I am afraid of Protective Styling!

SignatureBeauty

I always want to try one but I am so afraid:( Because I never had a problem with growth & my hair grows well from daily washing & grooming, But I am afraid that if I start my hair with Protective styles that once it comes out of that protective style my hair will start to break & shed and become tangled & matted, The only thing I do is cornrowing it and have been wearing a wig from time to time ro a phony pony with a comb attachment,but the next day I have to take them down and cleanse my hair and scalp, I wouldn't call them protective styles:D But I also was thinking of getting a sew in weave around November but I might take it down the next day LOL!! When I was relaxed I had no problem with a sew in weave, But being Natural I treat my hair like a Queen.

I am just so scared that my protective style will backfire on me since my hair has been growing just fine being out. I feel confused sometimes.

Anyone else feels this way?

Colliecole

For me, protective styling makes me appreciate it so much more when I actually style my hair. I protective style about 90% of the time (baggy with phony pony over it) so when I get the nerve to style or add head (God forbid...) then I really enjoy the experience. It's almost like my monthy treat LOL. But after I style I have to really protect it the next day because I feel the damage. But, I dont know if it feels this way because its more fragile because I've been protecting it so much or because I'm not used to the feelig of hair that's been exposed (a.k.a hair thats not drenched in oil, conditioner, and vasaline)... I think it's just me honestly. I dont think protecting your hair all the time will make it more fragile. If anything it should make it stronger!...with protien of coarse :)

SignatureBeauty

See I never done any of those things until a few months ago, I have been here since 2003 and have always grown my hair without protective styling, but I guess if it ain't broke...............! But I just can't leave my hair alone, I mean I have HIF Disease Bad!

DivaEsq

I think you just have to do whatever works for you.. I don't use protective styles and I am doing fine. I have thought about it but I just have not seen any that I could wear daily..

Isis

Protective styling is a choice. The ladies here successfully grow long, healthy hair with or without it. I believe haircare and hair styling is supposed to be fun and if any haircare procedure made me feel uncomfortable, I would leave it alone and do only what feels best.:)