How Long Have We Been Back?

Lilmama1011

Anyway I was feigning to be on here the other day. I did a henna almost two weeks ago and even though I got the good henna that didn't crumble on the floor and spreaded smoothly, my hair was severely dry. It tangled and everything. I took me a hour to detangle and I was pissed but determined not to rip a lot of hair out. I had deep conditioned with a new conditioner I just had purchased a few days ago (biotera ultra color care conditioner) mixed with honey and my usual grapeseed oil. That conditioner had some good slip and I thought my hair was going to be really soft. When I rinsed out several hours later the next day, my hair was so dry. It felt like I had clarified my hair. I assumed it was the henna and said I would use the conditioner the next week assuming it had to balance out. I used it last week and the same thing. I know when trying new things your suppose to try one thing so if one thing goes wrong, you know who the culprit is. But instead I got the reshma henna with one lemon, I got the silk elements leave in and also used a new conditioner. I don't think it's the leave in though. Coconut oil is high on the list for the conditioner and I know henna is a protein. I avoided using protein after the henna but I'm afraid the same thing will happen when I wash in a couple of days. And this week is my clarifying week. I wonder if this will make it worse....

Theresamonet

Yes I do to release the color more

Is this the first time you've had dryness with this combo?

I actually think that henna dye releases just fine with water alone. In fact, I have read somewhere that acid actually slows the release of the dye. I've heard of using a liiiittle bit of lemon juice if you have hard water though.

If you insist on continuing with the lemon, I would wait until the mixture is ready and then add Honey or coconut oil to it right before applying the paste to give it some additional moisturizing properties. This also helps to give the paste a smoother consistency.

Lilmama1011

Is this the first time you've had dryness with this combo?

I actually think that henna dye releases just fine with water alone. In fact, I have read somewhere that acid actually slows the release of the dye. I've heard of using a liiiittle bit of lemon juice if you have hard water though.

If you insist on continuing with the lemon, I would wait until the mixture is ready and then add Honey or coconut oil to it right before applying the paste to give it some additional moisturizing properties. This also helps to give the paste a smoother consistency.
Maybe next time I will try it without the lemon. But I have heard the opposite. I don't mess with coconut oil, it dries and matt my hair up

baddison

natural for good
I've been doing regular monthly henna treatments for over 6 years now. I have achieved my precise mixture, and it only includes 4 ingredients.
1-NUPUR henna
2-Room temperature brewed coffee or black tea
3-Dabur Amla oil
4-TradersJoes's conditioner

That's it. I mix those items only until the henna is good and pasty. then I apply and go to bed.
I find that the Amla oil and the silicone-free conditioner helps a lot with a smooth rinse out, and keeps the dryness away. But - on the off chance that the hair gets unusually dry, I simply do an overnite baggy with my favorite leave-in, or oil, and the next morning, the dryness is history.
@Lilmama1011 , hope this helps in some way.