How to study the Bible?

BobbieDoll

Hi Ladies. I recently started trying to read my bible daily but I came to the conclusion that I need to actually study the Bible to really get to know the Word but when I read I end up reading the same thing over and over again or just flipping until I see a description of the chapter I think will interest me. I really want to know the word but I know I can't do that if I keep reading the same scriptures. Can someone give me some suggestions on how to start studying instead of just reading? Thanks in advance!

Renovating

Hi Bobbiedoll,

I'm not an expert by far, but this is what I do:

1. Always pray before you start and ask God to guide you to the message he has for you. I can't tell you how many times I've done just that and (seemingly randomly) just opened the bible to scriptures that fit my exact situation.

2. Sometimes I just read through the Psalms or Proverbs. Psalms shows me so many examples of how David constantly communicated with God, even when he was afraid, frustrated, sad, and angry. Personally, I think Proverbs hold a lot of wisdom.

3. I have the Aspire Women of Color study bible and it actually makes it a little bit easier. It makes the people in the bible come to life and it also has guided reading sections that directs you to scriptures for modern day situations. (example stress management: learning to say no) So I guess the first thing should be make sure you have a study bible, instead of just a regular bible.

This may be a little long, but I want to give you an example of how it makes the characters come to life. (The following was typed directly from my bible- verbatim. These are not the scriptures, but an example of the women of the bible notes)

Leah
Courage, Resistance, and Struggle

Leah's story is one that many women can relate to. It is the story of a woman longing to be loved, looking for validation, yearning to be affirmed. Women who recognize they're on a dead-end road and therefore desire to know what to do next and how to find a new way can learn from Leah's experiences.

"Leah girl" came to my church last Sunday with her six children. She was tall and lanky and had pretty eyes, but no other feature distinguished her from most "sistas." A member invited "Leah girl", because "Leah girl" had been drawn by her testimony. While on her post as a security guard, "Leah girl" overheard the lament of another young woman. This young woman had been dissed by her man again. Their relationship was a series of broken promises. "Leah girl" walked up and said," Excuse me, it sounds like you're where I just left.

"Leah girl" had just found the courage to break free from the married man with whom she'd been involved. I bet the first five of her children are named, "This time he'll love me." I get the feeling, however, that the youngest is named, "Now I will praise the Lord."

"Leah girl" came to my church last Sunday. She was hungry, thirsty and looking for a relationship with the Lord. She had come to terms with the fact that validation, affirmation, and confirmation are gifts from the Lord and not empty promises from immoral brothers. "Leah girl" lifted her face to praise God.

"Leah girl" represents thousands of women looking for love in all the wrong places. The Biblical Leah spent many years competing for Jacob's love, but one day she decided to look to the Lord instead. For many years Leah struggled to feel fulfilled through her relationship with her husband. During some of vthose years, she found the strength to rely on the Lord; at other times, she fell victim to the trap of looking for validation through another. If your name is "Leah girl," take the first step today to develop a relationship with Christ. Let the Lord create in you that which will bring eternal satisfaction.

-E. Walters

***( Then there is a reflections section with questions you can answer in your journal)

Reflection:

Have you had the courage to leave unhealthy patterns in the past?
What got you through?

Use your past success to help break other unhealthy patterns or share your testimony with someone who needs to hear it.

Bobbiedoll, I'm sure you get the picture. It really helps me to see how I can possibly relate to someone that lived so many years ago. HTH

BobbieDoll

Thank you so much! I think I may be a "Leah Girl" myself even though that was an example it helped me in so many ways. I'm going to look for the study bible you suggested!

blazingthru

I can help you and anyone else if you would like. I started one section. its called bible study. the bible. Lets start with that and move into the next one. you can get some crayons and highlight each scripture and write the next scripture next to it so you know which direction to go in. I use one color for each topic.

The next lessons will be on Jesus our savoir. I will post that tonight. I do not want to overwhelm anyone. Pray before you start. a simple prayer asking God to open your heart and your mind to his words and pray for memory and understanding. Get ready its a very interesting trip. You will read things you read before but this time it will all come together.

Guitarhero

I'd suggest a concordance and a bible course that is recommended by your pastor. There are some that are books as well as online.

Vonnieluvs08

I went to a conference earlier this month about just this. I took the Basic Bible Study Methods and Hermanuetics(sp?) classes and they have been a big help. They also had advance courses for Christ in the Gospel and Christ in the Pentatuch (sp?) which were for specific bible study on Christ.

I will come back and post some of my notes from the classes later.

Crown

A concordance is a very good way to study the Bible, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

If you take a Bible course or Bible study, you will have the way this person/group or denomination views the Bible. The first lessons are general, about the history and credibility of the Bible, salvation and Jesus-Christ…
And come the doctrines : different from one group to another.
There is no new thing under the sun, one verse here and one verse there, you (general) can make the Bible says what you want It to say, honestly or not.
For example, if someone wants to demonstrate :
Jesus-Christ is not God revealed in the flesh, but just a little god, he will.
The Sabbath day is still to be practiced, he will.
Christians should observe the Jewish feasts, he will.
The gifts of the Holy Ghost are no more available, he will.
….
But is it The Truth?
….
You can pick whatever Bible course you want, if you want to go this way.

But, with a concordance and the Holy Spirit, you will have a better view, a better understanding. With a key word, you will have all the verses about this subject. Note or print them, take a regular time for your study, pray, read with context (not only the verse but the chapter), meditate, and discuss with other believers if it is possible.

You can find an online Bible concordance, like these :
http://www.biblegateway.com/
http://www.biblica.com/niv/appendix/concordance.php

May God bless you and guide you by His Holy Spirit while you are studying His Word!

CinnaMocha

^^^
Years ago, when I started to take my walk with Lord more seriously, I tried to read the Bible cover to cover. I found myself so discouraged and didn't even make the attempt. When SO came into my life, we would have our little bible studies, and this was good for me. However, I still had no idea where to start, but when he would use scriptures to prove a point, and for some I couldn't really debate, it pushed me to start to seek out for myself (the best thing that could have happened to me).

I find myself, just as you stated, using my concordance and direction from Him to start reading. I realized that you don't have to read in from front to back and everything is so much clearer, for the most part. Like now, I've been directed to read the major and minor prophets and it keeps me captivated.

OP, pray about it and use an in depth concordance to help, like others have stated...It's such a big help...

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I agree w/ Crown, using a good Concordance and relying on the Holy Spirit to guide you, God will help you understand. So the first thing I suggest you do is to pray before each reading. Ask God to feed your spirit with his word, to give you revelation knowledge and ask that it flow freely through your mind. God IS the Word... He is everything, to everyone....and since our relationship with him is personal, what one Scripture reveals to you and what you're going through, may not translate for someone else.

It's good to do start with a Bible study guide, to know the basics - the historical aspect of the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation and to take it from there. A guide will keep you from going all over the place and your choosing what to read. Bible gateway has good reading plans:
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/readingplans/
Try one, commit yourself to stick with it and see the Word unfold before your very eyes.

God's Word is amazing...as you read and understand more, you'll also want to discuss or share with other believers. That's a good thing. All the best with your Bible studies!

Hi Ladies. I recently started trying to read my bible daily but I came to the conclusion that I need to actually study the Bible to really get to know the Word but when I read I end up reading the same thing over and over again or just flipping until I see a description of the chapter I think will interest me. I really want to know the word but I know I can't do that if I keep reading the same scriptures. Can someone give me some suggestions on how to start studying instead of just reading? Thanks in advance!

Beauty4Ashes

http://amesbible.org/download.html

This site was mentioned on here several years ago - it's an actual Bible college. It was a blessing when I first began seriously trying to study the Bible. It's free!

I also don't recommend reading the Bible front to back...it doesn't make sense when you read it that way. The Bible is actually broken up into several parts by type such as history, law, poetry, prophets, etc. It is not in chronological order although you can buy a chronological Bible.