How To's

Re: How To\'s-Ponytail Set

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks So much Dontspeak, thats exactly what I was looking for. I did a search but that thread did not come up.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are so very welcome! I hope it works out for you and your daughter.

Re: How To\'s

You're welcome, ThursdayGirl!

Spagirl, I have been on a search for those ornaments! Will let you know when I find them!

DSD, I was able to make the bun on the first try, too! It's in my photo album.
smile.gif

This thread is great. Girl you have some excellent tips on here. Hairlove your bun looks great. Keep up the good work girl!

You're welcome.
smile.gif

There's also some nice links at the bottom of the page on more weave-related articles.
trampoline.gif

Thanks Hairlove and DSD for the info on the bun and ponytail set! Now I know what to do with my extra hair when wearing that type bun
think.gif
! (And Hairlove my hair is no where near as long as your's but it is a goal
smile.gif
)!

Also, If you guys are very creative, have yall thought of making those pretty hair thingys? You can get all types of beads and rhinestones at any fabric store/craft store and you can use a cattail wire that bends easily to form around the bun. After pricing hairpins for my wedding, I decided to use what God gave me and make my own. I was pleased!

Reposting here upon request
smile.gif

The primary ingredients for a natural looking curl on relaxed hair are:

conditioner
curl spray or gel and/or styling creme
serum

Some people may not need the styling creme and the curl spray togther. I can do without the styling creme in a pinch for instance - but not both.

The products I use to achieve my curl vary, but for the most part I use the following:

Any leave in or lightweight rinse out conditoner will do. Lately, I've had fab results with Sebastian Moisture Base. Again, any conditioner that you like that isn't too heavy and doesn't have too many cones will work. I wouldn't go for instance with a cholesterol conditioner.

I religiously use and will never give up John Freida Dream Curls. That's the curl spray that does the trick on my hair. A good gel that has a similar purpose is KMS curling balm. Either will effect the same results - to encourage and hold the curl in the hair minus crunch (a determining factor for me). If you have a hard time with the sprays and gels some people's hair responds better to non-alcohol mousse. John Frieda's Frizz Ease line has one that is superior. Point? You need something to encourage the curl.

The styling cremes (I like Salon Selectives Loosely Defined and my favorite is L'oreal UnFrizz Taming Creme) are optional but they give a nice finished look and some control if your hair tends to get too big as it dries.

The serum is key. I've experimented a lot and you need a good thick one. I like Keracare's Silken Seal. It should go after the conditioner and the creme's but before the spray. The product encouraging the curl should be the last to go on.

The rest is in the technique. I lightly wrap a towel around my head after washing just so it's not soaking wet. A minute or two - tops. Then I apply a tablespoon size of conditioner (mostly to the last 3 inches of my hair) and the styling creme if I'm using one. Then I tie my edges with a satiny rectangular shaped scarf (I mention the shape only because it should extend back toward the crown only about 2-3 inches - otherwise the top of the hair will be flat). I leave the scarf on until it's mostly dry and to the the area that's left free I apply the curl spray liberally and then the serum.

Then I DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT (can you tell this is important? ) until it's 75% dry. It should feel slightly damp but mostly dry to the touch. At that point I lightly gather just the tips of my hair in my fists and squeeze gently. That helps encourage the curl on the strands that aren't going with the flow. It helps to bend over and let gravity help separate the strands from one another to give a nice, full appearance.

Sorry Spagirl...
crazy.gif

I think it is Spagirl...
grin.gif

I think nautrals refer to it as the shake and go - only on natural hair, it's a little less shake and a little more go!
laugh.gif

Relaxed hair takes a little more coaxing but if some of the curl pattern is left intact, it's far more doable than people know...
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MoezThunder said:
i cant get the french twist site up

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
I think I had to delete the 1st http in the address bar.
Try this

[/ QUOTE ]

Katrine, that dreamweaver site is great. It's definitely in my favorites, Its so clear and concise. thanks for the tip.
clap.gif

So that's the bump you where referring to....I see why I couldn't find it on a page by page date search, there are some more posts since my link was saved. Thanks DSD!

After seeing the instructions on page 2 of The Styling Station I felt this was more in line with the picture on the top of page on that site.

Figure 8 Coil Bun:

We will begin by forming the the bottom left half of the 8.

1.Gather hair together into a low/mid ponytail (do not secure with a band).
2. Twist the base of the ponytail downward and outward to the left to coil the hair.
3. As you twist coil downward you are making the left side of the bottom half of the 8.
4. Continue to twist coil and begin to curve toward the right to make the base of the 8.
5. Continue to twist coil and curve up the right side of the 8.
6. Continue to twist coil upward and curve to the left toward your starting point (cross over your starting point, bottom half of 8 is finished).
7. Continue to twist coil upward on the left side of the upper half of the 8.
8. Continue to twist coil curving toward the right forming the top of the 8.
9. Continue to twist coil curving downward to form the upper right half of the 8.
10. Continue to twist coil curving to the left, back towards the middle (forming the base of the top half of the 8), put your ends under the cross over section of the figure 8 and pin using your Good Hair Days(GHD) pins. Secure style with pins at the points were you feel it is best to.

When learning to make this bun you might want to place the GHD pins at the points were you begin to curve the hair as your forming the 8. Without pics I hope this makes sense.

Accessorize with accessories of choice or wear plain. When I finalize my camera choice (sale price is now a factor) I will post step by step pics in my Bun Challenge folder if necessary. I will poll to find out the need.

Variations: Depending on where you start you can get an 8 shape at different angles, or if you choose a different starting point ex. going upward fist you can mold the shape into a question mark (?) vs. a candy cane, using 2 or more twist the styles can become endless only limited by your imagination.

Don't forget to check out the other style and instructions on the above site. Enjoy!

A few previously posted bun sites and threads:
How to make a save bun...Pixs included
How to Make a Bun ( for shorter hair)
Burnt out on BUNS! ! ! !
The Bun that broke my hair off
Bun Problem Solved

Back