you ladies bunches...I kept mine at bay with KCCC or Eco styler gel smoothing root to tip...But winter time thats a no-no... I already love some MC..gotta try!! :bighug:

tthreat08

Thank you Ladies. And yes, a diffuser changed the realm of possibilities for my curly styles. I can have tight ringlets without it (and run he risk of knots) or fuller styles with elongated curls (which I've grown to prefer).

janet

My modification is that after applying my leave-in (Mixed Chicks), I use a paddle brush/denman to detangle/evenly distribute the conditioner from root to tip. The brush defines my curls and alleviates SSKs...I'm not good at typing but I've been told that I am a thick-haired 4a/3c...

ETA: Attached is a pic of a typical Wash and Go for me...

Janet do you use mixed chicks in the winter too?

Fine 4s

I'm glad you figured it out!
I'm still scuuurred.
I'm thinking about going to Miss Jessie's or Dickey to see if they can do it and I'll see how it turns out.

wyldcurlz

TThreat08 - HOW do you get your curls/styles to last 3 days? i can't even get second day hair. Thanks for the tip. i suffer with SSKs big time. will try this stretching and see how it goes!

Janet'

Janet do you use mixed chicks in the winter too?

Yes, ma'am I do...but I also modify that by throwing my hair back into a ponytail. I did just purchase a diffuser, so I'm anxious to see how that is going to work!