I cut my hair...

guudhair

today...it was still way to damaged for me to continue to try to "save" the color treated hair...after taking my braids out, so much of my hair was breaking, I just decided to cut it all off and start over...I cut it at the demarcation line so I'm not bald (I guess)...I left a little color in my hair because I might get braids and I want the braider to have a little more length to grab...I have tons of new growth that's not relaxed yet...I thought I would be sad but I'm actually kind of happy that I got rid of all that thin, fragile hair...now I get to start over with my natural color and texture....my hair is very thick and I can see that it's still healthy...I'm gonna relax my hair with ORS No Lye relaxer tomorrow...I'll probably end up getting braids again...by the way Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

chavascandy

You remind me of someone I knew about 1 year ago......ME! My hair was so damaged last year I chopped it all off. I mean the same length you are sporting now. I went from shoulder blade length to a straight fade.

Don't worry honey, your hair will grow back. Just take better care of it this time around.

You will see in the end that your big chop will be worth it. Your hair will be thicker and healthier.

Last edited:

chavascandy

May I suggest that you hold off on the relaxer. You really want to give your hair a chance to heal. Once you see that your are getting a big afro that is uncontrolable then consider applying a relaxer to your hair.

I've been were you are. It works trust me.

Mimi22

Braids are a great way of growing out the TWA. It'll grow strong and healthy, keep it maintained tho ! :yep:
Happi Hair Growing !

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do:yep: It's encouraging to read that your hair is better for it. It should be exciting to see how your hair grows over the next year.

guudhair

Thanks for the support ladies...I hope it doesn't take forever.

Chavascandy, I really don't know if I will be able to hold off...I'm already a couple of days shy of being 12 weeks post relaxer :perplexed...I'll try though...I already look a hot mess :lachen:...my SO is trying to get me to send him a pic of my new haircut before I relax or get braids...I don't think so buddy!

Last edited:
R

Reslnt1

Great decision.....I've done this a milion times...but now that i've found the site...this will be the last time.....good luck and HHG!!!

EMJazzy

Happily retired
May I suggest that you hold off on the relaxer. You really want to give your hair a chance to heal. Once you see that your are getting a big afro that is uncontrolable then consider applying a relaxer to your hair.

I've been were you are. It works trust me.

:up: I was thinking the same thing....

OP if you are going to braid it back up, why relax? You may find that you actually like/love your natural texture. :)

carrie

It will grow back MUCH thicker and healthier. I think I may be right behind you chopping mine.

guudhair

EMJazzy you're right...there's no point of me relaxing now..it will just be wasting a relaxer if I do because I'm gonna go ahead and get braids.

BeautifulFlower

EMJazzy you're right...there's no point of me relaxing now..it will just be wasting a relaxer if I do because I'm gonna go ahead and get braids.

If you do decide to relax eventually, I would suggest a Lye relaxer. So many girls, including myself, has had damaged thinning hair because of how harsh no lye relaxers can be on the hair shaft. I would have to say since making the transition from no-lye to lye (took about 2 years), may hair has been growing and still retaining its thickness.:yep: