How often do you use flat or curling irons to style your hair?

How often do you use flat/curling irons to style your hair?

• Never.

Votes: 32 12.5%
  • Hardly ever/once in a while

Votes: 80 31.1%
  • Once a month

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • Once every two weeks

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Once a week

Votes: 60 23.3%
  • More than once per week

Votes: 14 5.4%

• Total voters

Glib Gurl

Just wondering . . . please note if using these direct heat methods have any positive or negative impacts on your hair.

Thanks!

I voted for 'hardly ever'

For one thing I am too lazy to flat iron, for two, I really need my hair cut so it will lay right, so I'm never too pleased w/ the results. I will probably flat iron more often once I get closer to my goal.

well...I use it only the check hair growth. Since I purchased a maxiglide...I will use that instead. I think because I don't use it that often, I haven't experienced ill effects.

Just wondering . . . please note if using these direct heat methods have any positive or negative impacts on your hair.

Thanks!

GG, I don't know if it is considered direct heat but I use Caruso's every other day and my hair is great. I have fine hair so I don't leave the curler on the steam very long and I leave them in about one-half hour. My curls are so smooth and glossy. I love the method. I am almost bra-strap length and I care more now about a good style than protective styling.:yep::yep:

I used to use a curling iron anywhere from 2x-5x a week. I would say that it had a negative impact on my ends. My hair would always get to about shoulder length before the cracked ends would have to be chopped off. However, since I've been doing weekly rollersets since I began my transition, I no longer use curling irons, and I only flat iron my roots about once a week, if not less often. I haven't used any direct heat in about 3 weeks.

I flat iron after I wash only when I am more than 5 wks post. My stylist flat irons my hair when she styles it by my request. My hair is very thick, so the heat is really necessary once the new growth gets out there. I DC and use heat protectant when I flat iron and I have noticed no ill effects.

I only use heat after I wash my hair which is once a week, I use the flat iron to straighten out my hair, bump the ends and then I wrap it up. Before I started coming here, i used the curling iron every day, sometimes more than once.

As of November, never. Giving up direct heat was one of the best things I've done, I can see that I've retained some length since my last pic.

GG, I don't know if it is considered direct heat but I use Caruso's every other day and my hair is great. I have fine hair so I don't leave the curler on the steam very long and I leave them in about one-half hour. My curls are so smooth and glossy. I love the method. I am almost bra-strap length and I care more now about a good style than protective styling.:yep::yep:

I have caruso's but I don't use them as much as I'd like . . . definitely a great alternative. Thanks for sharing!

I flat iron my hair once a week which is on Sundays after I shampoo and deep condition my hair.

I flat iron my hair once a week which is on Sundays after I shampoo and deep condition my hair.

same here!

I used to do it twice a week and since I only do it once a week, I can tell a difference in my hair. I am sure it would be wonderful if I could stop flat-ironing all together, but that just does not fit into my life right now unfortunately.

Never. I just do rollersets to my hair. I dont think I have used a curling iron since 2006 and even then I think I used it probably twice that whole year.

Never.

I don't own a flat iron and the curling iron I once had, I don't know where it is. The last time I used it was in college and that was almost 2 years ago.

I think heat makes my hair dry out really bad.

In 2007 I flat ironed every 2-3 months for length check. As of the 11th of January 2008 I located a new "old" hair dresser that does a marvelous job on my hair. He only mentioned I needed shaping not cutting....so he's a keeper. I'll be going once per month to get a roller set. If they continue to work I 'll be using heat once a month for the rest of the year"with the exception of really humid months in the sumer time"

My ends always feel dry/brittle after a flat iron. I probably flat ironed 6 times in 2007. In 2008, my goal is to rollerset and I've been eyeing those caruso's.

Abouto nce every three months for length checks. Even then I try to just use a flat iron to get my roots after roller setting.

I chose hardly ever. I use direct heat 1-2x every relaxer. I usually stretch 3-4 months and break out the flatiron for length checks or special occasions.

*sigh*

Well I flat ironed this morning and it came out a big 'ol mess. I looked down at the sink and saw all these hairs that had broken off my ends. And my hair didn't even get straight like I wanted. I think I am officially done with the flat irons :mad:

My hair is either APL or past.
I washed my hair last night and felt it almost MBL! But that's gotta be wrong since that would mean I skipped BSL lol.
But next time I straighten it we'll see for sure.
I haven't put any direct heat to my hair since Nov/Dec of 2006. This most def. contributes to my hair ability to retain length.
I believe I have too much shedding though...

I selected "Hardly ever/once in awhile. The only time direct heat touches my hair is when I see my stylist 2-3 times a year for a touch-up.

I flat iron as often as once a week and have noticed that my hair has gotten straighter.

People claim that when your hair does this it is heat damaged. However, I must say that my hair still looks really healthy and I love the fact that my hair has become "trained" by my techniques. It's much easier to style and I can still rock it wet & wavy or bone str8.

I flat iron as often as once a week and have noticed that my hair has gotten straighter.

People claim that when your hair does this it is heat damaged. However, I must say that my hair still looks really healthy and I love the fact that my hair has become "trained" by my techniques. It's much easier to style and I can still rock it wet & wavy or bone str8.

My hair was much easier to style and behaved much like you described.
The problem with my heat damage is/was that, my hair is fine which made it much more susceptible to breakage. My twist-outs I'll admit don't look AS good as they used to with more damage but I wouldn't trade damage for damage free...ever!

I notice that some say when they use heat they get dry hair. Could it be the techniques, tools, or product?

I ask because for me it is just the opposite. My hair is NEVER dry after I flatiron it. My hair always moist and soft - never dry.

I notice that some say when they use heat they get dry hair. Could it be the techniques, tools, or product?

I ask because for me it is just the opposite. My hair is NEVER dry after I flatiron it. My hair always moist and soft - never dry.

^^^^ I totally agree with you. I flat iron 1/week, and my hair is never dry afterwards.

I only use my flat iron and/or blow dryer every few months maybe when I'm in a long stretch and it's usually only in the case of an emergency. Any other time, I air dry.

I voted on the poll a while ago, but forgot to write a response. I flat iron about 1x a week just because I love the way my hair looks when it's super slick with a front/side swooping bang. I try to alternate between that style then pinning it up for a few days, and if I want to go back to that look after wearing it up I just simply saran wrap w/ leave-in, seal with a little oil, and go. No more direct heat for the week. I then do a braid out later on in the week or a roller set (regular or ponytail method) to reduce direct heat usage. But since I'm a few weeks deep into a stretch, I find myself having to use some form of direct heat (either flat iron or blow out) for my roots occasionally.

Back