I didn't get braids. Stylist said my hair is too fine, soft and prone to damage...

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
So ladies, I have good news and bad news. Bad news first:

First, I basically lost about $70 buying human hair for my braids. Well, the BBS told me that I couldn't get my money back and had to use store credit. Yeah, right! Like I'mma use $70 for more products that I don't need and use.

Second, I didn't get braids. The lady who met me to do my braids took a look at my hair and examined it for health. The good news is that she said that it seems like my hair is healthy, growing and doing well. The bad news? She said that my hair is too soft, fine and delicate for braids. :nono:

She said that I could take a chance and get the braids but that she wouldn't add too much hair to each piece. But then she said that she couldn't be held responsible if I experience breakage or damage. :sad:The braids would put too much stress on my hair, she said, especially since it is longer and past my shoulders. So after some thought, I decided not to get the braids afterall.:perplexed

She told me that the best thing for me right now is to make sure that I continue to take care of my hair and treat it well since it's getting longer.

At first, I felt that she just didn't want to do my hair, but then I remembered what others here have said about their experiences, particularly the fine-haired ladies. So I didn't get the braids and probably won't.

However, my hair is growing very fast. Here I am barely 5 weeks post-relaxer and my NG is becoming more difficult, particularly at the base and crown. The front and edges are still fine and relaxed, but the other areas are out of control. I have at least 1" going on up there...

Miss*Tress

Re: I didn't get braids. Stylist said my hair is too fine, soft and prone to damage..

At last: a stylist with ethics! :clap:

You're probably really disappointed, but it's nothing to what you would feel if she had done the braids anyway and the effect on your hair a few weeks down the line.

Personally, I don't get my hair braided either precisely because my hair strands are too fine and I don't want any damage.

Poli

Re: I didn't get braids. Stylist said my hair is too fine, soft and prone to damage..

Do you think that because you have relaxed hair she feels it may break? I have fine hair and was told the same thing when I started with braids 10 years ago (I never had breakage, but I also did not have a relaxer). I started with about 2 inchs of hair:lachen:kid you not. I was wearing a natural for 8 years before. I started with human hair and kept them in a banana clip til I got the length I needed to start wearing them down so I wouldn't have the pulling action of the little hair I had LOL LOL.

Bint Yusef

My hair is mostly 3c with various other patches and its fine, but I am not relaxed. I have no problem with braids. But at least she did warn you, its nice to see someone not just decide to install braids to get the money and put your hair health first.

hOnii

ita! it's nice to see that there are still stylists that care. most would have just taken the money and done the service, without worrying about the long term damage. i don't think you will regret this decision!

gone_fishing

At last: a stylist with ethics! :clap:

You're probably really disappointed, but it's nothing to what you would feel if she had done the braids anyway and the effect on your hair a few weeks down the line.

Personally, I don't get my hair braided either precisely because my hair strands are too fine and I don't want any damage.

DITTO! I would have given her a big hug for her honesty and concern.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

I guess that I didn't see it like that. She was being ethical and I was thinking that she was trying to find an excuse not to do my hair. I figured that although I'm relaxed, I'm actually almost 6 weeks. My crown has thick NG, but my edges don't. Maybe she looked at my fine edges and determined that it wouldn't be in my best interest to get the braids. That's what she said. I appreciate that she noticed that. She would have made upwards of about $200 and she did forego the money to do what was right and in my best interest.:yep:

glamazon386

Sell the hair on ebay or in the product exchange board to get your money back... I'm a fine haired lady as well and I had a problem with braids taking my hair out back when I was relaxed. She probably did you a favor. Imagine how upset you would have been if you got them anyway and then lost hair afterwards.

br0wney3z

Wow, I wish I could find a stylist like that. I feel ya though, I just spent $40 on hair this weekend and another $80 to get it done to take it out after 2 days. She made the cornrows so tight that I couldn't wash my face without being in pain, even now that I have taken it out and rocking a braid out, my scalp is still VERY tender to the touch.:wallbash:

CurliDiva

So ladies, I have good news and bad news. Bad news first:

First, I basically lost about $70 buying human hair for my braids. Well, the BBS told me that I couldn't get my money back and had to use store credit. Yeah, right! Like I'mma use $70 for more products that I don't need and use.

Second, I didn't get braids. The lady who met me to do my braids took a look at my hair and examined it for health. The good news is that she said that it seems like my hair is healthy, growing and doing well. The bad news? She said that my hair is too soft, fine and delicate for braids. :nono:

:perplexedShe said that I could take a chance and get the braids but that she wouldn't add too much hair to each piece. But then she said that she couldn't be held responsible if I experience breakage or damage. :sad:The braids would put too much stress on my hair, she said, especially since it is longer and past my shoulders. So after some thought, I decided not to get the braids afterall.

She told me that the best thing for me right now is to make sure that I continue to take care of my hair and treat it well since it's getting longer.

At first, I felt that she just didn't want to do my hair, but then I remembered what others here have said about their experiences, particularly the fine-haired ladies. So I didn't get the braids and probably won't.

However, my hair is growing very fast. Here I am barely 5 weeks post-relaxer and my NG is becoming more difficult, particularly at the base and crown. The front and edges are still fine and relaxed, but the other areas are out of control. I have at least 1" going on up there...

WOW, it is great that she cared about your hair health and ultimate goal to keep growing longer. Most stylist would have taken your money and not worried about you losing your hair afterwards.

p.s. Why don't you offer to sell the hair to her or her next customer that need human hair?

SelfStyled

Finally an ethical stylist! I am sure that your edges will thank you. It sounds like you are making great progress and it just wouldn't be worth the potential setback. You probably are tired like the rest of us of doing your hair everyday and just wanted the break that braids could give from daily styling. I see people here that have braids here, I heart kinky twists, I so would like to rock those, but my fine strands would be revolting all over my head. Chin up, you're making progress at least.

C

chica_canella

Finally an ethical stylist! I am sure that your edges will thank you. It sounds like you are making great progress and it just wouldn't be worth the potential setback. You probably are tired like the rest of us of doing your hair everyday and just wanted the break that braids could give from daily styling. I see people here that have braids here, I heart kinky twists, I so would like to rock those, but my fine strands would be revolting all over my head. Chin up, you're making progress at least.

I can't wear kinky twists and didn't listen to a friend who told me my hair would come out. She told me the hair was to abrasive and would take your hair out. Cause they do the twisties w/ the Bob Marley hair.

But back to Serenity's post: As you know I have mainly fine 3c hair but my braids are like pencil-sized. I didn't have any problems but it is best to do what you think is right for your hair.:yep:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL

Sell the hair on ebay or in the product exchange board to get your money back... I'm a fine haired lady as well and I had a problem with braids taking my hair out back when I was relaxed. She probably did you a favor. Imagine how upset you would have been if you got them anyway and then lost hair afterwards.

I totally agree with Bmore.

My fine, relaxed hair can't handle braids either.

Found that out the hard way in 2002. My friend got kinky twists last week and I was soooo jealous. She has stronger, thicker hair.

CurliDiva

I can't wear kinky twists and didn't listen to a friend who told me my hair would come out. She told me the hair was to abrasive and would take your hair out. Cause they do the twisties w/ the Bob Marley hair.

But back to Serenity's post: As you know I have mainly fine 3c hair but my braids are like pencil-sized. I didn't have any problems but it is best to do what you think is right for your hair.:yep:

I always wonder about that hair used for twists - it seems rough and uneven to me but I've never worn tiwsts.

Cayenne0622

That was so great of her! The weird thing is that I have fine hair and I've had invisible braids a couple of times and more recently two-strand twists (with Marley hair) and I had NO problems. My hair retained a lot of length each time. I didn't get the braids done too tight and I washed, conditioned, and moisturized my hair like I normally would without the braids and my hair did fine. If your hair is thriving now, though, the best thing to do is keep doing what you are doing so you don't experience a set back.

Radianthealth

I totally agree with Bmore.

My fine, relaxed hair can't handle braids either.

Found that out the hard way in 2002. My friend got kinky twists last week and I was soooo jealous. She has stronger, thicker hair.

I also agree, I have fine relaxed hair and it does not do well in braids. I braided for 6 months and tried to do the C&G method and it only damaged my hair:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:. Not to mention what microbraids did to my edges.

I have found that my fine hair needs to be watched pampered and nurtured :)

Last edited:

HoneyDew

What kind of hair? I am interested in buying some new hair for my braids, so I may be able to take them off your hands.

I understand how you feel, though. Do you live near any LHCF'ers? You may want to get one of us to give you an opinion about it. I would say get a 2nd opinion but you know there are not many that will be honest enough to tell you.

If you hair is too fine for braidsm I am happy that she told you that so you would not lose all of your progress.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

That's a good idea. I may do that. Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate what she did and I thanked her for it. But initially I had my doubts. Yes, I am happy that she's one of the ethical ones and now I can save my hair!:drunk:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

Wow, I wish I could find a stylist like that. I feel ya though, I just spent $40 on hair this weekend and another $80 to get it done to take it out after 2 days. She made the cornrows so tight that I couldn't wash my face without being in pain, even now that I have taken it out and rocking a braid out, my scalp is still VERY tender to the touch.:wallbash:

OUCH!! I am extremely tender-headed as well. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know you must feel awful and it's a waste of good, hard-earned money as well. :kiss:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

What kind of hair? I am interested in buying some new hair for my braids, so I may be able to take them off your hands.

I understand how you feel, though. Do you live near any LHCF'ers? You may want to get one of us to give you an opinion about it. I would say get a 2nd opinion but you know there are not many that will be honest enough to tell you.

