how often should u wash your hair 4 growth?

tt8

I am co-washing 4x a week (big hastle) to get growth from my 4b hair. Since i am detagling/combing on wash days I figure I am lossing maybe 4x the strands of someone who only washes once a week. This makes me question am I defeating the purpose? Am I doing more harm that good?:wallbash:
I have been researching on the board regimens that will give me the most growth per month. I found that half of you ladies wash or co-wash 1x a week and the other half co-wash or wash 3+ to get growth or maintain the legnth of your hair. This is where I am so confused!!!!
How often should you wash your hair to get mazimum growth per month? Is the answer dependent upon the fact if you have permed or natural hair? Is it just about adding moisture to the hair, which I can do without washing? Or doies it really encourage GROWTH???!!:perplexed

Cleve_gryl

When my hair is freshly relaxed I'll usually wash and rollerset twice a week, deep conditioning each time. When I get really far post, I start wearing wash n go and then I'll wash with poo once a week but co wash like 3-4 times during the week. This keeps my scalp moist and clean, and my hair nice and moisturized. Co washing frequently during the week keeps me from shedding globs of hair on the big wash day. :yep:

hothair

I think you should pay attention to YOUR hair. Although my hair loves co-washes (over the summer every other day) that's sooo not going to work in the winter so I'll co-wash once a week and wash and DC once a week. I've got natural hair so when its out I wash in plaits cause I hardly comb (check the washing technique at www.growafrohairlong.com) I ONLY finger comb if that, but it depends on how you style your hair...

♦K.O♦

As long as my scalp is clean and my hair is moist, less washing is MORE.

You just have to find what works for you.

Evazhair

I wash and deep condition once a week. I was told that if you work out you should wash twice a week. For some washing over twice a week works, but for me it is definitely too much manipulation, because I rollerset. My hair is thriving and growing just fine.

tt8

I think you should pay attention to YOUR hair. Although my hair loves co-washes (over the summer every other day) that's sooo not going to work in the winter so I'll co-wash once a week and wash and DC once a week. I've got natural hair so when its out I wash in plaits cause I hardly comb (check the washing technique at www.growafrohairlong.com) I ONLY finger comb if that, but it depends on how you style your hair...

I am wearing my hair in cornrows under a wig. This might be a dumb question but my hair is natural also, can I wash it while its braided? I thought it would be more tangled if I did that?? I have been dividing it into 4ponies and doing each section

tt8

As long as my scalp is clean and my hair is moist, less washing is MORE.

You just have to find what works for you.

Yeah, that's what I am trying to do (with patience:perplexed). But how is your scalp staying clean if you are not washing it?

hothair

I am wearing my hair in cornrows under a wig. This might be a dumb question but my hair is natural also, can I wash it while its braided? I thought it would be more tangled if I did that?? I have been dividing it into 4ponies and doing each section

Not at all!!! I wash my hair in a weave (so obviously its cornrowed) so does my sister she's wigging it as well (so cornrows under weave) and its been brilliant, there's little to no manipulation so no breakage, I do take it out and wash once every 8 or so weeks or when I colour, even re-doing my cornrows I wash in the old cornrows, let it dry then re-do it:yep: I BC-ed in February and my hair is just touching shoulder length and I think my wash technique has definitely helped!

prospurr4

I wash my hair once per week. Since I rollerset each time, once/week is enough manipulation for my hair. To retain growth, it is important to keep the ends moisturized. I thinK I retain the most growth when I wear my hair up because I add water to my ends daily, seal with castor oil, then put my hair into a bun or claw clip.