How often do you redo your ponypuff/puff/bun when using GEL?

sungtongs

I cowashed with suave strawberry-somethingoranother, added rosewater, then added ecostyler gel. this is day 2 hair. last night, i added scurl and orange blossom water. i used a cut piece of hoisery to pull it back.

It's looking kinda sloppy up top right now :perplexed and I've got a bunch of flyaways, so I'm gonna wash the gel out and put some conditioner and dabur coconut oil/rosewater for now.

Questions!
How often do you guys do your ponypuffs WHEN USING A GEL?
Do you experience more breakage because of the gel?:nono:

And here is a picture of my finally mastered puff :yep: (i'm so proud of it!):

Attachments

• Photo 86.jpg
    Photo 86.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 112
Cute puff!!! :grin:

I use Fantasia IC Olive oil gel and it hasn't caused any breakage for me. If I'm good, I can get 2-3 days just by misting the gelled areas with a little water then using a scarf until it's dry (usually 10-15 minutes.) If it needs a bit more help I'll add a little moisturizer and more gel or gel/evoo/castor mixture (light on the heavier oils.) I'll add moisture and do big twists on the puff part to keep it stretched or just let it shrink up a little bit and fluff with my fingers. :yep:

Forgot to add: I don't sleep with hair elastics. I just wrap up with my silk scarf and go to bed. When I get up in the morning I'll do the above then add hair candy. You should be ok if you add moisture under the gel. Just keep a close watch.

When I did these I used to go 2-3 days. I was able to stretch it to 5 days a few times
I don't use gel for my puffs anymore

I'm transitioning and I wear a fake puff.. Usually I have to wash by Wed because I get a lot of fly aways and just didn't look right but I do what Iluvsmuhgrass does and spritz it with water at night and I may add some gel on the edges and by the time I tie my hair down. I do wear a loose scrunchie to bed at night which I need to stop that..

I used some of the Eco Styler Argan Oil gel mixed Mango Butter and I think that help keep my hair staying that way all day..

Your puff was cute the other day :yep:

I don't wear puffs too often anymore, but I would never sleep in my puff. Back in the day, I would just remove the puff holder and keep my edges slicked down by putting a satin scarf around it. Then in the morning I would redo my puff.

Nowadays if I were to wear puff again for multiple days, I would keep it stretched out by rebraiding or twisting it every night. I don't allow my hair to shrink up anymore.

Do you experience more breakage because of the gel?
I use aloe vera gel and it gives a light, but soft hold. I have never experienced breakage from aloe vera gel. I don't use mainstream gel (maybe once a year if that) because I don't like my hair to feel hard to the touch.

The best way to reduce breakage from gel is to rewet your hair to make it pliable before you manipulate it once your hair has gotten hard from the gel. Never manipulate your hair if it is hard and stiff.

Last edited:
I'm not big on a lot of product being in my hair at any given time. Generally, I redo my puff after co-washing, so I can wash out what's been in my hair from the day before. Then apply EcoStyler to my hair. I use gel for my buns as well.

I don't really experience breakage at all.

I dont usually keep a puff style more than 2 days, but if I do I usually wash out the gel and reapply

I bun on freshly washed hair using oyin dew under either ecostyler or aloevera gel for a slick look, sometimes I just use the oyin pomade if Im not going for a super slick look

I tie my hair down at night and spritz with water and smooth down the next morning.

edit:
oh and I dont do puffs with gel often so i doubt Ive got breakage from it

Last edited:
Your puff was cute the other day :yep:

I don't wear puffs too often anymore, but I would never sleep in my puff. Back in the day, I would just remove the puff holder and keep my edges slicked down by putting a satin scarf around it. Then in the morning I would redo my puff.

Nowadays if I were to wear puff again for multiple days, I would keep it stretched out by rebraiding or twisting it every night. I don't allow my hair to shrink up anymore.

I use aloe vera gel and it gives a light, but soft hold. I have never experienced breakage from aloe vera gel. I don't use mainstream gel (maybe once a year if that) because I don't like my hair to feel hard to the touch.

The best way to reduce breakage from gel is to rewet your hair to make it pliable before you manipulate it once your hair has gotten hard from the gel. Never manipulate your hair if it is hard and stiff.

aw, thanks! yeah, i need to find somewhere where i can buy aloe vera gel that's not online.

Back