How the perm under the scalp effects the new growth

Mestiza

Poohbear, thank you so much for posting this! It is very informative and has really scared me. Maybe I need to start transitioning. It has crossed my mind a lot lately, anyway.

Leshia

UGH, this makes me wish I had waited longer for my touch-up. I thought I had to touch up because it had been 9 weeks and I was shedding and breaking like crazy but now that I've touched up, it's still shedding--go figure! Gosh. I SOOO wonder about what my hair would be like if I didn't relax...

Anyway, good lookin' out, Jess!

PS hope your diet's going well!!! *wink*

Leshia

Does anyone think that scalp treatments would help this? I do have those Alter Ego scalp drop thingies...um...and the Nioxin Scalp Therapy stuff...what? *blank stare**

angelbaby

ThickHair said:
I believe it is an Urban Legend. I have read this many many times but no one can pinpoint the specific medical journal that this came from. No actual source, author, date and such so to me it is an urband legend until it is proven otherwise.

I believe it's an urban legend for the same reason. There are no specific scientific studies to back it up, only obscure websites. There are no names given or publications only vague references to unknown sources. I can't find it on any of the medical websites.

Last edited:

balisi

I'm just glad I don't have to be concerned about the validity of this claim, since I stopped relaxing over a year ago, and it do feel good! ;)

TigerLily

I don't believe it for the simple fact:

Why were they looking under this woman's scalp in the first place? What made the coroner go there? How did she die anyway?
What was the coroner's name?
What was the detective's name?
Why in the world would the detective be interested in 'green stuff' underneath a person's scalp?
If they didn't know what the 'green stuff' was, how in the world did the coroner know that it was caused by a relaxer? What tests were run to determine this and how come it isn't included in this story?
In what state did this happen in?

I think this is up there with the little boy dying from pop rocks and coca-cola! :lol:

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
caligirl said:
In regards to scab hair...I think your hair texture may improve over time because you learn how to take care of it. For example, you learn what products make it feel soft, silky and easy to comb. I have type 4a hair that I have always worn pressed and I had a relaxer for just under a year. I would have never known I had such nice hair had it not been for my transition and learning what products work best.

People prolly learn over time to better take care of their hair.. but scab hair is different.. it's gross..if you don't have any..you have no idea how gross it is and feels.. my last relaxer was Feb. 2004 and I learned alot from this board when I found it.. but in the back of my head I have about just a 1/2 inch of "normal" hair.. and here we are and it's almost April.. that scab hair was still coming out for quite a while.. it's nothing like "normal" hair and nothing really makes it feel like "normal" hair.. that green film thing may be an Urban Legend..who knows..but scab hair is definitely not!!!!!

landakaye

BLESSED1 said:
wow :eek: Well there goes reason #34 why I can't wait to be natural, unless the damage has already been done to me... :creatures

Seriously!!! That is disturbing. Good lookin' out, Pooh!

hairmaster

your mother and grandmother were using lye relaxers, I believe they are talking about the no lye relaxer that use sodiom to straighten the hair, this is why it is not good to use relaxers on children .

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I dont know about the green film thing, but I do know that your body absorbs things it comes into contact over time. I posted before about Don Colbert, a Dr who mentioned two cases of patients on a detox. One was a woman who while going though his program had a black or blue heart appear on her thigh. In high school several years earlier she used to draw a heart on her jeans in ink, her body had absorbed the ink and was releasing it several years later. He also noted a painter that had come out of a sauna and leaned up against the wall, when he stepped away he had paint on him. He thought someone had painted the wall and not put up a wet paint sign but the chemicals being released from his body were disolving the paint on the wall. :eek: He had worked with paints, chemicals and solvents for years.

Our bodies are amazing, and can take a lot of abuse.

Personally, I've gone between lye and no lye relaxers but mostly I've always used lye...The original pcj, vitale mo body or one from a stylist. I did use vitale senstive scalp for a while which is no lye but that was only a year or two. I LOVED design essentials. Lawd I kinda miss mah silky hair. But I'm learning to love my natural texture, getting used to my look with it. And I feel more real, more authentic if that makes sense. ( Not that women who relax arent real, who knows I may even go back to relaxing, but for me I want to get to know myself in my natural state, with out relying on my hair as a crutch, as it was something I always got compliments on but didnt feel I deserved them because they were based on a texture that wasnt my true one. Dont take that statement wrong, I dont want to offend anyone.)

