I Finally Know Why My Mom Really Relaxed My Hair

bkprincesa

Initially when I told my family I was transitioning to natural, I got some very ignorant and negative reactions from them. They made fun of my hair. I got many strange looks. Like many of you ladies, I can't count the times my mother strongly urged me to get a relaxer. At one point she told me I might as well get dreads if I'm going natural (which, we all know isn't the only natural style that exists). My father warned me that he wouldn't be happy if the next time I came home, I had a mini-fro.

Despite the lack of support, I continued on with my transition. Here we are four months later and I'm in my 10th month of transitioning! I learned more about natural hair care in the past 10 months than I ever did in my entire life. Just as I knew a few years ago after my father told me I had curly hair as a baby and toddler, I discovered my natural 3c/4a texture for myself this year. I'm happy and in love with my hair, but deep down it still bothers me that my mother gave up on it and relaxed it when I was 5. She never really explained in detail why she did it, and when I would ask her WHY, she always got upset.

So after the argument I had with my mother about how the hair of biracial children isn't naturally "bad," I asked her a few questions that I feel uncovered the mystery of why she forced me to be relaxed at such a young age.

It started after she stated that she would consider my brother a "poor parent" if his future biracial children's hair wasn't properly cared for by him or his wife, due to lack of knowledge on how to care for it. I reminded her that she had relaxed my hair when I was 5 because she herself couldn't care for it in its natural state.

She argued that she took care of my hair just fine after she relaxed it. This was true. I can't remember a time when my hair wasn't shorter than arm pit length when I was younger and I WAS known as the black girl with the long hair in elementary school. I give my mom THAT. But, I explained to her that she took good care of the CHEMICALLY ALTERED version of my hair. The reason she had relaxed my hair in the first place was because she had been frustrated and didn't know what to do with it anymore. Like many of the mothers of the ladies on this forum, she took the easy route.

Well, she sure didn't like being told that lol. She finally cracked and told me that my hair had "gone through stages" from the time I was born up until the time she decided to relax it. Apparently I was born with wavy-ish hair. By the time I was a toddler it was curly. Finally, she said by the time I was four going on five it had lost its curl because it had become a dry mess.

Well gee mom, "why was it a dry mess? Why didn't you moisturize it?!":wallbash: She argued that she did moisturize it. "WITH WHAT?" I demanded. She had the nerve to tell me that she used that Just For Me detangler spray to moisturize it. WHAT?! That's not moisturizing! I couldn't even begin to imagine how many forms of alcohol were used in that spray. And that was the only thing she put in my hair? No wonder it was dry!

I asked some smaller questions like whether she had used a wide tooth comb to detangle or not. She ignored me and if I know my mother at all I know that was her way of saying "no."

Here's the icing on the cake: I asked her how often she had washed my hair prior to relaxing it for the first time. I was just curious. Her answer? Every two weeks, whenever she washed her own. Can you imagine? Nothing being used on natural 3c/4a hair except shampoo (which I'm sure was loaded with drying sulfates), conditioner and alcohol-based detangler spray. For YEARS. No wonder my hair had turned into a dry mess. :nono:

Still, even tough it was really dry I doubt that would completely change my curl pattern. Perhaps it appeared that my curls went away because they had been deprived of moisture for so long. I mean, after all she only washed every two weeks with SHAMPOO followed by the alcohol-based spray and didn't moisturize my hair in between washes...Does it make sense that my hair would have become extremely dry after years of this routine? Wouldn't it have been hard to bring my curls back to life without an extremely moisturizing conditioner/treatment (which my mom had NO idea about back then)?

Now that I know what her 'regimen' was for me back then, it makes more sense why she considered my hair too unmanageable to keep it natural. Granted, she COULD HAVE done more to keep it moisturize but I know at the time there was a lack of knowledge in the black community on how to care for natural hair properly and it was easier to just relax it. Having this information makes me feel like a spirit who was trapped here because of "unfinished business." I feel like my spirit can rest now that I know why my mom relaxed and I know that no, I wasn't BORN with "nappy, unmanageable" hair, it BECAME that way because my mother didn't really know what she was doing.

~~HoneyComb~~

I'd give your mom a break :yep: seriously.

I'm sure she did the best she could with the knowledge she had about hair. Fortunately we have so many different websites and books to refer to, to get our hair as healthy as we want it. Those options weren't always around--we definitely have an advantage.

My mom was clueless about my hair, but I know she did the best she could with my hair texture at the time.

I thrilled now that I can teach my mom how to take care of her own hair. She would hot curl her 2-something hair almost everyday. Because I've helped her, she now never uses heat on her hair, and it looks better than ever :).

mscocoface

I don't know how old you are but even 5 years ago there were not a lot of product choices.

If she wasn't taught how would she have known? Some people don't even know there are better options. Who would she have thought to ask?

ITA with HC. You now have the opportunity to educate her. If she doesn't listen then you know the motto right? You can show her better than you can tell her. :yep:

Charge it to her head and not her heart. Can't change the past but you can have a positive influence on the future.

I don't know if your brother has a biracial child or you were just talking when or if he ever has one either way, you can be there to teach him and his wife or mother of the child when the time comes. :yep:

bkprincesa

Honey Comb:
I should really be careful with the way I word things lol. I'm not really angry with my mom, but growing up it was painful enduring her negative attitude towards my hair. She had a looser texture than I did (in the 3's), and she had a way of making me feel like my hair was unattractive and impossible to manage even WITH a relaxer at times.

When I found out that my hair had gone from curly to non-curly (but not straight not wavy, just a HAM), and then found out WHY that happened (because of her practices), I felt at peace. My low self-esteem about my hair went away. That was all I was trying to convey in that super long message. Lol.

bkprincesa

I'm 21 coco. And you're right I was a little hard on her...I guess I was just bitter.

I don't know how old you are but even 5 years ago there were not a lot of product choices.

If she wasn't taught how would she have known? Some people don't even know there are better options. Who would she have thought to ask?

ITA with HC. You now have the opportunity to educate her. If she doesn't listen then you know the motto right? You can show her better than you can tell her. :yep:

Charge it to her head and not her heart. Can't change the past but you can have a positive influence on the future.

I don't know if your brother has a biracial child or you were just talking when or if he ever has one either way, you can be there to teach him and his wife or mother of the child when the time comes. :yep:

Zaz

Before LHCF, how aware were you of things such as sulfates, drying alcohols, moisture/protein balance...? Your mom did as best she could with the knowledge that she had. It's not as if she maintained her glorious afro and let your hair fall by the wayside, she admits to washing her hair every time she washed hers. That's all she knew. Just as parents back in the day thought nothing of giving lead based toys to their kids to play with, they didn't know any better. And when you know better, you do better. I say just take care of your hair as best you know how and show her how great your natural hair can be and cut her a lil slack.
eta I see people already echoed my sentiment as I was typing, lol.

Last edited:

sharifeh

ITA with all the other chicks. Give your mom a break.
at least you got to the bottom of it...

RocStar

ITA with all the other chicks. Give your mom a break.
at least you got to the bottom of it...

What she said...:yep::yep:

I know this is a hair care forum and hair is really important to many of us, but I do think that sometimes we forget that it is JUST hair. Hug your mom, hug your hair and keeping smiling.

imaccami

I think you should give your mom a break. She did the best she could and her best had you known as the black girl with the long hair. Not too shabby and better than what most moms were able to do.

I don't believe that she permanently changed your texture by not moisturizing your natural hair. Nearly every black baby has curly soft hair when they're born, I did. As a toddler my hair was still curly and soft, as I got older it became like it is now, not a curl in sight. Even if your mother had moisturized your hair perfectly, your texture probably would have changed.

BlkOnyx488

At least you had APL hair relaxed.
My mother never cared for my hair relaxed or natural. There was no shampoo, I washed my hair with Ivory soap.

I think you should ease up on your mother, relaxed or natural you HAD HAIR

I was ear length until til I got a curly kit in middle school

Lola Laughs

Don't beat Mom up--she meant well. As a child/teen I used to resent my mom for not letting me relax my hair. I just thought she couldn't relate to hair that "needed" a relaxer. Then I resented her for finally breaking down and letting me relax, and the havoc it wreaked.
Like most moms, you can only do the best with what you have and what you know at the time.

*CherryPie*

This is ridiculous!!

Did your mom take good care of you? That should be good enough.

Badgering her over what she knew about haircare and wide tooth combs and how she cared for your hair when you were a child is a terrible thing to do to your mom.

They didn't have the healthy hair products that we have today, or the knowledge of how to properly care for hair that we now have. Most of us are just finding out about this stuff.

You should really give your mom a hug and appologize.

bkprincesa

I didn't mean that the texture became permanently altered from her not moisturizing it properly in the years before she relaxed it...

I was wondering if it was possible that it appeared I didn't have a curl pattern due to the severe dryness and I was wondering if, in anyone's opinion, a good moisture treatment would have been the solution.

I know you mentioned you don't have a curl in sight now, but I do. About 4-5 inches worth lol. 3c/4a, all S-shaped. That's what makes me wonder if my curl pattern would have been more evident if she would have moisturized it properly.

I think you should give your mom a break. She did the best she could and her best had you known as the black girl with the long hair. Not too shabby and better than what most moms were able to do.

I don't believe that she permanently changed your texture by not moisturizing your natural hair. Nearly every black baby has curly soft hair when they're born, I did. As a toddler my hair was still curly and soft, as I got older it became like it is now, not a curl in sight. Even if your mother had moisturized your hair perfectly, your texture probably would have changed.

30something

I have no idea when you were born, but if you are around my age.. I highly doubt there was even much good products for our hair back then. Wasn't even until recently we became all ingredients conscious.

You had APL hair, she HAD to be doing something right.

bkprincesa

I wouldn't really call it badgering her...Lol. You would have had to be there to understand. Like I mentioned in a response to someone else's post on this thread, I was bitter with my mom for altering my hair without trying. I admitted that, and thus I thought in doing so I was admitting I was wrong.

This is ridiculous!!

Did your mom take good care of you? That should be good enough.

Badgering her over what she knew about haircare and wide tooth combs and how she cared for your hair when you were a child is a terrible thing to do to your mom.

They didn't have the healthy hair products that we have today, or the knowledge of how to properly care for hair that we now have. Most of us are just finding out about this stuff.

You should really give your mom a hug and appologize.

Almaz

Give mom a break at you had APL hair which many people did not have. She did what she thought was right at the time but NOW that you have this information just pass it along to your future SIL and be done with it.

caribeandiva

Human being
I'd give your mom a break :yep: seriously.

I'm sure she did the best she could with the knowledge she had about hair. Fortunately we have so many different websites and books to refer to, to get our hair as healthy as we want it. Those options weren't always around--we definitely have an advantage.

My mom was clueless about my hair, but I know she did the best she could with my hair texture at the time...
:yep: same thing with my mom. She had no way of knowing better. Of course I taught her to take great care of her hair now.

imaccami

I didn't mean that the texture became permanently altered from her not moisturizing it properly in the years before she relaxed it...

I was wondering if it was possible that it appeared I didn't have a curl pattern due to the severe dryness and I was wondering if, in anyone's opinion, a good moisture treatment would have been the solution.

I know you mentioned you don't have a curl in sight now, but I do. About 4-5 inches worth lol. 3c/4a, all S-shaped. That's what makes me wonder if my curl pattern would have been more evident if she would have moisturized it properly.

Oh I see. I suppose it's possible that your hair being dry could've temporarily prevented your hair from being curly.

LadyRaider

Before I found the "hair communities" on the internet, my hair would get very dry, brittle and unmanageable. I thought this meant I "needed" a relaxer. For whatever reason, when you first get that relaxer, it seems it fixes the problem. It's just that it also contributes to the dryness and sell-perpetuates that "need."

Anyway... I know what your mom was dealing with. And all we had back then was afro sheen to "moisturize" with.

melissa-bee

I think your mum did the best she could. You learnt most of this info from this site and other internet sources, these sites weren't around back in the days. She attempted to moisturise your hair, but unfortunatly she was uneducated about the ingredients like many other people are to this day. I wash my hair once every 2 weeks at the moment there is nothing wrong with that. The only thing we can learn from this is to take care of our own hair and do what we know's best for our daughters' hair.

Last edited:

a_shoe_6307

I'm sorry (and I rarely don't post on stuff like this) but there is no reason to give a child a relaxer. I think women use that as an easy way out when they get frustrated with their child's hair (I mean this not offend anyone, it's just my opinion). Though she may need to pull back some on her mother, I don't feel she is totally wrong either. My mother took care of my hair and I never had a relaxer until I was an adult and did it on my own. And I am by no means young; I was born back when there was little out there for black hair. However, my mother made a decision to learn how to manage my hair and find the best products available at the time to use on my hair. I had MBL hair until I was a senior in high school (I started cutting on it freshman year in college) because of the hard work and patience she put into my hair. And believe me I am sure there were times when she did not want to deal with all my thick curly/wavy hair, but she did and I respect her and I am thankful for that because all of my friends growing up had relaxers and very little hair because of it all because someone "didn't know any better".

Now I will exit the thread...

equestrian

I think your being too hard on your mom. I agree with previous posters. How much did we know before tapping into good resourced on hair care.
pestering her was unnessecary

" Well gee mom, "why was it a dry mess? Why didn't you moisturize it?!" She argued that she did moisturize it. "WITH WHAT?" I demanded. She had the nerve to tell me that she used that Just For Me detangler spray to moisturize it. WHAT?! That's not moisturizing! I couldn't even begin to imagine how many forms of alcohol were used in that spray. And that was the only thing she put in my hair? No wonder it was dry! "

mmkay cool down a bit. this feels like an attack.

Last edited:

bkprincesa

Thank you so much for your post...I was beginning to think that no one out there would understand the frustration and hurt that by the many reasons behind my history of having relaxed hair. I really appreciate your feedback.

I'm sorry (and I rarely don't post on stuff like this) but there is no reason to give a child a relaxer. I think women use that as an easy way out when they get frustrated with their child's hair (I mean this not offend anyone, it's just my opinion). Though she may need to pull back some on her mother, I don't feel she is totally wrong either. My mother took care of my hair and I never had a relaxer until I was an adult and did it on my own. And I am by no means young; I was born back when there was little out there for black hair. However, my mother made a decision to learn how to manage my hair and find the best products available at the time to use on my hair. I had MBL hair until I was a senior in high school (I started cutting on it freshman year in college) because of the hard work and patience she put into my hair. And believe me I am sure there were times when she did not want to deal with all my thick curly/wavy hair, but she did and I respect her and I am thankful for that because all of my friends growing up had relaxers and very little hair because of it all because someone "didn't know any better".

Now I will exit the thread...

beans4reezy

If she knew how to take better care of your natural hair, she would have done betteer. It sounds as if she took great care of your relaxed hair; a majority of other women who were relaxed early in life cannot say the same for their own mothers.

my1goodnerve

Just think, soon enough you'll be the family expert on natural hair care. They will have forgotten all of the negative things that they said about your choices and find all kinds of excuses to touch and drool over your hair. And either you will have to let the past go or be in a state of constant resentment. I vote for letting the past go, because your brother and his new wife will need your expertise when the babies come. The first time one of his kids' hair does not meet your mom's approval, she is going to point out that all they need to do is to come to you for help.

bkprincesa

It sounds like an attack because I can't believe she tries to argue with me about what I'm doing with my hair now being inappropriate versus what she did with my hair then.

I think your being too hard on your mom. I agree with previous posters. How much did we know before tapping into good resourced on hair care.
pestering her was unnessecary

" Well gee mom, "why was it a dry mess? Why didn't you moisturize it?!" She argued that she did moisturize it. "WITH WHAT?" I demanded. She had the nerve to tell me that she used that Just For Me detangler spray to moisturize it. WHAT?! That's not moisturizing! I couldn't even begin to imagine how many forms of alcohol were used in that spray. And that was the only thing she put in my hair? No wonder it was dry! "

mmkay cool down a bit. this feels like an attack.

Vashti

It sounds like an attack because I can't believe she tries to argue with me about what I'm doing with my hair now being inappropriate versus what she did with my hair then.

Although my mom took good care of my natural hair when I was little I can see why you would be upset, especially if your natural hair is becoming an ongoing issue with your parents today. Back then maybe your mother didn't know better but today if she is still carrying on about your hair you need to tell her (tactfully) to mind her own business. When you were a little girl you had no choice in the matter but these days you have the right to wear your hair any way you please.

Don't hold on to past resentments but don't let them bully you about your hair either. Let them know firmly that this is how you will be wearing your hair from now on and that it's not up for discussion and leave it at that. Ignore ignorant comments about your hair and keep on taking care of it. SIL will need your help when your nieces/nephews arrive on the scene. :)

CrissieD

I don't agree with most of you guys. I think putting caustic chemicals on a child's head is abuse and it didn't take any hair forums or special information for me to know that.

Actually, it doesn't look like the Just For Me detangler has alcohol at all :look:

But I understand OP, I had a bit of resentment too looking back too. The ONLY thing that was used in my hair was Johnson and Johnson Detangler and it barely worked. Conditioner would have been great but I don't expect that my parents would have been realized that My mom wanted to braid my hair in a thick braid. My dad kept my hair in low ponytails ONLY. I went through elementary school and most of middle school with a low ponytail.

Last edited:

*CherryPie*

I don't agree with most of you guys. I think putting caustic chemicals on a child's head is abuse and it didn't take any hair forums or special information for me to know that.

Abuse?

Now I've heard it all.:perplexed

So just relaxing your child's hair makes you an abusive parent? You can be a GREAT mother, but if you relax your child's hair you automatically becomes an abusive parent?

I can see it now......

*Police knocks at the door and mother opens door *

Police: "Mam, You're under arrest. You have to come down to the station. You're being charged with child abuse. You relaxed your child's hair". :lachen:

Man! I need to go to bed.:yawn: