I am Also Confused about my hair texture.

Nessa

My hair is kinky and a little wavy. When I shower my hair is straight. But my new growth is kinky. My hair is thick when dry.But my hair is fine. People say I have course hair. But it is fine. I think I am 4a/4b or a type 2. Please answer because I need to post another topic very important.

Okay is the hair that is straight in the shower relaxed? If so, then you need to look at your new growth, thats your natural hair w/out any chemicals (if you relax). HTH!

If your new growth is straight when wet and it gets easily wet in a couple seconds after ifs dipped in water, you could be 3C,

However if your newgrowth takes a lil longer to get wet and doesnt get completly straight your a 4A

4B hair stays relativly curly in the water.

*Make sure you look at your new growth only and not your relaxed hair.

I thought 4b was more of z pattern and not really a s or curly pattern???
confused.gif
confused.gif
God bless you all.

Well my new growth is kinky and wavy. I just took a shower but now I seemy hair in cornrows and it is still kinky and wavy in the water.It kinda takes 10 seconds for it to get wet. And that's all I can say. Oh yeah it is thick/course

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Nessa said:
Well my new growth is kinky and wavy. I just took a shower but now I seemy hair in cornrows and it is still kinky and wavy in the water.It kinda takes 10 seconds for it to get wet. And that's all I can say. Oh yeah it is thick/course

[/ QUOTE ]

Well type 4 hair usually somewhat fine (see the chart). So if you have coarse hair it's more likely to be in the 3 range. Thick hair just means that you have a lot of strands on your head.

ummm???? well if its still kinky and wavy in the water, im thinking its more of a type 4

When nessa said coarse hair I envision, typical AA hair which would be 4a/b

My hair is in the 3b/c range it's not coarse, but it can get thick (think latina's kind of hair)

*Just a note: type 4 is usually fine/coarse hair

Nessa said:
But my hair is fine also. It appears thick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that you are a 4a/b then. Do you have a curl pattern?

emgurl said:*Just a note: type 4 is usually fine/coarse hair

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Hair is either coarse or fine. It can't be both. And type 4 is usually fine.

My hair is course but it is fine. Like weak and that stuff. I don't know why but it just looks that way.

BrightEyes said:
emgurl said:*Just a note: type 4 is usually fine/coarse hair

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Hair is either coarse or fine. It can't be both. And type 4 is usually fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hair is either fine or thick.. coarseness has to do with dryness and the ability to run a comb through it.
Fine hair just means that your hair strand is smaller is diameter. if you have alot of those hair strand curled up in a ball,like type 4a, your hair will be coarse and hard to comb..

Hair is either fine or thick.. coarseness has to do with dryness and the ability to run a comb through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

TRUE!

geez, i thought i knew what kind of hair i have. now i'm not so sure either...
laugh.gif

mine is thick (strand wise) but wavy. it wets easily and is almost completely straight when wet. i have very little shrinkage as it dries. what kind of hair is that?

Just what Emgurl said I have that kind of hair. OH yeah. I am so dum dum dum dum. My hair shrinks a little bit while wet. But from what people say I think I am 4a/4b.Adrienne your hair may be: 2c/4a/4b That is what I think. Have you got my PM. Because I haven't got a PM from ya.

what am i then? i honestly don't know because when i think of 3 hair, i think of cree summer or yantecoi from the hair boards. my hair does not behave like theirs either.
confused.gif

If your talking about your new growth, I'd say its more in the 3 range..

Type 3 hair is very similar to the relaxed texture, as in you could go 5 months+ without really needing a relaxer. becuse the diff between type 3 hair and the relaxed ends arent as noticable.

Type 4 hair new growth would need to be touched up in as little as 4 weeks because of the difference in texture. and the coarseness of the hair.

okay then based on this, i guess i could consider my hair a 3C because i've gone as long as 8 months without a relaxer. i never get breakage from waiting, only shedding, which i think is an internal issue. ya know?

thanks for the info, everyone! i guess you learn something new no matter how long you've been here...
smile.gif

adrienne

Adrienne : you mentioned your hair gets ALMOST straight when wet, but not quite, I think you might be 4a/3c.

YOu really know hair textures Emgurl. You may be right though. WEll Adreinne could you describe your hair again descripticly.

I was close Emgurl cause I said 2c/4a. but you are correct it is 3c/4a. Well I am gonna write another post know that I think I know my hair type. Emgurl What was it again?
I need to write my other post.

nessa, i got your PM. i'll write you when i get home, sugah! i can't even keep up with the board right now.
grin.gif

adrienne

Adrienne, your description of your hair sounds exactly like mine (except the thick strands). 3b has a medium amount of curl to tight corkscrews. 3C is a mixture of tight corkscrews and tightly coiled curls. 4a is wiry, kinky and tightly coiled.

I would guess that you're a 3b/3c.

I don't want to be annoying to you adrienne did you get my PM? If you didn't there must have been a disconnection. Well just wanted to say.I hope I am not annoying to you.

Back