How I Overcame (Blank)

simplyconfident

As we all know, a HHJ comes with many trials and tribulations. I thought it would be a good idea to have an easy reference to hair problems and possible solutions. What dilemmas have you faced and what helped you overcome. As always, what works for one might not work for another...but it might be worth a try.:grin:

Please post your topic in the following format:

How I overcame _____.
Make sure this is your starting line in bold for easy refrence. Include what products/techniques helped you along the way. Also feel free to elaborate as much as you like including helpful links and before and after pictures.

Here are some possible topics:

Breakage
Porosity issues
Thinning edges
Dry/Brittle hair
Protein overload
Thin ends
Product junkie
Stretching relaxers
Slow growth rate
Chemical damage (color/relaxer)
Difficult transition
Ugly roller sets or braid outs

ajoyfuljoy

HOW I OVERCAME THIN ENDS

I overcame my thin ends by slowly cutting the hair that I grew pre-LHCF b/c it was doomed :lachen:

I have a completely different head of hair now. My hair is super thick from root to ends now. I know many on this board wouldn't do that but I love bluntness so it works for me.

Also, switching to lye relaxer has ensured that my strands remain thick. While my hair is wet, I can also tell a marked difference b/t the lye and no-lye hair. Both are healthy but the lye hair is twice as thick. I am never going back to no-lye.

simplyconfident

How I overcame protein overload:

After my usual prepoo and cowash I deciede to try Joico K Pac for the first time. Whitin 1 min my hair went from moisturized and supple to dry and brittle. I tried to follow up with a moisturizing DC but everthing I put on my head my hair just laughed at. My hair was so hard I couldn't even detangle it without risking a lot of breakage. All I could do is gently pull it back in a bun with my usual moisturizer and leave in and wait until the next few days to try again. So 2 days latter I did my DC on dry hair with Shescentit Banana Brulee overnight and the next day I cowashed and my hair was back to normal!!

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
How I overcame Dry/Brittle hair-

-losing the keracare
products I used to use the whole line
-using diluted shampoo on scalp only( I was heavyhanded with poo before)
- make sure I get my moisture from my dc then maintain that moisture in between: lightly moisturize as needed
-prepooing with moisturizing rinse out conditioner
-chelating regularly-switching to affirm lye from the sensitive scalpone- reserve cones for my leave ins only preferably water soluble
-minding the protein moisture balance- this is individual, you have to come to know when its time to use it

How I overcame Protein overload
-eliminating all protein from my regimen until back to normal
-as little manipulation as possible until back to normal
-protective styling & keeping all of hair moisturized and sealed
-realizing than my hair reacts strongly to even "mild" proteins

How I overcame Difficult transition

-detangling on dry hair with oil and poo/dc in braids/barettes to keep relaxed ends detangled
-avoiding cones in deep conditioners
- realizing that I only need to change products when they stop working vs. going out and buying detanglers, rinseouts,etc. just because I am transitioning that I really don't need yet as I have wayyyyy more relaxed hair than ng. That stuff will come in handy later.
-2 words: behentrimonium methosulfate in products- good for wavy/curly hair
-don't let my hair dry out- lightly oil or moisturize as needed depending on style
-being sure to maintain protein/moisture balance and using a reconstructor once a month or more as necessary ( I can tell when its necessary, because my demarcation line starts to feel rough)

How I overcame Ugly roller sets
- using light creamy leave ins with little to no protein i.e salerm 21, lacio lacio(original formula)
-pibbs 514- dries my hair completely and evenly with less heat so cuticle dries flat, hair is shiny and moisturized.
-not using oils,serum to rollerset- it only made my fine hair greasy- I use a dime size amount of oil after removing rollers, very little
-using 2 pea sized amounts of moisturizer for my ends and bantu knotting to maintain

Beaute Noire

How I overcame _____.

Breakage
Porosity issues
Thinning edges
Dry/Brittle hair
Protein overload
Thin ends
Product junkie
Stretching relaxers
Slow growth rate
Chemical damage (color/relaxer)
Difficult transition
Ugly roller sets or braid outs

^^First of all, :thankyou: for starting this thread! 1yr ago My Edges were atrocious due to glued in weaves:nono:. It was devastating:cry:. Although they are slowly but surely growing back, the damage is still there and some of it is irreversible. With that said, I'm really proud with how far I've come with the overall health of my hair. Initially when this happened, I was way to embarrassed/paranoid to wear my hair out. But with the support of my BF/family I have not put a weave in my hair for over 6mos!! That is huge for me :yep:. My hair is so much thicker now and I'm finally happy with it when I look in the mirror:yep:.
I attribute most of my progress to LHCF. Aphogee, Jajoba Oil, Pree-pooing, weekly DCing and avoidance of all heat in the area that my hair is damaged (since I have side-bangs that are growing out, I won't even blow-dry my edges..let alone flatiron). I just DO NOT manipulate that area.
After recovering from this setback I am so excited and hopeful to see my progress in the next 6mo's. I just feel really blessed and thankful, which is something I definitely didn't feel before!

DarkHair

How I overcame a thinning crown:

Some years ago I went to a stylist for a relaxer. Her poo girl detangled and yanked my hair from the root. I had 1/2 in long hair at the top. Until this year my hair was thin. Therefore I:
-detangled from tip to root
-applied MN (Monistat) to thin area
-applied BeeMine to rest of hair
-nightly scalp massages (mostly provided by dh)
-rollerset the top
-no direct heat to the thinning hair
-constant trims to even up the growing area to the already long hair

*according to my Dr, I should still have a thin crown, which is a symptom of PCOS...but I don't :grin:

foxee

How I overcame heat damage

Pre-LHCF I flat ironed the front of my hair with no heat protectant twice to match the texture of a sew-in. My hair began shedding badly. After joining and reading through the boards I began co-washing with Aussie Moist twice a week, moisturizing and then sealing with coconut oil and EVOO. My edges also suffered greatly, so I used a mixture of castor oil and MegaTek. I'm happy to report that my edges have grown back and the condition of my hair has improved immensely and I owe it all to LHCF! :)

remilaku

How I overcame thin locs.

I stoped cleaning up my newgrowth so much. I freeform now. I don't clean up at all.
I sew all of my locs together. That was 1 year ago. I only clean up when I see a thin loc now.