I didn't plan for this (my first stretch)

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
So after going 12 weeks post I'm letting my mom relax my hair today. 5 Days ago I did my protein treatment and made sure my ng was moisturized. Today I'm here combing out my hair in sections and it is impossible to prevent a little breakage. Is this normal?
Am I supposed to comb out each inch right before I dab relaxer on it? Or do I comb everything first to get the ng under better control? What is the technique?
Help! Tia.

I would detangle (comb out) everything first.

Because if you do it the other way (in sections), then you'll have relaxer on some parts of your hair, while you're trying to comb out others, and you'll risk over processing in the areas where the relaxer has already been sitting. HTH :)

True. for some reason I feel confused. I usually just let my mom do it, but I don't watch every detail of the process.

I'm concerned because my hair is sorta dry while i'm detangling and I don't think its safe to put anything on it to help.

If your hair is dry I wouldn't relax now.

Deep condition your hair. Keep it well moisturized for a week and then relax.

Also make sure to comb out ALL your hair before applying your relaxer.

HTH

Do you mean normal dryness as in you haven't moisturized it in a while or dry as in dry/brittle/breakage/etc? Whenever I stretch my hair too long my hair gets a little dry too.

You can put a good detangling conditioner on the parts of your hair that you're not relaxing to help with the detangling process. Use a wide tooth comb. And comb it out in small sections starting from ends to root.

My hair is feeling "on the dry side" it's not completely devoid of moisture. Plus my hair is naturally course so it feels that way mostly all of the time.
Thanks for the pointers.

Back