I got flat hair!

Question for you ladies.

I just got a relaxer yesterday (sunday) and my hair is flat and can't hold a curl (it's always like this after I get a relaxer--fine hair :ohwell: ). I want to co-wash my hair but i heard that I shouldn't wash my hair until a week after my relaxer. Can I co-wash my hair on wednesday safely???

TIA

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I don't see why you can't. I believe that most people want you to wait to wash your hair after a relaxer because your hair may still be weak from the freshly done process. I personally don't see anything wrong with you washing/co-washing your hair on Wednesday.

My hair becomes somewhat lifeless after a relaxer also; I have fine hair too. If you want your hair to appear to have more body then opt for a rollerset (on medium sized rollers) and finger comb your hair. That way you'll have bouncy springy curls that make your hair look full. I don't know how long they will hold, because mine may droop in the heat, but it's definitely worth a try. HTH

HoneyDew

I can't see why you can't wash it either. Most times, that wash is what I need to give me more volume after the infamous post-relaxer flatness.

TSUprincess04 said:
I don't see why you can't. I believe that most people want you to wait to wash your hair after a relaxer because your hair may still be weak from the freshly done process. I personally don't see anything wrong with you washing/co-washing your hair on Wednesday.

My hair becomes somewhat lifeless after a relaxer also; I have fine hair too. If you want your hair to appear to have more body then opt for a rollerset (on medium sized rollers) and finger comb your hair. That way you'll have bouncy springy curls that make your hair look full. I don't know how long they will hold, because mine may droop in the heat, but it's definitely worth a try. HTH

Thanks TSU!
They used the huge grey rollers on my hair yesterday. It was nice to see that I can use those rollers (I usually use the purple ones) but now my hair is too flat and lifeless. I'm gonna co-wash on Wednesday! I'll save the rollerset for the weekend. It's gonna be over 100 degrees in NYC this week:eek: !

HoneyDew said:
I can't see why you can't wash it either. Most times, that wash is what I need to give me more volume after the infamous post-relaxer flatness.
Thanks Honeydew!!!
I'm def co-washing on wednesday!!!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

How did you tie your hair up last night? that maybe what's keeping your hair flat. I like to pincurl mine it keeps it nice and full looking w/volume even after a fresh relaxer.
karmelsassy said:
Thanks TSU!
They used the huge grey rollers on my hair yesterday. It was nice to see that I can use those rollers (I usually use the purple ones) but now my hair is too flat and lifeless. I'm gonna co-wash on Wednesday! I'll save the rollerset for the weekend. It's gonna be over 100 degrees in NYC this week:eek: !

KiniKakes

BeautifulWideEyes said:
How did you tie your hair up last night? that maybe what's keeping your hair flat. I like to pincurl mine it keeps it nice and full looking w/volume even after a fresh relaxer.

I agree with this! Wrapping my hair always makes it look really flat and lifeless, esp. following a fresh relaxer. But when I section it into medium size chunks and pin curl it.... it looks fabulous in the morning. Full, with body, and a slight curl! I love it!!!

hairmaster

Did you do a protein conditioning after rinsing the relaxer? This replaces the protein that the relaxer removes from the hair straighting process.

atlien11

I talked to a Phyto rep (i use phyto index 2) and asked her about washing your hair right after a relaxer. She stated that when you wash your hair again, it re-opens the cuticle back up and although your hair has been chemically straightened (or permanently), she said it would revert back quicker. Not sure how true this is, just saying what she told me :look: She suggested waiting at least 3-4 days...

Last edited:
BeautifulWideEyes said:
I'd LUV to pin curl but I can't get the hang of it. Usually, I put about 5-6 ponytails in my hair and then put curlers at the end. When I came from the salon, I had it wrapped. I took it down and put it in my normal bedtime style, thinking it would work. It didn't :(

atlien11 said:
I talked to a Phyto rep (i use phyto index 2) and asked her about washing your hair right after a relaxer. She stated that when you wash your hair again, it re-opens the cuticle back up and although your hair has been chemically straightened (or permanently), she said it would revert back quicker. Not sure how true this is, just saying what she told me :look: She suggested waiting at least 3-4 days...
Thanks ATLien11 (btw...Lovin the lacefront :) )
Oh, I didn't know about this. Maybe I should wait until the end of the week....

hairmaster said:
Did you do a protein conditioning after rinsing the relaxer? This replaces the protein that the relaxer removes from the hair straighting process.

Yes, I brough my ORS Hair mayo to the salon and did a deep conditioner (did a moisturizing conditioner afterwards as well)

atlien11

karmelsassy said:
Thanks ATLien11 (btw...Lovin the lacefront :) )
Oh, I didn't know about this. Maybe I should wait until the end of the week....
I went ahead and followed the advice because i paid TOO much for that relaxer to revert on me before its time. Thats just my choice though.

btw, thanks ;)

goldensensation said:
You should probably wash with a moisturizing shampoo AND conditioner. And I agree, Wed is fine.

Thanks Goldensensation....
Really?? I thought that doing a co-wash would be better since shampoo would be stripping (although I use Nexxus Therapy so it shouldn't be so bad). Please educate me..lol.

atlien11 said:
I went ahead and followed the advice because i paid TOO much for that relaxer to revert on me before its time. Thats just my choice though.

btw, thanks ;)

Aint that the truth!!! Can't waste money..especially since my next relaxer won't be until October!!!!:lol: