How important is pre-pooing to your regimen?

TexturedTresses

I regulary do a prepoo myself. However, I just clarified and didn't pre-poo and my hair still came out shiny and moisturized just less heavy. Also, if you use a sulfate free shampoo is it less important to pre-poo? I guess I just want to know what the benefits are. Thank you for any responses.

cutiebe2

I used to prepoo but now I just apply deep conditioner to dry hair and then shampoo after that (then I may but a cheaper condish in for 3 mins while I shower). So with this method I have less of a need to prepoo...I my comes out the same

lilsparkle825

im in line with the above; i DC before shampooing (and sometimes i just rinse out the DC and call it a day) so i guess that is technically a pre-poo...

SEMO

I pre-poo before washes when my hair has been dry and misbehaving. I use VO5 conditioners.

soulie

Does anyone think the prepoo will make a difference when dealing with advanced NG?

Nonie

Not important at all. I don't do it. Laziness I guess, and also a reluctance to fix what isn't broken. Never had a problem not doing it, so why start now?

btrflyrose

This is exactly what I do, DC, shampoo, cowash. It also prevents me from having to jump in and out of the shower.:yep:

If I were to count how many times I had to get in and out of the shower...especially when henna is involved :spinning:

So, I when it comes to conditioner pre wash, I just apply it to my dry hair.

Lady Esquire

This is exactly what I do, DC, shampoo, cowash. It also prevents me from having to jump in and out of the shower.:yep:

I have been doing it in this order a lot lately. Its just as effective as prepooing, shampooing, and then DCing.

I feel like oil or condish applied to the hair prior to shampooing helps prevent stripping my hair of its oils. And my hair has thrived ever since I have made it a regular practice.

Lucky's Mom

Pre Pooing has been a staple of mine for a long time now........
This has changed my hair.:yep:..I still use non sulfate shampoos.

poookie

i've pre-pooed at just about every wash for a year now. it's really helped my hair, and makes the new growth VERY easy to deal with. i'm finding that when i use a deep-conditioner to pre-poo with (i do this just about every time), my new growth comes out very soft and curly. i can run my fingers right through it. the last time i was quite a few weeks post relaxer, and i didn't deep pre-poo, my new growth was a nightmare to deal with, lol

MA2010

Does anyone think the prepoo will make a difference when dealing with advanced NG?

I've only really done it with Shikaikai oils and such and I can tell you my 12 week post NG are so managable because of the oil prepoos. I won't do it often, maybe once or twice a month during the next stretch, but it was well worth it. :lick:

I will def. do regular conditioner prepoos though!!! HTH!:yep:

Tarae

OP, your hair looks so nice in your siggy.

I used to pre-poo all the time but now I only do it when I have a lot of new growth.

TexturedTresses

OP, your hair looks so nice in your siggy.

I used to pre-poo all the time but now I only do it when I have a lot of new growth.

thank you.

I think I'm going to start dowing the pre shampoo dc and then post shampoo cowash. That sounds like a lot less work. But I have to ask, do you think that maybe the conditioner penetrates better on clean freshly washed hair then it does on dirty hair?

cocomochaa

if im using a shampoo then i always prepoo with a conditioner and amla if its a cowash then i don't bother.

darkangel25

I used to prepoo but now I just apply deep conditioner to dry hair and then shampoo after that (then I may but a cheaper condish in for 3 mins while I shower). So with this method I have less of a need to prepoo...I my comes out the same

This is what I do as well.

Lucky's Mom

How do you feel it's changed your hair?

My hair is in Optimal condition, for the most part. I don't have to do any major experiments with products only because I know what works. The most important aspect of this is that I do not have dry hair. It is optimally moisturized and treated properly. If ever have a slight setback.... which is a splt end or 2 - I trim. Other wise. I don't have any major problems.

I do Protien treatments,yogurts, caramels, deep moisture, etc as pre poos. all post poos are moisture. I have had complete success with this method.

So - Pre poos = great hair for me. I do NOT wash my hair without Pre pooing.

Last edited: