I am confused about Christians and their voting habits

ambergirl

I'll start with the second bolded. People were and are definitely offended by Jesus. That's why He was crucified. That's why He said the quote, and that's why many people turned away from Him in the Gospels...because they were offended by His teachings. And I mean the hard ones. I don't mean the nice ones that everyone likes. One's like "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one can come to the Father except through me." In order to still like and not be offended by Jesus, many have to either ignore words like those or make them into something they aren't. It is easy not to grapple with Jesus' teachings when some are conveniently left out or glossed over.

With respect to the first bolded, genuine atheists are a very small segment of the population. The vast majority of people do believe and have always believed in God. Polls also show that the vast majority of Americans pray often. The concept of defined "doctrine," though, offends people because it boxes everyone in. If there are 5000 ways to get to "heaven," then whatever way I feel like going is probably fine, and "heaven" is whatever I envision it to be. If someone tells me there is "one" way, then I have to conform to that one way...I do not decide for myself what is wrong and what is not wrong, I don't decide what is the best way, and I have to submit to another standard that I may not like.

Of course people have a sense of their faults. Knowing that you are not perfect is not the issue. The issue is meeting God's standards rather than one's own.

The only reason I mentioned atheists is because they're out there and they just don't believe in any supernatural force.

However, on the first bolded yes some people where offended by Jesus back in the day, but most of the people I know who question Christianity today actually resonate with a lot of Jesus' teachings. They understand that biblical scripture today reflects a long history of men editing content, just don't take them literally, and certainly don't accept the interpretations coming out of most of the churches.

I would argue that for most of us spiritual but not religious people, we believe the Bible was written by man, that Jesus was a man, that Paul was a man and therefore these texts should be interpreted that way. Some of the things in the Bible are very beautiful and ring true. Others sound like they are coming straight out of the BC and 1st century period because....they were. What we reject is this notion that just because something was said 2000 year ago and made it into a book doesn't mean it's shouldn't be questioned and subjected to discernment as you would with anything else you encounter.

For example, I like the scripture you quote here of Jesus saying he is the way. But does that mean worshiping him and following some antiquated rules from 2000 years ago? Not to me. It means follow his example, of compassion for the sick, scorned, and weak with humility and faith in the order of a Divinely inspired universe. Matter of interpretation.

I also think where folks differ is whether God has a standard and if so, what is it and who interpretes it ? For me, if there are Godly standards they are off the highest order and inspire us to be our best selves rather than giving in to pettiness and smallness. For example, I just don't believe that a Divine being capable of creating the majesty of the universe would care one whit about whether you ate meat on Friday or what type of sex you have with your partner or any of the other small minded stuff the Bible tries to say are God's standards.

That's why I just can't get with the Christian program. It's one part compassion and acceptance and four parts condemnation and judgement based on human interpretations of a book written thousands of years ago.

BostonMaria

I can't pick and choose which parts of the bible are convenient for me. My mentor is a gay Jewish man. My manager is gay. My gay friend sent me a "happy mothers day" text this morning. I genuinely love these men. The thought of them losing their souls haunts me. I never discuss gay marriage or politics because I don't want to offend them. Jesus tells me I have to love them anyway. I have to love the person, but not the sin. I'm not perfect and I'll never be perfect. But I can't willingly support something that God calls an abomination.

BTW I go to an awesome bible based church that also has a healing ministry. I'm sorry that some of you guys have encountered mean Christians that have ruined your relationships with God. I once was VERY offended with a priest to the point where I stopped going to church for about 10 years. I realized that the priest didn't represent all Catholics. I ended up finding a nondenominational church that taught the Word.

auparavant

A very Jewish concept is scripture and sacred writings that are to be applied and transformed to modern living in whichever era one finds it. That has likewise passed onto christianity. It is there. Saying it is not is demonstrating misunderstanding and lack of knowledge of the very thing condemned as not possessing that ability nor having practiced it.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Oh gosh. When I first posted in here I didn't realize this was the Christian forum.

I try to respect this space for those who are Christians, but I will say this with regards to this post.

This is not why most people question Christianity at all. In fact, I think most people are quite hard on themselves about their flaws and a lot of the dysfunction we see is a result of trying to compensate and cover up those flaws. One of the biggest sections in any book store is the personal development section because people are searching for ways to make their lives work better and to feel whole and complete.

Atheists question the existence of anything beyond the physical and rational. But for those who are more open to spiritual experience it's more about not agreeing that Christianity is the one and only true path, doubting that the Bible is the literal word of God, questioning the interpretations of any of the churches, priests, preachers, and ministers, and especially rejecting the imposition of those interpretations on others.

Christianity is also done in by some of its followers. There are some great Christians and there are some hateful, angry, judgemental, manipulative, mean spirited Christians and the second group is much more vocal. I don't know what you do about that but all that condemnation and judgement just makes people like me who are respectful of many aspects of Christianity just tune out and run away.

The Jesus quote you listed. "Blessed is the one who is not offended by me" is really telling. I don't think people are offended by Jesus. I know I'm not. But people are offended by Jesus' followers who from the earliest days of Christianity have skewed the message to fit their own needs and beliefs.

This seems to be the 'unconscious' destination for several 'non Christians' regarding this topic.... :look:

You came here to get your point across regarding how you feel about Christians, otherwise you would have left saying nothing. :yep:

nathansgirl1908

I'm sorry that some of you guys have encountered mean Christians that have ruined your relationships with God.
It's really just an excuse. The bottom line is that people just don't want to be held accountable. They want to make their own rules and ignore God's rules. Many of the "mean" Christians they have encountered That they claimed made them turn away have simply been unwilling to participate or condone sinful behavior. When you really want to do something, including following Christ, you will do it. And the behavior of others won't stop you.

SummerSolstice

I can't pick and choose which parts of the bible are convenient for me. My mentor is a gay Jewish man. My manager is gay. My gay friend sent me a "happy mothers day" text this morning. I genuinely love these men. The thought of them losing their souls haunts me. I never discuss gay marriage or politics because I don't want to offend them. Jesus tells me I have to love them anyway. I have to love the person, but not the sin. I'm not perfect and I'll never be perfect. But I can't willingly support something that God calls an abomination.

BTW I go to an awesome bible based church that also has a healing ministry. I'm sorry that some of you guys have encountered mean Christians that have ruined your relationships with God. I once was VERY offended with a priest to the point where I stopped going to church for about 10 years. I realized that the priest didn't represent all Catholics. I ended up finding a nondenominational church that taught the Word.

This is why I started that other thread... some of my associates seem to be drawing a line and I am wondering if avoiding the topic altogether is the wrong thing, just because those people's souls are in question. its so scary.

ambergirl

This seems to be the 'unconscious' destination for several 'non Christians' regarding this topic.... :look:

You came here to get your point across regarding how you feel about Christians, otherwise you would have left saying nothing. :yep:

Perfect example of what I'm talking about.

I can't remember the last time I posted in here, in no small part to some of your behavior in the past.

Hope you had a great Mother's Day :rosebud:

Thanks to those who were cordial and thoughtful.

Shimmie

Staff member
Perfect example of what I'm talking about.

I can't remember the last time I posted in here, in no small part to some of your behavior in the past.

Hope you had a great Mother's Day :rosebud:

Thanks to those who were cordial and thoughtful.

It was very nice, thanks for the rose.

The point I'm making it that a 'trend' is following: Opposers of Christians come in to post their disdain of Christians and the Bible, and then the 'stream' of 'thanks' are posted and others follow suit posting their opposition to Christians and God's Word.

It's one thing to share a view, however it's another to post negative / bashing views against Christians for others to join on the band wagon with it.

Christians get 'bashed' enough as it in the other areas of this forum. The Christian forum is not for that. :nono:

DaiseeDay

firecracker said:
I see this forum resembles off topic with a lil Jesus juice throw in.

Now it kind of does doesn't it?

More accurately it now resembles Christian Fellowship with a little mess starting thrown in.

BostonMaria

This is why I started that other thread... some of my associates seem to be drawing a line and I am wondering if avoiding the topic altogether is the wrong thing, just because those people's souls are in question. its so scary.

SummerSolstice

I see how Shimmie and others are very knowledgeable on the word. I'm still a "baby" Christian and I am scared to be one of those Christians to scare somebody away from Christ :lol:

SummerSolstice

BostonMaria... I'm like a tween at this point :lol: i totally know how you feel. I haven't memorized a ton of scripture yet so I'm always fumbling for what I am trying to say. It is almost better to say nothing :nono: makes me feel like I will be held responsible for lost souls

DaiseeDay

SummerSolstice said:
BostonMaria... I'm like a tween at this point :lol: i totally know how you feel. I haven't memorized a ton of scripture yet so I'm always fumbling for what I am trying to say. It is almost better to say nothing :nono: makes me feel like I will be held responsible for lost souls

As long as your heart is right I don't think you'll be responsible for lost souls.

Sometimes I don't think I've memorized much scripture at all, but when I need one the right one ones to mind (though I need to work on getting the exact verse reference lol).

A tip I got from a retreat was to

1. Cut up printer paper into pocket sized squares

2. On one side write the verse reference and it's "category" (whatever it means to you such as "sin" "hope" "faith") ( ex. "Philippians 4:7 - peace")

3. On the other side write the verse out, and write the verse reference at the bottom (ex. "Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:7")

4. Keep it in your pocket (they sold little "verse keepers", but you can keep them with rubber bands around them or whatever)

5. Work on ONE verse at a time saying the whole thing out loud whenever you have a moment (red lights, lunch, waiting in line) it doesn't matter how long you work on a verse, quality is better than quantity.

6. Keep all of your memorized verses in your pocket along with the one you're working on so you can "quiz" yourself and just have them for reference.

It's just cool to realize how much time we have throughout the day where we're doing nothing except for waiting and we could be memorizing verses.

NaturallySweet73

So now a bunch of women I'm friends with online are saying they will vote for Romney because of what Obama said yesterday :wallbash:

Whats up with our community failing to research before they vote???
Don't they understand that there are traps set for Christians along the political trail?

With that said...
Did you decide who you were voting for already?
Have any of the voters in CF read the budget proposals on either side?

2012 Republican Budget Proposal
2013 Democrat Budget Proposal

I have read this thread and some like it on here. I will be honest, I am quite disturbed. Our aim as Christians is to be Christ like and reflect him. If I truly am a CHRISTian my fruits will bare that out. One of the main things that will happen is that I will hate what he hates. I may stumble, but it is only due to me being in ignorance or struggling to be obedient, not a flat out refusal to be obedient and a refusal to aligned myself with his will.

I am going to be disgusted with things he calls abominable . If I am not, I am going to be obedient in not entertaining it, condoning it, or taking part in it in anyway.

Homosexuality, as it has been pointed out, is the only sin that the Lord calls an abomination: Leviticus 20:13; Leviticus 18:22

Romans 1:18-31 says:

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

There is no confusion here.........God is against homosexuality and homosexual marriage is consequently evil to him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktliUuaThfg

Isaiah 5:20 says:
Isa 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

I thinks it comes down to who we are with, because this is an issue that is causing a line to be drawn. What we believe is good or bad and what we use to interpret that belief. The Word of God or Worldly Culture.

I am in this world but not of it(Romans 12:2), and am a representative of Christ on the earth (2 Corinthians 5:20) as an ambassador I am hear to do his will in the earth, not align with the World.

But that is the decision that many have to make. We cant be on the fence anymore. The enemy wont let us and the hour is late and if we insist on staying their he will spew us out of his mouth (Revelations 3:16)

To answer your original question, I will NOT be voting for either.

Shimmie

Staff member
SummerSolstice

I see how Shimmie and others are very knowledgeable on the word. I'm still a "baby" Christian and I am scared to be one of those Christians to scare somebody away from Christ :lol:

The two of you have more knowledge of scripture than you're giving yourselves credit for. :yep:

I used to go to sleep listening to Bible tapes; our spirits never sleep and while we are sleeping our spirits absorb and retain what we hear. :sleep2:

Scriptures end up pouring from your hearts without a second thought. It's been planted there while you were sleeping. :yep:

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I saw this on Facebook today and thought I'd share:

A person who walks by faith is simply one who refuses to be moved away from their firm confidence in the word of God. #WalkByFaith

Rainbow Dash

What has happened to the CF??

Spiritual warfare...that's all.

We are human, but we don't wage war with human plans and methods. We use God's mighty weapons, not mere worldly weapons, to knock down the devil's strongholds... break down every proud argument that keeps people from knowing God... conquer their rebellious ideas, and we teach them to obey Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 NLT

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
It's really just an excuse. The bottom line is that people just don't want to be held accountable. They want to make their own rules and ignore God's rules. Many of the "mean" Christians they have encountered That they claimed made them turn away have simply been unwilling to participate or condone sinful behavior. When you really want to do something, including following Christ, you will do it. And the behavior of others won't stop you.
Not really true... not standing up with the rest of the church when the choir sings is not a sin. Not participating in all the church ministries is not a sin. Not going to church every Sunday is not a sin.

It some things that are not even sins that these "mean" Christians try to call out others on while they are the actual ones participating in sinful behavior.

I see nothing wrong with Christians speaking out against actual sin.

LucieLoo12

What gets alot of us is in trouble is people have this "Let me see what I can still do and be saved" mindset.

We are suppose to fulfill the word of God and its laws, but anything that God tells us to do and we don't do is disobedience/sin. But people only want to live in the boundaries of the 10 commandments and it goes waaayyy past that.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
What gets alot of us is in trouble is people have this "Let me see what I can still do and be saved" mindset.

We are suppose to fulfill the word of God and its laws, but anything that God tells us to do and we don't do is disobedience/sin. But people only want to live in the boundaries of the 10 commandments and it goes waaayyy past that.

But when I said "actual sin", I'm not just talking about the 10 commandments. I'm talking about other sins mentioned throughout the bible too, not just in Exodus.

LucieLoo12

:look:

I was just making a comment about the responses I read in general in here, this comment wasn't made toward you.:yep:

But when I said "actual sin", I'm not just talking about the 10 commandments. I'm talking about other sins mentioned throughout the bible too, not just in Exodus.

Renewed1

Shimmie girl you are funny!!!

Anyways, I LOVE it when Christians have political debates. I have it with my friends all the time.

Sorry.....carry on.....

Renewed1

Shimmie girl you are funny.

Anyways, I love it when Christians have political debates. I have them with my friends all the time.

Sorry....carry on...