I did a search on this and I still don't understand...

Porsche19

Why exactly is indirect heat not damaging?

It's still heat that is applied to your hair... the only thing that I can think of is that the heat isn't concentrated on any one part of your hair, so if you keep the heat at a good level, you won't scorch your hair, it would be less damage, but still damaging.

I never really thought about it before.

I know for sure that a hooded dryer is indirect heat, what about heating caps?

I'm thinking about putting the heating cap away and just leaving the deep conditioner in my hair for half an hour, and only using heat for protein conditioners every two weeks. I'm afraid that it is damaging on some level, and I use the heating cap 2x per week...

MizAvalon

I'm with you Porsche. ALL heat is damaging no matter what form it comes in. But indirect heat is *less* damaging.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I believe all heat CAN be damaging... i wouldn't necessary say it's totally damaging... depends on your technique and how you use any amount of heat on your hair. ;)

Isis

QUOTE=Porsche19]Why exactly is indirect heat not damaging?

It's still heat that is applied to your hair... the only thing that I can think of is that the heat isn't concentrated on any one part of your hair, so if you keep the heat at a good level, you won't scorch your hair, it would be less damage, but still damaging.

I never really thought about it before.

I know for sure that a hooded dryer is indirect heat, what about heating caps?

I'm thinking about putting the heating cap away and just leaving the deep conditioner in my hair for half an hour, and only using heat for protein conditioners every two weeks. I'm afraid that it is damaging on some level, and I use the heating cap 2x per week...[/QUOTE]Last year I bought a heating cap, the kind with gel inside that you microwave, and after I got it, I decided to give it away. It was exactly like putting a warm towel over your head. I leave my deep condtioner on my hair for 30-45 minutes with a plastic cap.

Last edited:

Tene

I agree, the only time I use a hooded dryer is when I get my relaxer and when I do an Aphogee treatment.