How Much Hair Do You Lose When You Blow Dry And Then Flat Iron?

PersuasiveBeauty

Do you see breakage? Is it normal to have breakage? Do you only lose a couple of hairs? How much breakage/shedding is normal for a blow dry and a flat iron? My friend just relaxed and she swears up and down she lost half an inch and she is no longer BSL.... I just think she's wearing her bra lower...But she won't listen... Anyway...How much hair do you lose when you blow dry and flat iron, and is it possible to lose half an inch of hair in ONE day?

@PersuasiveBeauty, hair breaks when it's weak and damaged. Ends are the most susceptible to damage and are most likely to be split. So it'd not surprise me if ends that are not maintained with dusting got singed and broke off after using heat. It's very possible her ends may have broken off.

I don't think there's an answer to "how much hair lost is normal". Just like there isn't an answer to how many wrinkles should people have by the time they are 45.

Last edited:
If I blow dry I always lose tons of little short pieces. Idk if its enough to notice a change in length, but its definitely a lot when looking at them all over the bathroon floor.

Thats why I try to just stretch my hair by air drying and banding and then flat ironing, instead of blow drying and flat ironing. This definitely cuts down on the amount of hair I lose.

I'm relaxed and I probably use direct heat 3 times a year the most. If I flat-iron, I air-dry first and I do get some broken hairs while using the chase method. I don't know the exact # but not a lot to alarm me. I never do more than one pass on my ends though.
When it comes to blow-drying, I use a hatchet blow-dryer with a wide-tooth comb attachment and lose a medium amount of broken hairs. If I were to estimate, it would be between 10-15 hairs. But when I blow-dry, I don't go all the way to my ends either.

I'm not relaxed but I don't lose a lot of hair through blowdry/iron, the hair that is lost typically comes out at the root though. I'd say maybe 10. Before I flat iron, I make sure to put some kind of oil in overnight, then shampoo/conditioner, chi silk infusion while soaking wet, towel squeeze and comb or brush it. It will air-dry 60% tangle free then I proceed with the dryer and iron. She shouldn't be losing half an inch, if so their hair has to be extremely damaged and probably needs a good trim.

I use direct heat frequently (2-3 times monthly) and don't lose that much hair. Most of the hair lost is shed hair. She could have had breakage because of her technique, lack of moisture, or she may need a trim. There are many factors.

When I was relaxed, and I would blowdry and flat-iron my hair, I would lose a ton of hair. Broken off pieces everywhere. They weren't short pieces either. I did this quite often and still, it wasn't enough to see a change in the length of my hair. My hair still grew to BSL.

I'm natural but I flat iron every 2 weeks for most of the year and I lose about a gumball amount of hair each time, mostly shed hairs but. I've never felt a loss in retention because of the hair I lose during this process.:ohwell:

Back