How Long Does Your Wash n' Go/Twist Out/Braid Out Last?

jwhitley6

For me:

Wash n' Go = 1 day (maybe 2 if I wear a puff)
Twist Out = 2 days
Braid Out = 2-3 days.

And I use satin pillow cases, scarves and bonnets. I've seen a few ladies here mention wearing a twist out/braid out for a week or so....Is this common? To all of you who can get 3 or more days out of these styles could you please provide some tips. I'm in kinky twists now because I was manipulating my hair too much....not good. :nono: Thanks in advance!

tricie

It depends...sometimes my twistout will last 2 days, but most of the time just one day. I like it to be uniform, and if I get the least bit of humidity it in, it fluffs out.

gimbap

Usually 2, 3 days at the most. I wish I could figure out how to make my styles last a week.

Sweet_Ambrosia

For wash~n~go's (2-3 days)
I use Eco Styler Gel which helps as far as hold/definition and banding my hair in 3-4 sections at night helps to preserve the style.

For braidouts/twistouts (4-5 days)
I rebraid/retwist at night in larger sections after moisturizing/sealing.

jwhitley6

For wash~n~go's (2-3 days)
I use Eco Styler Gel which helps as far as hold/definition and banding my hair in 3-4 sections at night helps to preserve the style.

For braidouts/twistouts (4-5 days)
I rebraid/retwist at night in larger sections after moisturizing/sealing.

Banding is a good idea. :yep: I've never thought of that.

Also, how do your ends handle the rebraiding every night? Do you moisturize before rebraiding? If so, what do you use....and what products do you use for the initial braid out/ twist out? Thanks!

PrissyPJ

Also, how do your ends handle the rebraiding every night? Do you moisturize before rebraiding? If so, what do you use....and what products do you use for the initial braid out/ twist out? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking this. I am wearing my first braid out and was wondering the same thing. I have been lightly wetting, braiding again with Qhem to achieve the fresh look. But would love not to have to put products on it nightly. Help!!

naturalgyrl5199

Wash-n-go's: I don't do them:nono:
Twists/Braids: a week or more (I do them small now and do up-do's with them)
Twist-outs: 2-3 days.....

I have been making them smaller because (smile AND frown)....my hair is longer.....but now it takes like 2+ hours to do them and I can't re-twist or braid every 2-3 days like I used to:nono:......I definitely cannot do a BRAID OUT or TWIST OUT more than 3 days with 98% humidity in Fl.:wallbash:....even 2 days is pushing it......:perplexed

Chrissy811

I only do twist outs and braid outs. If I do them on freshly washed hair they will last about 3 days before I have to redo them. Sometimes I rebraid, twist every night to get them to last a week.

If I decide to up and do them after my hair is dry, then I have to add product and them they only last about 2 days because the product weighs my hair down and I don't like the way that looks.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
The last WnG I did lasted 3 days. I used KCCC to combat the humidity making it frizz out. I havent done a braid out or twist out yet.

Missjae09

For me:

Wash n' Go = 1 day (maybe 2 if I wear a puff)
Twist Out = 2 days
Braid Out = 2-3 days.

And I use satin pillow cases, scarves and bonnets. I've seen a few ladies here mention wearing a twist out/braid out for a week or so....Is this common? To all of you who can get 3 or more days out of these styles could you please provide some tips. I'm in kinky twists now because I was manipulating my hair too much....not good. :nono: Thanks in advance!

Thanks for this post! I've been trying to figure out the same thing! I thought I was the only person with this problem. I'd just decided to chalk it up to my hair being too short to retain the style.. and that may truly be the case for me but some tips on style retention would be nice for future references!

YankeeCandle

What do you mean by "last?"

My idea of lasting (for a wash and go) is the curls each retaining a bouncy, defined spiral or coil shape. In the cold weather (and with careful sleeping w/ silk scarf; not pulling into a ponytail or scrunchie which stretches curls, etc), that will last maybe 2, at most 3 days.

In the humid heat, 12 hours reduces the tiny curls to a soft cloudy mass without definition. :ohwell:

P.S. my individual strands are both quite thin and pretty fine.

glamazon386

I can only get 1 day out of a wash and go. Twist outs/braid outs I usually can go a week. I usually pull it back and make a puff towards the end of the week.

TLC1020

Braidout... 2 days at most... I sleep on my side, when I wear my bonnet the sides be smashed and flat.. When I fluff it out, the braidout don't look the same and no longer fresh..:ohwell:

TrendySocialite

WnG: 1 day

Twistout: 4-5 days

Braidout: 2 days

Since I believe you should moisturize and seal nightly, I retwist as part of that routine. Kimmaytube does that. After I retwist, I usually spray with moisture mix or water and that gives them a little more "set."

If I'm not ready to wash or co-wash again, then I just wet them with water and spray a little more product on them and keep it going. Since I wash weekly and co-wash weekly (1/2 in between washes) I do not worry about product buildup.

I don't mind frizz...and i like big hair, so I usually like my twist out best on the 2nd day anyway.

alive

incidentally, i don't do any of these styles but i honestly can't see them lasting more than a couple of hours in my hair.
Mdwezi should come and chime in on this one. i know she's had quite the journey with figuring out how to make her styles last longer

iri9109

WnG: 2-5 days depending on what use and how i treat my hair at night.

this is a 5 day old WnG puff:

on the 1st day i cowashed with either aussie moist or HETT and rinsed most of the conditioner out with cool water, and then sealed with castor oil and did a light rinse again then shook out the excess water and pushed the front back with a goody ouchless band and let air dry.

at night i spritz w/ water and put shea butter on my edges and then tie a scarf around the front and leave the back out

around day 3 or 4 the curls loose some definition and might get a lil frizz but i dont mind

i've never done a twist out or braid out

jwhitley6

What do you mean by "last?"

My idea of lasting (for a wash and go) is the curls each retaining a bouncy, defined spiral or coil shape. In the cold weather (and with careful sleeping w/ silk scarf; not pulling into a ponytail or scrunchie which stretches curls, etc), that will last maybe 2, at most 3 days.

In the humid heat, 12 hours reduces the tiny curls to a soft cloudy mass without definition. :ohwell:

P.S. my individual strands are both quite thin and pretty fine.

That is a good questions. :yep: I'm learning from these responses that some people get their styles to "last" by retwisting/braiding every night. I guess I'm most interested in hearing from those who can get the style to last without retwisting/braiding/wetting every day.

I'm in a very humid climate right now so I know what you mean about that "cloudy mass" thing.

jwhitley6

I can only get 1 day out of a wash and go. Twist outs/braid outs I usually can go a week. I usually pull it back and make a puff towards the end of the week.

Hey Glam...is that a week without retwisting/braiding at all?? What products are you using?

afrikurl

In general I don't do wash n gos but I have had them last a week. when I say last i do have to rewet my hair, but not go through the ordeal of detangling and product distribution. I use Long Aid curl activator and Eco styler gel.

Twist/braid outs usually last 2-3 days but I generally don'tleave my hair loose for more than a day or two for fear of a rough detangling session.

Mad Scientist

My wash n go can last up to 3 days if I put it in a pony tail at night and use a good leave-in. I've never had a successful twist or braid out lol

adf23

I don't do twistouts/braidouts- I'm prob not doing them right but I dont like the results for the effort.

My wash n go lasts about 3 days normally before I have to rewet my hair. At night I pineapple my hair into a loose scrunchie at the top of my head and wrap a scarf around the base. Fluff in the am.

thehairmaverick

I only get about a two days with twist outs in the summer (b/c of humidity). I can't really tell for braidouts b/c I would redo the braids each night (I don't really do braidouts anymore). WNG's on the other hand can last a week with kccc or any other gel...

Whimsy

Wash n go - 3 days

Twists - a week max

Twistouts/Braidouts - a week max

It really depends on how fresh I want to look, how I handle my hair at night, and if I style the hair at all (1/2 up or sides back or whatever)