I did it - I made it to 12 weeks!!!!!

sweetcakes14

I did it! For the first time ever, I made it to 12 weeks post relaxer. My hair has never been as healthy as it is now and I really want to thank everyone at LHCF! Two years ago I got highlights in my hair and my hair shed consistently for one year. I would just run my fingers through my hair and hair would come out. I went on a mission to learn how to properly care for my hair and Thank God I found this forum last spring. I decided to get the big chop in May of 2004 to get rid of all the damage and thin ends. I wish I had found this forum when I got the highlights, I might not have lost soo much hair. I can't tell you how much I've learned from this forum (the importance of alternating between moisturizing and protein conditioners, moisturizing daily, protecting my ends to retain length, stretching relaxers, conditioner washes, detangling while conditioner is still in my hair, the Jilbere Comb, Salerm 21).

Previously, I could barely make it to 8 weeks. My hair would be snap-crackle-pop. When I got my relaxer back in December, I made a conscious decision to stretch out my relaxer and I did it! I made it to twelve weeks and am soo happy that I did - I couldn't have done it without my Sta-Sof-Fro (It saved my life). I'm soo excited and I just wanted to share it with everyone. I've added some new pictures to my fotki album so please feel free to stop by and take a glance.

Again, Thank you!!!!!!

Last edited:

RabiaElaine

Your hair looks great!!! Congratulation!!!

Now spill it!!!!!!!!!! How did you do it? How did you wear your hair? How often did you wash? How did you use the Sta So Fro?

Give us the good stuff!!

Lorraine

You go! I made it to only nine weeks recently and I really could tell a difference in the strength of my hair. Too bad I couldn't manage the new growth.

sweetcakes14

Thanks Ladies! I'm soo excited!!!!!

Rabia Elaine, I wash once a week with shampoo (Tuesdays) and do a conditioner wash on the weekends. I religiously mix ORS Olive Oil Lotion with a few drops of EVOO and add that to my hair & ends morning and night (it's not heavy at all). Once I was at about 7 weeks post-relaxer, I began to spray Sta-Sof Fro on my roots and I couldn't believe how soft it made my hair. I was able to comb it with no breakage! I also kept my hair in a bun, so my ends were never out. I also alternated weekly between AO GPB and a moisturizing conditioner. I believe that combination also worked, helping to strengthen my hair. I am just soo excited that I've found something that's working for my hair. I couldn't have done it without the great tips from this forum.

RabiaElaine

sweetcakes14 said:
Thanks Ladies! I'm soo excited!!!!!

Rabia Elaine, I wash once a week with shampoo (Tuesdays) and do a conditioner wash on the weekends. I religiously mix ORS Olive Oil Lotion with a few drops of EVOO and add that to my hair & ends morning and night (it's not heavy at all). Once I was at about 7 weeks post-relaxer, I began to spray Sta-Sof Fro on my roots and I couldn't believe how soft it made my hair. I was able to comb it with no breakage! I also kept my hair in a bun, so my ends were never out. I also alternated weekly between AO GPB and a moisturizing conditioner. I believe that combination also worked, helping to strengthen my hair. I am just soo excited that I've found something that's working for my hair. I couldn't have done it without the great tips from this forum.

Well thank you for all of that info. I will have to keep that in mind for the upcoming weeks. I am only 3 weeks post right now. Usually by week 4 I have a lot of growth. I usually relax at 6-7 weeks. I am going to try for 10 weeks. Though I might be tempted to relax it for my birthday next month, I'm going to try to resist that temptation.

Anyway I'm so happy that you found a stretching regimen that works for you!!!

Silkycoils

Congrats lady! I just made 12 weeks post-touch up myself and I'ma tell you . . . the 8th and 9th weeks are the toughest. If you can make it past those, you're good.

krissyprissy

Your story sounds alot like mine. Last year I also got highlights in my hair, it look so cute at first then the sheding started. I didnt know what to do and I quickly realized that I needed to change my hair routine. Thats when I got on the computer and discovered this site. I learned so many new things like co washes and the baggie method. I used to get my hair trimed and relaxed faithfully every 6 weeks, now I did 8 weeks last time. I'm currently at 7 weeks now and its getting hard to manage my thick 4b hair but my goal this time around is 9 weeks. I will use the baggie method to get me there.

Wish me luck :)

Cincysweetie

nslewis said:
Congrats lady! I just made 12 weeks post-touch up myself and I'ma tell you . . . the 8th and 9th weeks are the toughest. If you can make it past those, you're good.
You know, I think you are right about the 8th and 9th weeks being tough. This time my attempt to stretch started to get touch around week 7 because of a hair style mishap. But after I got past that 2 week rough patch, I was good and felt like maybe I could make it to my goal of 16 weeks. It especially helped me that I found Sylver2's method and NTM product. Anyway, I'm giving in and relaxing Tuesday (week 13) because it's the most convenient time for me.

sweetcakes14

What seems to have worked for me is spraying Sta-Sof-Fro onto my edges, roots and ends twice a day. That's was saved me. And I only wore my hair out for 2 days (V-Day) during these 12 weeks, otherwise, my hair was in a boring bun. Hopefully, I will continue to do this and improve the overall health of my hair.

brickhouse

That is wonderful. I know you are proud. Before I found this board I was getting a touch up and trim every 5 wks. When I told my stylist I would not be touching up my every 5 wks anymore she told me my hair will come out. It is a good thing I don't listen to her. My hair has now surpassed her. My last touch up was on 12/31/04 and I am trying to stretch it to 16 wks. Some people have to take it slow and add a couple of wks at a time each time they stretch. It is definitely worth it. My hair is so thick and full.