How long does your twistout/braidout last?

How long does your twistout/braidout last?

• Only 1 day

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • 2 days max

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • 3 days or more

Votes: 50 45.5%
  • I have never done a twistout/braidout.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • What's a twistout/braidout?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

prospurr4

After seeing so many beautiful twistouts/braidouts on this board, I have decided to do a twistout by making flat twists on damp hair. However, I hesitate because I like styles that last a few days and can survive my sweaty workouts before having to redo them. My hair is 4b texlaxed, and I would love to do this style during my latter weeks post relaxer.

For those who have worn a twistout/braidout, how long does yours last? If it's more than one day, please share your tips, products, techniques (especially for bedtime) that you've used.

Thanks for your responses.
icon7.gif

my braidouts can last about five days; by the third or fourth day my hair looks a little frizzy, but during the first three days it looks pretty fresh and the curls and waves still look well defined.

At bedtime, i part my hair in the back in the middle and pull sections forward and secure them with hair pins. i sleep with a satin pillow case and i don't wrap my hair at night. the only downside is that i have to sleep on my back the entire night. sometimes i will re-braid the sides at night so i can sleep on my sides as well. i hope this helps.:drunk:

About five days........I just make two sections and rebraid to keep the frizzes away and tie with a satin scarf.......My fotki shows what products I use

Mine usually only last for 1 day :look: I don't know if its the fact that I workout or that I'm generally paranoid about tangles when I wear my hair down. I'd love to be able to at least get two days out of them :ohwell:

Last edited:
i've been basically working and reworking the same twist out since the 15th of january :perplexed but i definitely have to moisten it up and do some miss celie twists at night to do it.

so it's been going from twist out to twist out to puff ball to twist out back to puff ball, another twist-out and on and on.

unmanipulated twist-outs only last me a couple days.

Mine usually only last for 1 day :look: I don't know if its the fact that I workout or that I'm generlly paranoid about tangles when I wear my hair down. I'd love to be able to at least get two days out of them :ohwell:

Concerning the "bold" part, this is why I have hesitated. I have a feeling mine wouldn't last through one of my workouts. :ohwell:

i've been basically working and reworking the same twist out since the 15th of january :perplexed but i definitely have to moisten it up and do some miss celie twists at night to do it.

so it's been going from twist out to twist out to puff ball to twist out back to puff ball, another twist-out and on and on.

Your hair is gorgeous, LynnieB!

Twist outs lasts three days . I just put my granny cap on at night and spritz in the morning and I'm out the door

Give it a try..I work out a the gym 4 days a week....and run outside about 8 miles a week ......and mine last about 5 days.......Oh I do braid my hair during my workouts

Give it a try..I work out a the gym 4 days a week....and run outside about 8 miles a week ......and mine last about 5 days.......Oh I do braid my hair during my workouts

So, you rebraid your hair during your workouts...great tip. I think I will give it a try, thanks so much for the encouragement,Traycee!

Mine last a week but I re-braid every night otherwise the waves would flatten out and I don't like that look.

Mine only last a day. Once I sleep on it, it's done. If I try to rebraid it, my hair gets horribly tangled. I think it might also be the length - if it was a little longer, it might be able to be rebraided...possibly. *makes a note for next years style*

I'm lucky to get a day or two out of mine. One workout or hot shower and my hair either straightens or frizzes up.:ohwell:

Yep. This is me exactly!

Mine usually only last for 1 day :look: I don't know if its the fact that I workout or that I'm generally paranoid about tangles when I wear my hair down. I'd love to be able to at least get two days out of them :ohwell:

Ditto!:sad: I cannot make mine last more than a day without some of them flattening out and looking crazy. I've tried re-braiding them, but it ends up messing up the original wave pattern and making it just look fuzzy. I sleep hard, I think...:ohwell:

I rebraid my braidouts at night to help keep it fresh. I also use a dab of cream moisturizer to keep it smooth and fresh looking.

Mine lasts exactly 3 days. I don't rebraid it either, I just moisturize and sleep in a bonnet, wake up, and "shake-n-go".... It looks more like an afro in 3 days....the first day, it just looks like some crooked tree limbs

Good tips... I can only make mine last for 1 day :ohwell:then I have to rebraid at night. Maybe now it can last a little longer :)

If I have worn my twists for about 2 weeks and washed my hair with the twists in, my twistout will easily last a week unless it is really humid. At night I just do a few ponytails and put on my silk scarf. If I do a loose/less defined twistout for fluffy hair, I will have to retwist it at night to have definition the next day.

I use my homemade mango curly pudding for a braidout. It lasts several days until I usually wash it out. I don't have to re-braid it.

braidout-vi.jpg

I'm new at twisting, but so far my twists have lasted 3 or more days because I take them out before I wash.
DSC01085.JPG

If I don't re-twist/re-braid, it wouldn't last more than a day :ohwell:

But mine usually last until the next wash. It always looks fresh cuz it re-do it a night. Someone asked me questions about them, so here are some tips I copied/pasted from my fotki:

1. You get tighter curls, and less "drop", with wet hair. So I do twists outs and/or braidouts on dry hair (for me, airdried hair) only. This preserves some sort of length and prevents me from looking like a mushroom head lol.

2. The bigger the braid, the better the wave! The downside to this, are that your edges (if you have a lot of new growth) must be covered. So add a head scarf to dress up the style, and cover your hairline.

3. Use a little extra moisturizer that you would normally use to moisturize your hair as if you were wearing it straight. I put as much moisturizer to make my hair "damp" with the moisturizer. By morning, your hair would soak it up, you wouldn't have to worry about softness or shine.

4. If you use a roller on the ends, your hair would look shorter. I prefer to use cut-up stockings (pantyhose) by cutting the leg part into little scrunchies. These are more gentle on my hair than scrunchies. I just let the length of my hair "hang".

5. Try to make the parts in an angle so that when unloose the braid and finger comb your hair, the waves should drop and cover the parts.

6. For some reason, cornrows come out better than plaits (for me). Don't know why!

I've never tried to wear one for more than one day. I usually retwist my hair after detangling at the end of the day or if I'm too tired, baggy and then detangle and retwist one by one the next day (usually a day I'm not going anywhere). The lesson I was reminded recently when I wore my first twist-out after doing away w/ braids was why I never apply anything to my hair for twist-outs: the pattern totally disappears if anything from products to water is applied. My last twist-out looked like locs. :grin:

Back