I feel silly asking but.....

alexstin

Is it okay to airdry just prior to relaxing??? I'm due to get a relaxer in 2 days. I airdried yesterday. Will the manipulation from getting a relaxer cause too much breakage or shedding since I airdried? Should I rinse my hair tonight and set it on rollers???

TIA!

You really shouldn't wash your hair or wet it at all 3-4 days before getting a relaxer.
But in general air drying should be fine as long as you can get a comb through it, I personally blow dry my hair on my last wash before getting relaxed just so the relaxer can be worked through.

Your question is not stupid at all. If we don't know we just don't know. But like seeminglysweet said airdrying shouldn't be a problem.

If you're going to the salon for a touch-up, I reccomend gently detangling first before you get there. Also bring a big bad boy wide tooth comb with you in case anyone thinks about going near your new growth with a rat tail comb. :naughty:

I had too many bad experiences with my airdried 12 weeks post new growth and heifers that tore through it like a :censored:

Even with my wide tooth comb in tow, they were still too rough. That was the last straw that drove me to self-relaxing. :ohwell:

seeminglysweet said:
You really shouldn't wash your hair or wet it at all 3-4 days before getting a relaxer.
But in general air drying should be fine as long as you can get a comb through it, I personally blow dry my hair on my last wash before getting relaxed just so the relaxer can be worked through.

Ditto, I airdried once and tried to relax and it was a nightmare, because it was very hard to comb. But if your hair is still "comb-able" then you should be fine.

ITA about the combing.
Personally I prefer to straighten and detangle it before a touchup becaus it shows better the demarcation line and makes combing and parting easier.
HTH

I learned the hard way that I need to straighten before a relaxer. But if you can easily comb and part, then airdrying is def. the healthier choice.

Back