How much hair do you lose when you get it braided or weaved up?

PersuasiveBeauty

Just curious, how much hair do you all lose when you go to the salon to get it braided or to get a weave done? Whether you are eyeing the comb as she makes her parts or you see the shed hair on the floor. Does it ever alarm you? Do you feel you could experience severe breakage from this? Thinning of hair? Loss of length?

ETA: Loss of hair from her use of combing through your hair and making parts only. Not from the take-down process of the braids/weaves, or if one fails to take care of the hair underneath.

Last edited:

Nonie

PersuasiveBeauty, it's YEARS (maybe over 25) since I ever had my hair braided in a salon, but the salon I used to go to used to straighten the hair before cornrowing it (which was usually what I got done) so there wasn't any "resistance" in my hair during combing.

If I were going to get my hair braided at a salon, I'd wash and blow dry my hair before going there to make sure they can comb it with ease. Coz no one's going to try to make their work harder to save your hair when they could just rake through and get the job done quickly and send you out there with braids that hide the damage.

I'd not worry so much about shedding because shed hair was supposed to come out anyway. It's breakage from rough handling that I'd worry about, or if they yank hair out--which would hurt (unlike shed hair).

RUBY

This is a big thing with me, I've noticed that even when I've blow dryed my hair before getting it braided, some people just don't know how to comb hair properly. Its like they've never heard of combing from the ends first then going up slowly, especially with natural hair. I'm always eyeing the comb and the hair that gets tossed on the floor because when I combed my hair before not much hair comes out but other people are just not as careful.
Someone recently cornrowed the front of my hair and they were rough with the combing and all sorts of hair came out. Then when I took the braids out that same night because they were too tight, I got the shock of my life when clumps of hair came out as I was undoing them. I was deadly upset and pissed off. So speak up if you don't like the way the person is coming/parting your hair.

luckiestdestiny

Just curious, how much hair do you all lose when you go to the salon to get it braided or to get a weave done? Whether you are eyeing the comb as she makes her parts or you see the shed hair on the floor. Does it ever alarm you? Do you feel you could experience severe breakage from this? Thinning of hair? Loss of length?

ETA: Loss of hair from her use of combing through your hair and making parts only. Not from the take-down process of the braids/weaves, or if one fails to take care of the hair underneath.

If you're talking about when they braid my hair up, I'm never alarmed (first she comes to my home so I'm not at a salon so I can get a good look as I'd see it on my floor). None really or else I wouldn't be using her. See my pic below (last reveal was jan 2011 the right pic and I was so tired after blowing out my whole head and proceeding to straighten a section that I promptly gave up and braided the whole thing up), no hair loss:lol: Infact sometimes I wanna buzz it because of the density but when I'm feeling crazy I get it in a protective style until I cool off cause I know I love my hair (even though it makes me :spinning: at time).

I always make sure to detangle before hand and btw I've had a couple weaves after two years of consecutive braiding I needed a change. I make sure to take them out myself. I don't think anyone will care for my hair like me and take the time to detangle knots, etc. So during that take down there is hair loss but we're talking from shedded hair, not broken hairs, etc. I take real care to preserve the hair and not break it. Also when I'm having my braider over to either braid or weave it for a change of pace, she's really gentle and knows what I like so no probs there.

JJamiah

I just (20 minutes ago) braided my cousins hair for her weave up and if she got 5 strands that is all. She is natural if that matters.

I am relaxed and when I braid my hair myself, I get the same. I don't handle the hair rough.

When my cousin braids my hair. I hear my hair snapping. She is too rough, I now just do it myself to avoid any issues :)