When stretching, when do you decide "enough is enough"

HoneyDew

Hey ladies. I am currently 7 weeks post relaxer.

First, of all I must say that I have NEVER been able to get to 7 weeks without wanting to get a relaxer. Most of it had been my impatience with my NG and not knowing how to deal with it.

I don't know what happened, but all the sudden I am at peace with what needs to be done to maintain my NG and style (well I did stop using topical growth aids, too :))

Anyway, I was going to relax next weekend when I am 8 weeks post, but I really think I will be able to go a few more weeks after that.

I wear my hair down and right now, I am getting no breakage/shedding, my hair is still easy to style and finger comb, as needed and all is well. I am actually loving the volume my NG is giving me.

What I want to know is, when you guys stretch, what factors make you say - "Okay - I MUST absolutely relax now.

Last edited:
The last time for me it was breakage
this time since the breakage has stopped it will be when i'm tried of dealing with it

My protective style is 2 strand twists with my own hair that i flex rod to get it curly

i take them out every 2 weeks to retwist

I try to stretch as long as possible, but when my hair sheds and breaks like the devil no matter what I do, I know it's time.
I would rather get a relaxer done than have my hair thin out stretching...I made that mistake once, and I'll never do that again. :mad:

WomanlyCharm said:
I try to stretch as long as possible, but when my hair sheds and breaks like the devil no matter what I do, I know it's time.
I would rather get a relaxer done than have my hair thin out stretching...I made that mistake once, and I'll never do that again. :mad:

Same here, as soon as the hair starts going bad, if dc and good care is not enough then is time to relax IMO

When I am stretching I know enough is enough when my hair starts to shed and break more than it normally would. My first stretch was for 15 weeks and it went well but I underprocessed my hair and had to relax at 8 weeks post (which I underprocessed my hair again:look:) so I guess I am transitioning to texlaxed (which I love) and I now can only go to about 8-10 weeks.

For me when my hair starts tangling like mad and breaking those are important factors. Also, if my new growth is so great that it would make me dependent on heat styling, I rather relax and forgo using heat on a regular basis.

Tangles, tangles and shedding..did I mention tangles..This is how I know it's time to relax..Before my last relaxer I was really trying to stretch for 12 weeks..I barely made it to 10 and had to give in..I really believe the msm & amino acids(protein) are contributing greatly to my increased new growth

Jas123 said:
Tangles, tangles and shedding..did I mention tangles..This is how I know it's time to relax..Before my last relaxer I was really trying to stretch for 12 weeks..I barely made it to 10 and had to give in..I really believe the msm & amino acids(protein) are contributing greatly to my increased new growth

I think 10 is great, though. If I reach 10 weeks, it will be a milestone for me. Actually, right now, even 8 weeks will be a milestone for me.

la flaca said:
Same here, as soon as the hair starts going bad, if dc and good care is not enough then is time to relax IMO

ITA!! When I start getting breakage and shedding and no conditioning treatment I try gets rid of it then it is time to relax.

I decide enough is enough when I continue to get breakage after treatments. I made it to 5 months on my 6 month relaxer stretch.:D

My hair never really breaks from stretching. I know it's time when I start having hair anorexia really bad. :yep:

Hmmm...for me, there's no such time. The key was finding the right products for various stages of the stretch. My 2 weeks post texlaxed hair and my 8 months post texlaxed hair need different things.

Long-term transitioners are proof that mega stretches can be done if you have the proper products and techniques.

sareca said:
My hair never really breaks from stretching. I know it's time when I start having hair anorexia really bad. :yep:

I think that is what will happen to me. :lol: I am getting anxious to see my progress! I mean, I am getting no breakage or having any problem. I think I have found those products that work for my hair at this point (You are so right Divine Inspiration)

I am just so ready to see how much longer my hair has gotten.

When my hair starts fighting the comb its time. It can be weird. I've gone 20 weeks before, but also I've had to relax at 12.

Though I'm still only relax 3-4 times a year. If my summer growth cycle wasn't so wild and wooly, I may be able to cut it to three times a year.

One can hope. I'm hoping to make it to End of june/early july this time around.

-A

I think the last 2 times I stretched (12 weeks), I did it to prove to myself that I could do it. I probably didn't really "need" to do the touch-ups at that time; I don't recall having any serious breakage issues. Now, since I've gotten a better handle on my hair care regimen, I'm just going to go for as long as I can. I'm at 9 weeks today. I may try to stretch until sometime in July. I'll just try to do regular protein treatments and listen to my hair's needs.

Arcadian said:
When my hair starts fighting the comb its time. It can be weird. I've gone 20 weeks before, but also I've had to relax at 12.

Though I'm still only relax 3-4 times a year. If my summer growth cycle wasn't so wild and wooly, I may be able to cut it to three times a year.

One can hope. I'm hoping to make it to End of june/early july this time around.

-A

Girl, I cannot even use the comb right now! I gently part section with it so I can roll it, but even that is tricky. I am using a comb that really makes it easier because of the teeth (below) My NG is just untouchable right now. I am thinking of adding a week each time until I get as far as I can.

65871.jpg

preciousjewel76 said:
I think the last 2 times I stretched (12 weeks), I did it to prove to myself that I could do it. I probably didn't really "need" to do the touch-ups at that time; I don't recall having any serious breakage issues. Now, since I've gotten a better handle on my hair care regimen, I'm just going to go for as long as I can. I'm at 9 weeks today. I may try to stretch until sometime in July. I'll just try to do regular protein treatments and listen to my hair's needs.

