flat hair after relaxer

strenght81

Ok, I have a major dilemma. I have 4a/b hair, kinky, coarse, tightly coiled. My hair appears full but in my opinion it's fine, especially after a relaxer. When ever I get my hair relaxed it always looks so flat until my next wash.:confused: Does anyone else here has this problem? How is this prevented?. BTW, I usually use a regular relaxer. Would it be better to use a mild relaxer?

texasqt

Same thing here and I have the same hair type. The only time I can remember ever getting a relaxer and my hair being full and bouncy was when I got it done at the JC Penney salon. Maybe its the products used when styling - like using something for body??? I wouldn't worry much about it as long as it thickens up later.

shunta

I have the same problem. I really dont like my hair until about two weeks post then I get some of the fullness back. I think Im gonna stick with mild because regulars left it stick straight.

sexyaqr

I have the same problem. It looks horrible to me. But I am questioning whether I am really 4a/b now:perplexed

strenght81

sexyaqr said:
I have the same problem. It looks horrible to me.

Yeah, it looks horrible to me too, that is why I am trying to find a way to prevent this. The whole purpose of getting our hair relaxed is to make it look better than before we realxed it, but those first two weeks my hair looks fine and unappealing.

strenght81

texasqt said:
Same thing here and I have the same hair type. The only time I can remember ever getting a relaxer and my hair being full and bouncy was when I got it done at the JC Penney salon. Maybe its the products used when styling - like using something for body??? I wouldn't worry much about it as long as it thickens up later.

You may be right, the products may help a great deal with this. My hair only looks bouncy after a perm if it's underprocessed.:mad:

PinkAngel

I've noticed that when I do a mid relaxer protein step (applying a light protein before the neutralizing shampoo) my hair does not have this flatness/lifeless feel. It's worth a try, I use Aphogee 2min reconstructor or Nexxus Keraphix. HTH

Babygurl

I had that problem until I stopped relaxing my hair bone straight...Im texlaxed now and my hair is always full and bouncy after a relaxer.

MrsBKJ

Hey
you could maybe try changing relaxers...my hair was flat after a previous relaxer but after i relaxed with phyto my hair lots of volume.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
ITA. I did this step on my hair yesterday, and my hair isn't flat.

msshic said:
I've noticed that when I do a mid relaxer protein step (applying a light protein before the neutralizing shampoo) my hair does not have this flatness/lifeless feel. It's worth a try, I use Aphogee 2min reconstructor or Nexxus Keraphix. HTH

Miss*Tress

Post-relaxer flatness is par for the course. The fullness usually returns with the first CW/shampoo so you probably shouldn't worry about it too much.

AtlantaJJ

strenght81 said:
Ok, I have a major dilemma. I have 4a/b hair, kinky, coarse, tightly coiled. My hair appears full but in my opinion it's fine, especially after a relaxer. When ever I get my hair relaxed it always looks so flat until my next wash.:confused: Does anyone else here has this problem? How is this prevented?. BTW, I usually use a regular relaxer. Would it be better to use a mild relaxer?
Are you using lye or no lye?

AtlantaJJ

msshic said:
I use Ultra Sheen Duo Tex... it really helps....a low ph protein reconstructor will help using it the step before neut.

misskris816

I have that same problem as well. I love how straight my hair is after a relaxer, but hate how it's so flat. Generally after 2 weeks my hair get it's body back to normal again.

seeminglysweet

The same thing happens to me. I used to hate it but now that I rollerset with every wash I love how smooth and straight it is just after a relaxer.

HoneyDew

My hair is always too flat and limp after relaxing. Washing gives me more body. I guess it is a just personal preference. I like my hair after the first shampoo after I relax.

Isis

My newly relaxed hair always looks better after washing it about 2 days later, especially before I started texlaxing.

However, I did go to a special occasion this year the day after relaxing and my hair looked very, very good. I made sure every product was rinsed out very well and I used my regular shampoo after thoroughly washing with the neutralizing shampoo and rinsing well. I used all of the products I normally use (except for the Keraphix) after using the relaxer products and my hair was swingy and bouncy. I wore a braidout so that did not look flat at all.

blackbarbie

This used to happen to me as well and my old stylist said it was probably b/c she was heavily basing my scalp. Instead, she just started basing my edges and I didn't have a problem after that.

rdm

I have the same problem. If you look at my fotki, my hair actually looks stringy!!!!

MonaRae

Ladies! For full body hair right after a relaxer (the same day) just perform a lite protein treatment like Aphogee 2 minute treatment for about 5 mintues after you rinse the relaxer out and before you neuturalize!

It really works!
MonaRae