How many self-relaxers did it take...?

How many self-relaxers did it take before you saw great results?

• 1-2

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • 3-5

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 6-10

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I'm still working towards it

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I gave up on it

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blessed626

So, I did my first self-relaxer about 2 weeks ago. I did LOTS of research beforehand and was very pleased when I finished. All of my friends agreed I did a good job. However, after my first regular wash, I realized I am quite underprocessed. I didn't expect for it to be perfect. However, I'm now debating whether I wanna try it again or do I wanna just go to my trusty stylist for a corrective relaxer.

I know practice makes perfect, so I'm wondering how many self-relaxers did it take before you had the process down pat and had great results?

ETA: Was it a change in method that improved your results, or was it simply practice?

Last edited:
This is a great question. It took me 6 to 10 tries before I really got the best results. I think I was too timid at first (which is better than being reckless and overprocessing). I'm glad I kept at it, though. I'm getting better results than I ever did with any stylist.

The key to improving my results was practice, practice, practice, and experimenting with different application methods. I now know that I get the best results by relaxing in halves and using a Sprush to apply the relaxer. This method allows me to apply the relaxer quickly and spend more time smoothing.

It took me about 3 to be able to relax my hair the way I wanted it..
SIDENOTE: DO NOT fret if you underprocess..honestly when you relax the other time around, it will semi-straighten some of the hair close to the new growth so having underprocessed hair is kind of good in some ways so you don't overprocess it due to overlapping.

for me the 1st try because my mom used to put in my relaxer when i was a teen and i just watched her and she taught me... i took over around 15... been doing my own ever since... even when i used to go to beauticians i never let them put in my relaxer

It took me about 5 or 6 tries but in the end it was really about me finding the right relaxer and right technique. I move kinda slow and I needed a relaxer that would coincide with my pace, if that makes sense. Hawaiian Silky does that for me. I just need to add about a tablespoon of evoo and I'm good.

I also had to figure out a good technique because like I said, I'm kind of slow. So, I start with my hands alone, just to get the relaxer in as quickly as possible. Then I use rat tail comb for smaller parts and smoothing. It works for me.

I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago, and I came out extremely underprocessed. You'd actually never know that I even attempted to relax :( I intend on trying and trying again though until I get it right. The liberation of not having to rely on a stylist feels great.

I'm still working on it.:sad:

I will make another attempt in April or May and hopefully, it this one will be to my satisfaction.:perplexed

I have been a bit 'underprocessed' the first 3 tries, (which I guess is better than being overprocessed).......Long story short, I am still working on it.:yep:

Glad to be rid of total stylist-dependency (regardless of how it comes out):grin:

I tried about 4 times last year, but was under-processing every time and I also didn't progress in length. Now I've pretty much given up and decided to go natural. At least I can flat iron, so that's a decent alternative, but yeah, I guess the relaxer just isn't for me.

I'm going to keep trying. :look:

Perhaps next time, I will try the Applicator Bottle Method and My Sprush to see if I can get a little better results.:perplexed

OP while it may not help with the end result - you could practice your "technique" with your conditioner when you DC each week.

I will say the 2nd time. The first time I tried to relax my hair after not having a relaxer about 2 years and it didn't take at all so I had to go to a stylist for a corrective and she was horrible. I had to ask her to rinse my hair completely, to wash the relaxer out well. She just acted like it was too much trouble so I went home and reneutralized and dc'd my hair. The next time I did my touch up my results were what I wanted, and each time I touch up it gets better. I do the half and half method and that way I get good results. Doing my whole head at once is not an option for me.

The first time I tried to self relax I was all types of underprocessed...but the second time I tried it I switched relaxers [ORS lye to Silk Elements Lye] and I had beautiful results..I was so shocked and how silky and smooth my hair came out. However I always relax my sisters hair so it's not like I didn't have experience relaxing at all. Practice definitely makes perfect :yep:

I finally got it right on the 4th try. My first 3 tries, I was underprocessed. The first time, I based my scalp to death and oiled the heck out of my hair to prevent overprocessing and I think I went overboard. Previously, my hair had broken off quite badly from overprocessing from the "professional stylist" that I was going to. I had to cut off most of my hair, so I was afraid of it happening again.

A year and a half later, I have my relaxer routine down. I'm quite comfortable relaxing and coloring my own hair. It hasn't been this healthy and thick in a while.

I don't even know if I've "gotten it" yet...but my touch up has always looked all right. *shrug* NOTHING will make me go back to stylists though!

I'm still working on it. Last TU was self relax #4; turned out pretty good, but not perfect. I have a very small underprocessed patch. I did it in halves, next time I'm doing quarters. smaller sections are so much easier to ensure even application and smoothing.

It took me 4 attempts to get my self-relaxer down. Before my first self-relaxer I did TONS of research and watched and re-watched several relaxer youtube videos. The first time it was acceptable but slightly underprocessed. The second time I was WAY underprocessed. So, six weeks later I tried it for a third time and did a corrective. It was much better and just the way that I like it. And my good results were solidified after the fourth time I self-relaxed because I repeated those same good results. It takes a little trial & error and Practice! I think it's rare that some one will be perfect after trying to self relax once, but if they are kudos to them!

I attached some comparison pictures of my roots after each self-relaxer attempt:
1st one was my first ever self-relaxer it's a picture of my wet hair after neutralizing
2nd one was my second attempt after rollersetting my hair
3rd one was my third attempt & a corrective self-relaxer it's a picture after rollersetting
4th one was my fourth self-relaxer and the pic is after rollersetting.

Attachments

• DSCN1254.jpg
    DSCN1254.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1577.jpg
    DSCN1577.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1629.jpg
    DSCN1629.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1843.jpg
    DSCN1843.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 35
Great thread!

I read and researched for 2 years before I was ready to take the plunge. It paid off, because I've only self-relaxed once, but my results came out better than the salon. :)

My avatar shows my results. I have a self-relaxing album in my fotki if you want to see more pics.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

I self relaxed last year for the first time and was way under-processed, but I hadn't really done much research I just jumped in. I went to a stylist for my next relaxer and she put relaxer on my ends saying they looked frizzy. I was like what the **** are you doing!? I left with a wet head, was to scared to see what she would do next lol.

I think this time Ill buy a Sprush and practice a few times with conditioner :)

Back