I've heard of others using protein to help with stretches. How do you think that helps, PJ76? I mean, I understand that is strengthens your hair in general, but do you find that the protein helps because of possible breakage while stretching. I have actually felt the need to NOT so protein treatments right now because I am afraid of dryness. :perplexed I can tell that is my hair was dry right now, things would be BAD.

its easy washing my hair into a pony tail and baggying....but when it comes to straightening my hair so I can update my fotki...if my comb snags on my new growth too hard...its time to relax....it gets that way around 13 weeks.

I stretched for the 1st time w/out braids for 9 wks. I had sooo much NG my daughter was parting my hair to put some BT on it, she was like Mommy I cant see your scalp I said "Ok" time for a perm.:lachen:I think the longest I've went was 12 wks that was w/ braids! I have to get used to this I'm soooo used to getting my hair done every week. I've been trying to do it myself to do the baggying, etc. so I'm wearing more ponytails.

I'm at 24 weeks right now (6 months) and I think it's time. I'm noticing shedding, but like DI said it could be I need to revamp my products. I just don't have the time that I did before. Plus the process is getting longer. I'm proud that I made it this far along, it really wasn't my intention back in november. I'm upset that I can't make it to June, but I'll be happy when it's done. Now my fear is relaxing it, making sure it's texlax properly and not overprocessed.

I relaxed when I felt like I couldn't take it anymore. Once my hair became hard to get through. Each time the amount of weeks got longer though.

Jas123 said:

Here, Here ! :cheers: When the TANGLES get out of hand and the BREAKAGE shows me who's being stretched, its time to perm.

What most ppl dont understand is, you gotta do whats best for YOUR hair. If you want to stretch for 3 mos but your hair breaks like crazy, you just defeated your purpose and thinned and broke out your hair.

I'd advise when wanting to stretch, go an extra 2 - 3 weeks ONLY . All the while trying the tricks that ppl on here have said that works. That way, you're not going SO long that the breakage is to bad, AND you're also finding out what works and doesnt work for YOUR hair during stretching.

With the tangled mess that I just finished tackling, I was just thinking ENOUGH! But I'm only 10.5 wks today. I'm pushing to go at at least 12 wks like the last time. I think I went wrong today when I first rinsed out my colorshine rinse holding my head over the side of the tub, which I always do. But instead of deep cond under the dryer like I normally do, I just left it on the hair for a few minutes then hopped in the shower to rinse. OOOOH what a tangled mess. I added a different cond and it helped some, but it seemed today none of my power house cond was doing the job. I finally gave up and just added my leave ins and slowly detangled and did my rollerset. I do know that my hair is longer and thicker this time around and it seemed that I've gotten a growth spurt latley. I hoping that I can add one wk and make it to 13 wks. I examined the hair that I lost and it was shedded and broken. I think I'll do my aphogee next Sat a little earlier than normal. But I will say that so far I do lose any hair between washes because of my finger combing. I might need a stretch buddy for the next 3 wks. Somebody, anybody. Today was rough!

janeemat said:
With the tangled mess that I just finished tackling, I was just thinking ENOUGH! But I'm only 10.5 wks today. I'm pushing to go at at least 12 wks like the last time. I think I went wrong today when I first rinsed out my colorshine rinse holding my head over the side of the tub, which I always do. But instead of deep cond under the dryer like I normally do, I just left it on the hair for a few minutes then hopped in the shower to rinse. OOOOH what a tangled mess. I added a different cond and it helped some, but it seemed today none of my power house cond was doing the job. I finally gave up and just added my leave ins and slowly detangled and did my rollerset. I do know that my hair is longer and thicker this time around and it seemed that I've gotten a growth spurt latley. I hoping that I can add one wk and make it to 13 wks. I examined the hair that I lost and it was shedded and broken. I think I'll do my aphogee next Sat a little earlier than normal. But I will say that so far I do lose any hair between washes because of my finger combing. I might need a stretch buddy for the next 3 wks. Somebody, anybody. Today was rough!

Girl be careful. It takes a looooong time to grow a long strand. You dont want to break them.

Its a hassel, but I ALWAYS go under the shower. My hair doesnt tangle nearly as much. And you know tangling = more breakage. And dont forget, when you do the aphogee, espeically if its the hard kind, you'd better follow up with VERY VERY detangling moisterizing conditioners. I normally do 2 after the hard aphogee.

thicknlong said:
Girl be careful. It takes a looooong time to grow a long strand. You dont want to break them.

Its a hassel, but I ALWAYS go under the shower. My hair doesnt tangle nearly as much. And you know tangling = more breakage. And dont forget, when you do the aphogee, espeically if its the hard kind, you'd better follow up with VERY VERY detangling moisterizing conditioners. I normally do 2 after the hard aphogee.

My next wash is Wed and believe me, I'm going to be on top of this, carefully choosing and noting what products I use. Whatever works Wed is what I'm going to finish this stretch off with. Like DI quoted, I'm going to have to find what really works for me at different wks. I also realized that for my hair, deep cond with heat is very important. I just combed entirely too much today trying to get those tangles out.

This is the same thing I was think earlier, I know 16 wks feels like a breeze and even going 5 months was okay but I can't seem to make it to 6 months. I think when my shed hair can't fall or be combed out normally then it's time to call it quits for me. That shed hair wrapping around the length of your hair is nooooo joke and I ain't got time to be loosing no length or thickness over no extra stretch.

So I think I can only go 5 months the most or 21 wks. As long as your hair is doing well and your not having any problems HoneyDew I think your fine. you may just make it to 12 wks or atleast 10 and I know that is a something for ya. Maybe it's something new in that regimen, what have you been doing lately that you don't normally do if anything?

I agree with most of everything here....it just depends I can do 12 but I prefer 10 week stretchs b/c right around that time it gets unbearable and I have to wash more frequently and the detangling in the shower takes so long...and I get impatient.

Back