If you hair is too fine for braidsm I am happy that she told you that so you would not lose all of your progress.

As always, sweetheart, I thank you so much. I have human hair, Type #1 from Outre. It's some of the best hair around. I have two packs, each for $36.99. But I did return the hair and got store credit. So, they owe me two packs of human hair! If you need the hair, let me know. I'm not charging full price for it. I'd go and pick it up. There's no way in this world that I would spend $80 on haircare products...unless of course they are AVEDA!! :love:

shynessqueen

I guess that I didn't see it like that. She was being ethical and I was thinking that she was trying to find an excuse not to do my hair. I figured that although I'm relaxed, I'm actually almost 6 weeks. My crown has thick NG, but my edges don't. Maybe she looked at my fine edges and determined that it wouldn't be in my best interest to get the braids. That's what she said. I appreciate that she noticed that. She would have made upwards of about $200 and she did forego the money to do what was right and in my best interest.:yep:

She was right to tell you that. You would have lost your edges.

:spinning:

HoneyDew

As always, sweetheart, I thank you so much. I have human hair, Type #1 from Outre. It's some of the best hair around. I have two packs, each for $36.99. But I did return the hair and got store credit. So, they owe me two packs of human hair! If you need the hair, let me know. I'm not charging full price for it. I'd go and pick it up. There's no way in this world that I would spend $80 on haircare products...unless of course they are AVEDA!! :love:

Well, that's good that you returned it! Do they have any oils or anything? I know most BSS don't, but that would be good if you do any scalp massages or anything. But dang - that would be a lot of oil!! :spinning:

Girl, you will be getting plastic conditioning caps for life with that store credit!!

But, you have given me an idea for the kind of hair I am going to get. :yep:

glamazon386

Well, that's good that you returned it! Do they have any oils or anything? I know most BSS don't, but that would be good if you do any scalp massages or anything. But dang - that would be a lot of oil!! :spinning:

Girl, you will be getting plastic conditioning caps for life with that store credit!!

But, you have given me an idea for the kind of hair I am going to get. :yep:

Exactly. :lol-: I remember once I had a $40 credit from hair and had to run around the store picking up everything I could think of just to use it up. I ended up getting a bunch of stuff I didn't even need. And that was after I picked up a wig for $20. I rarely buy my products from that BSS. They don't always have what I need but they were the only ones that sold that particular hair I wanted.

hopeful

Thank your lucky stars. My daughter has very dense super fine hair, so it looks thick overall but the individual strands are fine and soft. Several years ago she had an awful experience with braids. It took about a year before her hair recovered from the damage. Her hair matts and tangles very easily on it's own but with braids it was just a mess.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

Exactly. :lol-: I remember once I had a $40 credit from hair and had to run around the store picking up everything I could think of just to use it up. I ended up getting a bunch of stuff I didn't even need. And that was after I picked up a wig for $20. I rarely buy my products from that BSS. They don't always have what I need but they were the only ones that sold that particular hair I wanted.

See, that's my problem. I only went to that particular BSS because my girl told me that the hair there was cheaper and higher quality. There's nothing else that I'd want from there. I have plastic caps that will last me for years to come!:lachen:This place doesn't sell Dominican hair products, and I'm all oiled out!:lachen:I guess I could buy a couple of wigs...:spinning:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

Thank your lucky stars. My daughter has very dense super fine hair, so it looks thick overall but the individual strands are fine and soft. Several years ago she had an awful experience with braids. It took about a year before her hair recovered from the damage. Her hair matts and tangles very easily on it's own but with braids it was just a mess.

I am so sorry that this happened to your Little One.:nono: It does sound like she and I have similar hair types. My hair looks dense but the strands are fine. And it can be very difficult to detangle especially when wet. Further, even once detangled, it can tangle right back up, which I hate. The softer hair strands seem to wrap around each other, causing matting as well. Someone once told me that should I ever decide to wear locks, my hair would be the prime candidate. ;)

Missi

this same is w/ me: but I wish someone would have told me that my hair is too fine for braids: that would have saved the embarassing stories of my braids / ponytails slippin out my hair:grin:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL

See, that's my problem. I only went to that particular BSS because my girl told me that the hair there was cheaper and higher quality. There's nothing else that I'd want from there. I have plastic caps that will last me for years to come!:lachen:This place doesn't sell Dominican hair products, and I'm all oiled out!:lachen:I guess I could buy a couple of wigs...:spinning:

What about combs, hair accessories, rollers, heat appliances, plus two or three extra containers of ORS lye? ;) Most bss also carry vaseline, lotion, toothpaste, etc.

I'm cheap with my money, but I can help you spend yours in a minute. :grin:

Soliel185

Did she mean it's too fine to do braids with extensions? I used to wear my hair in braids but I've never used extensions. I've been considering it lately though b/c my hair is relaxed now and I don't think the ends would hold well.