Found Some Interseting Henna Q&A (long)

God_Favor

Hi Ladies!

I was bored and wanted to do a little research on henna and hair. I copied and pasted some of the Q&A that stood out for me.
This is not to start any controversy on henna just wanted to post some different views(this has not changed my mind on using henna).
I found this info on indainparenting.com, and I assume the lady answering the question is a hair care professional that is Indian and familiar with henna.

Q: How good is henna as a conditioner for your hair. Does it arrest hair fail and greying?
Monalisa (Mumbai)

A: No, henna does not arrest hair fall or greying. It does impart a reddish colour to the hair, effectively covering the greys. It is not the best conditioner for hair. Egg yolk is possibly the best natural conditioner for hair. Whip it, apply it to your hair, perhaps mixed with oil if you so desire, and wash it off after half an hour. Make sure you use cold water, or your hair will start cooking! If you would like to use henna for grey hair coverage, make sure you add egg to the henna mixture.
Vidula Chopra

Q: Hi, I had curly hair and I have straighted it but it has become dry. what can I do to make it silky? Does mehendi work or does it makes hair more dry?
Sona (Gujarat, India)

A: Mehendi makes hair more dry and brittle in the long run. Apply egg to your hair once a week. Also, curd will help. If you apply oil, try and steam your hair as well to help oil penetrate better. Always apply conditioner to your hair after washing, concentrating on the ends and avoiding the scalp.

Q: I want to know that i want my hairs to be long can u give me some tips how should i get my haris long? thanks komal
Komal (Mumbai, India)

A: Read these articles: Hair Care More Hair Care Tips

You could also go through the other articles in our hair section, for help dealing with various hair problems, like dandruff, falling hair etc.

In short, trim your hair regularly, keep it free from split ends, and condition hair often. Henna is NOT a good conditioner. Egg is excellent for the hair. Oil works best if you steam hair after applying oil. Do read the 2 articles above for detailed tips.
Vidula Chopra

Q: Does dabur amla really makes hair thick and long?.where can i get brahmi amla oil in dubai?.
Leni (Dubai, UAE)

A: Try some Indian stores or stores in an Indian bazaar like Meena bazaar. Amla is very good for hair and it should help. Always steam hair after applying oil because steam helps the oil penetrate the strands.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

I guess my only question on this is what is the difference between doing a protein treatment than putting egg in your hair? It may be more natural but the effects might be the same...

atlien11

God_Favor said:
Q: Hi, I had curly hair and I have straighted it but it has become dry. what can I do to make it silky? Does mehendi work or does it makes hair more dry?
Sona (Gujarat, India)

A: Mehendi makes hair more dry and brittle in the long run. Apply egg to your hair once a week. Also, curd will help. If you apply oil, try and steam your hair as well to help oil penetrate better. Always apply conditioner to your hair after washing, concentrating on the ends and avoiding the scalp.
Interesting...Thanks so much for posting. Can you list the URL? I would like to read up on this more. thanks! Ok nevermind i see the link.

Cichelle

Who is Vidula Chopra? And why the big push for eggs in the hair? My hair reacts horribly to eggs. They make it dry and crunchy.

thesweetone

Question for the long time Henna users:

Has henna dried your hair out? So far, I don't notice my hair being any dryer than usual, and I haven't heard any dryness complaints from any of the regulars. I guess time will tell ultimately.

KiniKakes

Hmmm.... sounds like this is just one woman's opinion. *shrug* It seems to contradict much of the other information and sources that we've learned about Henna. I am taking her Q&A with a grain of salt. :ohwell:

I mean, what is her whole obsession with eggs? :lol: Yeah, they are okay for the hair because of the protein content, but i would not go so far as to say they are the "best" conditioner for the hair, esp. not used on a regular basis. Like any other protein used excessively, this can dry the hair out and cause more harm than good.

Im still excited about Henna. This woman *aint* stealing my joy. ;)

Thanks for posting tho! Always kewl to get a new perspective. :)

God_Favor

KiniKakes said:
Hmmm.... sounds like this is just one woman's opinion. *shrug* It seems to contradict much of the other information and sources that we've learned about Henna. I am taking her Q&A with a grain of salt. :ohwell:

I mean, what is her whole obsession with eggs? :lol: Yeah, they are okay for the hair because of the protein content, but i would not go so far as to say they are the "best" conditioner for the hair, esp. not used on a regular basis. Like any other protein used excessively, this can dry the hair out and cause more harm than good.

Im still excited about Henna. This woman *aint* stealing my joy. ;)

Thanks for posting tho! Always kewl to get a new perspective. :)

ITA!! I still excited about henna and will do my 1st treatment this weekend. Yeah, she is big on the egg thing?????? My hair hates egg treatments, but I thought it was interesting to read an Indian women's perspective on henna. The good thing about reading this (for me) was to remind me not to go overboard with henna, because I'm known to be a little "extra" (LOL)!

Proudpiscean

Maybe it was something she was adding to the henna (terp) that made it drying......who knows :ohwell:
Also I would think that egg would be more drying than 'conditioning' to hair over the long run.

Last edited:

Softresses

Hmmmm, I wonder does she sell eggs at the market? My hair does not respond well to eggs being put on it, so I will pass on that one.

As for henna drying hair and making it brittle, not buying that one either. I have my own results to show for it, and way to many good testemonials for that to change my mind.

If henna ever destroys my hair I will definately sound the alarm. However, I don't think it will.

Softresses

ETA: Maybe this lady didn't read it on LHCF that you are supposed to deep condition afterwards!

Last edited:

Proudpiscean

Softresses said:
Hmmmm, I wonder does she sell eggs at the market? My hair does not respond well to eggs being put on it, so I will pass on that one.

As for henna drying hair and making it brittle, not buying that one either. I have my own results to show for it, and way to many good testemonials for that to change my mind.

If henna ever destroys my hair I will definately sound the alarm. However, I don't think it will.

Softresses

ETA: Maybe this lady didn't read it on LHCF that you are supposed to deep condition afterwards!

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

keluric

I've actually seen this on a website somewhere.. I was confused about why she said henna wasn't a good conditioner. It might not be the best but I think it's a good one. Maybe that's what she meant.

Armyqt

Softresses said:

Softresses

Exactly. ANd so has a number of others here. It wouldn't even be used for hair if it was THAT drying. I think she's full of it. Like Kini said, she taint stealing my henna joy :lol:

alexstin

The little curly haired girl?? She's cute.

Everything doesn't work for everyone but I'd take those comments the OP referred to with a grain of salt.

AtlantaJJ

My girl at the indian store told me this very thing!

<<A: No, henna does not arrest hair fall or greying. It does impart a reddish colour to the hair, effectively covering the greys. It is not the best conditioner for hair. Egg yolk is possibly the best natural conditioner for hair. Whip it, apply it to your hair, perhaps mixed with oil if you so desire, and wash it off after half an hour. Make sure you use cold water, or your hair will start cooking! If you would like to use henna for grey hair coverage, make sure you add egg to the henna mixture.
Vidula Chopra
>>

AtlantaJJ

Softresses said:

Softresses

Wisdom and experience has spoken! I picked up my yogurt today and I'm whippin' up my batch tonight :D

God_Favor

alexstin said:

Everything doesn't work for everyone but I'd take those comments the OP referred to with a grain of salt.

You are right...Please take my post w/ a grain of salt....I was only trying to post different views..By no means was I trying to scare anyone from the use of henna..

Amylee

alexstin said:

Yes, it's the curly girl on the pics but she was younger at the time. Her daughter's hair right now is on the very first picture.

Proudpiscean

God_Favor said:
You are right...Please take my post w/ a grain of salt....I was only trying to post different views..By no means was I trying to scare anyone from the use of henna..

I understand.....I can appreciate different points of view. That's how we all learn ;)

alexstin

God_Favor said:

Oh I know you didn't mean any harm:) I was speaking about the poster at the forum you quoted from. Different viewpoints are good. The more view points the better decisions we can make.;)

God_Favor

AtlantaJJ said:
Wisdom and experience has spoken! I picked up my yogurt today and I'm whippin' up my batch tonight :D

I know right?? Judging by Softress' head of hair , HENNA HERE I COME!!!!

Softresses

God_Favor said:
I know right?? Judging by Softress' head of hair , HENNA HERE I COME!!!!

In my best country accent.....Awww, sheeeewwwwt, you two gone make me blush,

thank ya,

(shheeewwwwt blush,blush):D

Softresses

Last edited: