I AM OFFICIALLY SALON FREE!!! (kinda long)

Wishin4BSL

(added pic!) I haven't posted in a while but I am so excited about this!!! I have told you all about my absolutely wonderful stylist Jay. She is still great, but she moved to JCPenny and the salon charges $70 for a relaxer!!! :help::thud:I could NOT pay that much for my hair! So 2 days ago, I took a trip to the beauty supply store, bought all my relaxer supplies, and waited for the fateful day (today!) to relax my hair. I sped through applying the relaxer it like crazy because I was scared that I would get it too straight (I'm a texlaxer). I made it into the shower 20 minutes exactly. I used Design Essentials leave in (now my FAVORITE product!!!) and rollerset it, which turned out a bit too loose (i only had one clip per roller! :help:), then I flatironed a few choice areas of my roots that were a bit fluffy, and voila! Salon-fresh hair! It looks and feels just as wonderful as when my stylist did it! My SO completely agrees. He said that he is proud of me and he knew I could do it. Now I don't know why I EVER went to a stylist for a relaxer! I'll never go again! I think EVERYONE should self relax! If I can do it, anyone can! Now I just need to learn how to trim it evenly...:yep: :grin:

http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1690/11416310/20227797/328316151.jpg

http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1690/11416310/20227785/328318149.jpg

Last edited:

hairdrama:{

:woohoo2: It's a great feeling, isn't it? I felt the same way a year ago and no regrets 'till today, nobody will treat your hair better than you do, that is a fact. Now you just have to self trim and you'll be good to go.....:yep:. I gotta work on that as well..:look:

Congratulations!

Wishin4BSL

Thanks ladies! It feels great! So much money saved! The supplies I bought, plus shampoo and conditioner, PLUS a blow dryer (just in case I got antsy under the dryer, which I didn't!) cost less than my old stylist's regular price (it was $55 before)!

Iluvsmuhgrass

Your hair looks incredible! Girl I think I'm about to join you. I'll go to the salon for trims and styles but I'm believe I'm going to relax my own grass. I can't afford it anymore, which makes me sad because I really love my stylist. :ohwell:

Wishin4BSL

Your hair looks incredible! Girl I think I'm about to join you. I'll go to the salon for trims and styles but I'm believe I'm going to relax my own grass. I can't afford it anymore, which makes me sad because I really love my stylist. :ohwell:

Yeah, I love my stylist too, so I understand your sadness. Until LHCF, I NEVER did my own hair. I talked to my mom about it and she said, "Honey, you and I have been going to the salon every 2 weeks ever since I can remember. If I could afford it, you would be going every week!" Well, her hair was always long and mine WASN'T! My grandmother is Native American so I think that's where she gets her texture from, but I was adopted. I had to lose the salons when I started taking care of my hair because stylists wouldn't do what I asked them to, until my last one. That's when the raggedy looking half pony tail half ball became my ONLY style. It's not as difficult to do as it seems though. I just remembered watching my stylist and then I tried to do what she did. You can do it!!!

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
(added pic!) I haven't posted in a while but I am so excited about this!!! I have told you all about my absolutely wonderful stylist Jay. She is still great, but she moved to JCPenny and the salon charges $70 for a relaxer!!! :help::thud:I could NOT pay that much for my hair! So 2 days ago, I took a trip to the beauty supply store, bought all my relaxer supplies, and waited for the fateful day (today!) to relax my hair. I sped through applying the relaxer it like crazy because I was scared that I would get it too straight (I'm a texlaxer). I made it into the shower 20 minutes exactly. I used Design Essentials leave in (now my FAVORITE product!!!) and rollerset it, which turned out a bit too loose (i only had one clip per roller! :help:), then I flatironed a few choice areas of my roots that were a bit fluffy, and voila! Salon-fresh hair! It looks and feels just as wonderful as when my stylist did it! My SO completely agrees. He said that he is proud of me and he knew I could do it. Now I don't know why I EVER went to a stylist for a relaxer! I'll never go again! I think EVERYONE should self relax! If I can do it, anyone can! Now I just need to learn how to trim it evenly...:yep: :grin:

http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1690/11416310/20227797/328316151.jpg

http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1690/11416310/20227785/328318149.jpg
good for you and your hair is beautiful

good job!

JaszG

Congrats! I don't think I'll ever be salon free, I just want to be able to style my own hair. If I tried to do my own relaxer, I'd probably mess my hair allll the way up! Good job though, your hair is pretty!!

Simply_Kelz

It looks really good! I'm salon-free too, except once or twice a year for fun .. or if I'm being really lazy. I just need to PERFECT my self-relaxing method and try trimming. Good job!

PureSilver

Your hair looks salon fresh indeed. It looks lovely. You did a wonderful job and you've lifted my confidence. Congrats and thank you.

I agree with you i don't think i'll be going to the salon to relax ever again after my experience wednesday even though it was an unprofessional person that did my hair.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and self relax and practise to do my weaves too. I'll be salon free in Jan 09 god's willing

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Congratulations! Your hair looks great!!!

Welcome to the DIY Club! :grin: