How the heck do I know what she used?

VelvetRain

I miss my boston stylist something fierce. I am going home in May just to to get a damn relaxer. I nixed the idea of trying to go natural now and gave into getting a relaxer. Anyway I ended up going to BeautyBrands in Charlotte to get a touch up with Portia. The prices are comparable for what I was paying back in MA. $75 for a relaxer here no biggie cuz I am used to paying 110 when it's done. Anyway I know Olive Benson uses her own perm line and it's lye. I know cuz I have seen the tub it comes out of when have gotten my relaxers done in the pats. So I told this chick I wanted a mild relaxer because anything more causes my hair to break off like crazy. My texture is fine. It also has to be lye. I have had no lye before and it drys the hell out of my scalp and hair.

So she tells me well I need to get a second opinion on what to use on your hair. I was like say what? I just told you what I wanted. So she goes over and whisper something in another employees ear and tells me she is off to get the relaxer. I asked her what type she was going to use. They only offer affirm and mizani. I told her no to the affirm because I have had it used once since I got down here and I don't like it. So she said she would use the mizani. Now I am still wondering what the hell she used on my hair because she mixed something up in a back room and came out with a small bowl and application brush. WTF? I have no idea what was in that bowl. I have never been to a salon where they whipped some concoction up in a bowl. They have always brought out a big ol tub so I could see what they were applying. For all I know she could of been using a super forumulation. I need to start doing my own touchups. I am skeptical of new stylists. Sorry yall I had to vent here.

I am just waiting for my hair to break. Plus she was getting relaxer on my ends. I was like can you wipe that off please. I am not happy right now.

I hate trying out new stylists!!
Its interesting what you said about the mixing in the back room. All my old stylists did that with me. To this day I have no idea what brand they were using or if it was lye or no lye. Luckily, my hair never seemed to be overprocessed (but I could be wrong) just very dry which caused it to break. I really wished I knew then what I know now!

No offense to stylists, but I just do not trust most of them as far as I can throw them!
This chick could have come back with whatever relaxer she thought was 'best' for your hair (even after you TOLD her what you wanted!).
I've never had a beautician mix my relaxer in a back room...that just makes me nervous.
Girl, I would have jumped out of that chair and gone back to see for myself it was the right stuff...I don't care how upset someone gets, it's YOUR HAIR, and you are paying them to do what YOU want!!!! :mad:

Repeating my LHCF mantra here...
It's been awhile but clearly time to resurrect:

NO. MORE. STYLISTS!

OT: I went to BeautyBrands and had Portia do my hair too. She did a very excellent job. Did you ever go to Kameeka at Salon Untouchables?

Maybe she bought a box relaxer that had to be mix, you know the cream and the liquid. The thing is do they even make Lye boxed relaxers that have to be mixed, because I only see them in no-Lye. If there is a next time just ask to see the packaging, hopefully you won't have any bad results, just keep up the protein and moisture balance. HHG

lye relaxers do not have to be mixed. They come together. most No lye relaxers require an "activator" that has to be added to the base.

To the original poster: I know you're feeling uneasy, but how do you know she mixed anything into the bowl? Scooping product into an application bowl is actually the proper way to apply product because it is sanitary, as opposed to using product straight from the container, as it risks contaminating the remaining contents. I'm sure your hair is just fine. My advice to anyone going to a stylist for the first time: don't go for a chemical service. Go for a shampoo/set or something simple and cheap and observe their practices before booking more serious services.

Last edited:
ITA, w/the
balisi said:
To the original poster: I know you're feeling uneasy, but how do you know she mixed anything into the bowl? Scooping product into an application bowl is actually the proper way to apply product because it is sanitary, as opposed to using product straight from the container, as it risks contaminating the remaining contents. I'm sure your hair is just fine. My advice to anyone going to a stylist for the first time: don't go for a chemical service. Go for a shampoo/set or something simple and cheap and observe their practices before booking more serious services.

michelle3147 said:
I miss my boston stylist something fierce. I am going home in May just to to get a damn relaxer. I nixed the idea of trying to go natural now and gave into getting a relaxer. Anyway I ended up going to BeautyBrands in Charlotte to get a touch up with Portia. The prices are comparable for what I was paying back in MA. $75 for a relaxer here no biggie cuz I am used to paying 110 when it's done. Anyway I know Olive Benson uses her own perm line and it's lye. I know cuz I have seen the tub it comes out of when have gotten my relaxers done in the pats. So I told this chick I wanted a mild relaxer because anything more causes my hair to break off like crazy. My texture is fine. It also has to be lye. I have had no lye before and it drys the hell out of my scalp and hair.

So she tells me well I need to get a second opinion on what to use on your hair. I was like say what? I just told you what I wanted. So she goes over and whisper something in another employees ear and tells me she is off to get the relaxer. I asked her what type she was going to use. They only offer affirm and mizani. I told her no to the affirm because I have had it used once since I got down here and I don't like it. So she said she would use the mizani. Now I am still wondering what the hell she used on my hair because she mixed something up in a back room and came out with a small bowl and application brush. WTF? I have no idea what was in that bowl. I have never been to a salon where they whipped some concoction up in a bowl. They have always brought out a big ol tub so I could see what they were applying. For all I know she could of been using a super forumulation. I need to start doing my own touchups. I am skeptical of new stylists. Sorry yall I had to vent here.

I am just waiting for my hair to break. Plus she was getting relaxer on my ends. I was like can you wipe that off please. I am not happy right now.

Please don't take offense to this, but jeesh, lighten up. No doubt we (LHCF) know how to properly care for our hair and many don't like stylists, but why does it seem like everyone is nit-picking at the littlest things- just waiting for the stylist to mess up just they can have something to complain about. Balisi was right, she was just taking the proper precautions to applying a SANITARY relaxer. Next thing you know, someone will be complaining about how the stylist applied the relaxer directly from the tub. Nonetheless, I AM sorry to hear about your experience. I think I'm more laid back to be so upset with a stylist.

Michelle3147: I totally understand your frustration; this is place to vent girl! I also agree with Balisi that it's never a good idea to make your initial visit to a salon a chemical service. I've had x-amount of problems and hairdressers in my time, and based on my experience many of them are way too secretive about the products they use, and have a "take it or leave it" attitude. I used to be on of these clients who sat for whatever the heck was going on in MY hair, fuming in silence and "suggesting" alternatives in order to be polite and avoid inciting a bad attitude from the stylist. Now I know that as consumers we have a right to know exactly what service we are paying for and we are also completely within our rights to respectfully object any procedure (i.e., detangling wet hair with a fine tooth comb...). My mother was a hairdresser/salon owner for many years, so I'm certainly not against hairdressers.

I also should say, that I don't mean to come off careless. I do realize that these are chemicals being applied to your hair so take head.

Back