How to take care of Gray Hair

Subscribe

Please educate me on how to take care of my mom's gray hair.

She's natural and has chin length hair.

faithVA

[USER=395359 said:
Subscribe[/USER];19313865]Gray hair is really wirey and wild. Any suggestions? Does it hold moisture?

We may need to know more about your mom's hair. All gray hair isn't the same. Some have wiry hair. Some have soft hair. Some of it will straighten out. Some of it will curl.

You are going to have to do some detective work with her hair.
1. What is the density? Low, medium, high
2. Are her strands fine, normal, coarse
3. What's her porosity: low, normal, high
4. Does she have small curls, bigger curls, kinks, coils?

How does she care for it now?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yea. Grey hair is not all the same. Is she all grey or salt n pepper? Is her hair soft or dry or oily? Whats her porosity? Does she dye her greys?

Subscribe

We may need to know more about your mom's hair. All gray hair isn't the same. Some have wiry hair. Some have soft hair. Some of it will straighten out. Some of it will curl.

You are going to have to do some detective work with her hair.
1. What is the density? Low, medium, high --- low density, trying to combat alopecia, hormonal issues and meds that thin your hair.

2. Are her strands fine, normal, coarse ------ fine
3. What's her porosity: low, normal, high ----- high porosity
4. Does she have small curls, bigger curls, kinks, coils? No curls. Soft wave

How does she care for it now?
Co wash once per week, no sulphates JBCO on scalp once a week, 2minute protein once a week followed by deep condition w/AOHSR. m/s every other day using loc method.

Yea. Grey hair is not all the same. Is she all grey or salt n pepper? Is her hair soft or dry or oily? Whats her porosity? Does she dye her greys?

She's Salt and Pepper. Her hair is very soft and all of her hair heat straightened except 3 inches. Those 3 inches have a soft wave.

faithVA

[USER=395359 said:
Subscribe[/USER];19315895]Co wash once per week, no sulphates JBCO on scalp once a week, 2minute protein once a week followed by deep condition w/AOHSR. m/s every other day using loc method.

She's Salt and Pepper. Her hair is very soft and all of her hair heat straightened except 3 inches. Those 3 inches have a soft wave.

What's the problem with her hair? Why don't you think it's taken care of?

Subscribe

It's wirey and those pieces are much shorter than the rest. That's why I wanted to know if grays retain moisture or break easily.

Ms. Syl

I have a lot of gray hair and I am relaxed. I use carol's daughter monoi products. I have learned a lot from this forum; moisture , moisture and more moisture. I use s- curl every day to very lightly moisturize, then I seal with a tiny bit of carols daughter honey pomade. I rub this thoroughly in my palms because white, silver hair can be easily discolored by product. My stylist uses old school PCJ relaxer on me and she does a rollerset on my hair. I have found that heat especially blow drying need to be kept to a bare minimum. I use caruso steam curlers to refresh my curls (I have been using this for years but there is a definite learning curve with carusos). I am also a fan of air drying using the scarf method when I do my hair at home and I will wear a pony tail with a curly scrunchie that matches my hair; this is my version of protective styling. I use coconut oil as well; it gives my hair a beautiful sheen; another product that I use is vitapointe which is creamy and white and needs to be thoroughly emulsified before putting on your hair. I find that less is more, I use all of these products sparingly.
I hope this helps.