One thing I have noticed is that itchy scalp, which before I always thought as normal as I always seemed to have it off and on, has all but disappeared. I dont know if its because of the chemicals MIA for 8 months or something else. I always washed my hair frequently before, even when relaxed, sometimes everyday in the summertime doing conditioner washes before I knew it had an offical name and my products havent changed much, the only major change is not relaxing. I wonder if the itchies you always get 5-6 weeks post relaxer (always right before u planned to relax again :mad: ) was my body releasing the chemicals. Since the first couple of months of transition I have only had an itchy scalp once when I went to sleep overnight with conditioner in my hair. I used to always have something scratching my scalp, especially my kitchen. Now my hands are in my hair just to play in my soft springy coils. :)

Crystalicequeen123

RushGirl said:
People prolly learn over time to better take care of their hair.. but scab hair is different.. it's gross..if you don't have any..you have no idea how gross it is and feels.. my last relaxer was Feb. 2004 and I learned alot from this board when I found it.. but in the back of my head I have about just a 1/2 inch of "normal" hair.. and here we are and it's almost April.. that scab hair was still coming out for quite a while.. it's nothing like "normal" hair and nothing really makes it feel like "normal" hair.. that green film thing may be an Urban Legend..who knows..but scab hair is definitely not!!!!!

Maybe I'm lost, but can someone PLEASE inform me on WHAT exactly "scab hair" is?? What is it?? HOW does it look?? How does it feel? How do you know if you have it or not?? I'm scared!!!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
This is an interesting thread.
I don't know about the green stuff, but it's a given that all chemicals are more or less harmful depending on how you use them and how often. I also heard that hair bleach can be traced in urine over a week after bleaching the hair.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Crystalicequeen123 said:
Maybe I'm lost, but can someone PLEASE inform me on WHAT exactly "scab hair" is?? What is it?? HOW does it look?? How does it feel? How do you know if you have it or not?? I'm scared!!!

It feels GROSS..very very wirey!!!! Nothing absorbs in scab hair..it's really gross.. it's very very frizzy, wirey hair that nothing really helps it feel any better..I have found a couple of things that might help for a few hours..but that's it.. you won't know if you have it or not till you stop relaxing and have a BC.. I didn't know till maybe after a month or so after my BC.

landakaye

RushGirl said:
It feels GROSS..very very wirey!!!! Nothing absorbs in scab hair..it's really gross.. it's very very frizzy, wirey hair that nothing really helps it feel any better..I have found a couple of things that might help for a few hours..but that's it.. you won't know if you have it or not till you stop relaxing and have a BC.. I didn't know till maybe after a month or so after my BC.

Oh Goodness, I sure do hope my pretty new growth isn't scab hair,lol.

LDebagoria

I can believe this to an extent, because yes you are introducing a chemical-filled paste into your scalp every few weeks or months. Although I do have my hair relaxed, this past year made me realize that I'm not going to get a relaxer as often as before (I'm planning on getting only two relaxers per year.) I think spacing your relaxers out as well as making yourself sweat will at least bring down the amount of buildup accumulated when you get your hair relaxer. Okay I'm off of my soapbox now. :D

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
landakaye said:
Oh Goodness, I sure do hope my pretty new growth isn't scab hair,lol.

It might not be.. if you relaxed the "right" way.. chances are less than you'd have it.. I use to relax every 4-5 weeks like clockwork.. used regular when I only needed a mild.. mother never told me.. and she also never told me that I didn't have to relax my hair every 4-5 weeks.. she did it like every 3-4 months..and I use to slap the relaxer right down the middle of the part so that I didn't miss any spots..:lol: it's not funny..but that's what I did.. I was never careful not to get it on my scalp because I didn't know I shouldn't... I was never taught the right way to relax..that's why I have soooooooooooo much scab hair.. and I did that for a good 17 years myself.. my hair has been relaxed since I was like 6 or 7 but it was prolly done more so the right way before I did it myself...

BLESSED1

LDebagoria said:
I can believe this to an extent, because yes you are introducing a chemical-filled paste into your scalp every few weeks or months. Although I do have my hair relaxed, this past year made me realize that I'm not going to get a relaxer as often as before (I'm planning on getting only two relaxers per year.) I think spacing your relaxers out as well as making yourself sweat will at least bring down the amount of buildup accumulated when you get your hair relaxer. Okay I'm off of my soapbox now. :D

Good point, your body does release toxins via sweat and urine. You ladies sometimes worry about "sweating" out your relaxer, anyone ever worry about peeing out your relaxer? Okay I'm done, y'all know I'm good for the corny jokes :grin: