I finally relaxed after a 22 week stretch...

glamazon386

and my hair looks pretty thin and life less. It looks better today than it did when I first got it done yesterday though. For some reason my hair always looks better a few days later. But anyway, my ends are kind of raggedy though. I snipped some of them bc they were annoying me and the Dom salon was packed yesterday so I was trying to get out of there. I might go back in a week or two for a trim. If I knew they were going to be open today, I wouldn't have wasted my time in there yesterday. The first one I went to was closed and then by the time I got to the other one it was PACKED. I got there at 9:30 didn't get home until after 4 yesterday. My head didn't even get touched until 1. I didn't even let them blow me out I just had them wrap it once I took my rollers out. My hair's thin and dried prtety straight so it was alright. If I had waited I would've been there at least another hour. I got a deep condition after my relaxer but I don't think it did the job. My ends feel a little brittle. I noticed that it's shedding a bit too. My hair doesn't usually shed but I noticed that it was before I took the weave out around the edges in the back. I'm excited about the growth I got, so I don't really want a cut which was what my mother recommended. I'm pretty close to my goal now. It's touching my shoulders but I'd like it a little longer. I'm hoping the trim will suffice. My ends look a lot better since I clipped the frays but what would you ladies recommend as a treatment? I bought an ORS pack yesterday, which are hard to find around here. None of the BSS's have them. I just happened to be in Walgreens and saw it so I picked one up bc it was like $1.29. Will that work? Any other suggestions? Sorry if this post seems a bit scatterbrained. TIA...

After a long stretch, my hair always seems rather thin to me too. I figure it's because my hair was so thick and full, and then it's practically bone straight a few hours later. If your ends aren't breaking, I wouldn't trim. But...if they are breaking or you would feel better with neater, less scraggly ends, you could go in for a small trim. But emphasize a SMALL trim, b/c some stylist will "trim" your hair 2, 3 inches. As far as your shedding issues--I would recommend a protein treatment followed by some serious deep conditioning and moisture. I usually use ApHogee Damaged Hair Treatment but that might be too harsh for you since you said your ends seem a little brittle. In the mean time, I would recommend babying your ends--keeping them moisturized and manipulating them as little as possible.

Wow! How'd you do a 22-week stretch? So far, I only do 12-week stretches. Can you give me some pointers?

Yes, your hair looks thin now cuz you were used to seeing 22 weeks of your natural full texture. Maybe after the 1st washing after the relaxer, your hair'll look more full again...

:)

Sounds like the deep conditioner that they used didn't have enough/any protein. That ORS should cut it. It is a lot of protein in it.

If that doesn't work go for something stronger. Def. sounds like you need protein

bklynwildheart said:
Wow! How'd you do a 22-week stretch? So far, I only do 12-week stretches. Can you give me some pointers?

Yes, your hair looks thin now cuz you were used to seeing 22 weeks of your natural full texture. Maybe after the 1st washing after the relaxer, your hair'll look more full again...

:)

Thanks ladies! :kiss: Some kind of way I ended up posting this twice but ahh well. I'm gonna try the ORS this weekend when I wash and dc with the humectress. I've been in weaves for most of the 22 weeks though with a 1 or 2 week break in between. I'm gonna wear some phony ponies and wigs for the next few and then get a weave next month. I wanted to wear my own hair out for graudation but now that I see it looks thin I don't think it's gonna look good with my graduation cap. Now that I think about it I don't think my hair has ever looked full though. Not since childhood. My mother said that when she saw my hair the other day. She was like wow your hair grew a lot! But she did agree that it looked thin once she saw it. I called her when I got home to let her know how it turned out and she said that I was probably making a big deal out of nothing. :lol: She said my hair used to be pretty thick when I was younger. I don't know about pretty thick but I do remember it being thicker and longer than it is now. Could my texture have changed? Hmm... I know one of my cousins said that happened to her when she turned about 14. Her texture started looking more like her sisters. I think our hair looks similar in texture now. Hmmm...

What strength relaxer did you use? I use to go long stretches while wearing weave without relaxing but I found that when I removed the weave and washed I would get a lot of tangles leading to breakage. So now I relax every 12 weeks with a very mild relaxer (for me Fiberguard mild) to cut down on tangles. Overall my hair is a lot thicker since I started doing that.

cutebajangirl said:
What strength relaxer did you use? I use to go long stretches while wearing weave without relaxing but I found that when I removed the weave and washed I would get a lot of tangles leading to breakage. So now I relax every 12 weeks with a very mild relaxer (for me Fiberguard mild) to cut down on tangles. Overall my hair is a lot thicker since I started doing that.

I've been using Mizani for the past year or so. I'm not sure what strength though. I believe it was regular. I didn't have any tangles though. I was suprised. And I didn't lose that much hair either. A lot let than last time I took my weave down.

Personally I will not be waeving anymore because of this same problem.

I love weaves, Lord knows I do, but they are no good for my hair. Everytime I take a weave out I notice my hair looks thin and just feels damaged, plus it nurders my edges. About a month ago after I took my weave out and relaxed I almost cried, my hair looked so thin and lifeless, I was this close to getting a short cut but I persisted. Now I'm working on rebuilding my hair by washing 2x per week followed by a light protein treatment each wash, it's coming along.

When I wear weaves i make sure to wash and moisturize often, however they just don't work for my hair at all. I realize that my hair needs regular deep conditioning, and a weave does not afford that.

I'm not saying this is what's happening to your hair, just take it into consideration. I noticed my problem with weaves after reading a post by Lorraine (my hair idol) saying that her hair flourished after leaving the weaves alone.

IntelligenceisBeautiful said:
Personally I will not be waeving anymore because of this same problem.

I love weaves, Lord knows I do, but they are no good for my hair. Everytime I take a weave out I notice my hair looks thin and just feels damaged, plus it nurders my edges. About a month ago after I took my weave out and relaxed I almost cried, my hair looked so thin and lifeless, I was this close to getting a short cut but I persisted. Now I'm working on rebuilding my hair by washing 2x per week followed by a light protein treatment each wash, it's coming along.

When I wear weaves i make sure to wash and moisturize often, however they just don't work for my hair at all. I realize that my hair needs regular deep conditioning, and a weave does not afford that.

I'm not saying this is what's happening to your hair, just take it into consideration. I noticed my problem with weaves after reading a post by Lorraine (my hair idol) saying that her hair flourished after leaving the weaves alone.

Hmmm... could be. It's something I'll definitely think about. Thanks. This is the first time I've ever experienced it though. And I've been weaving off and on for the past 2 years. It's really the only way I've seen growth though. I don't really have the time or money to sit in the hairdresser or do my own hair (time wise) though with school and all. Tried the braid thing as a freshman and it tore my hair up. So the weave has been working for me. That and I know if I leave my hair out I'm gonna mess with it. It doesn't really hold curls and a flat wrap isn't what's up (at least not at my length).

gorgeoushair said:
Are you going to update your album?

Yeah... when I get a minute. I should stop being lazy :sekret: lol I have madd schoolwork I shouled be doing and I'm here on this damn forum lol I guess I'll take some pics when I take this phony pony off before I go to bed.

Back