I HAD TO REMOVE MY SEW IN THE SAME DAY BECAUSE IT WAS TOO TIGHT! LONG!

BC2/4/06

I was so excited about my new protective style. A sew in weave with small individual braids around the perimeter so that i wouldnt have to blend my 4b natural hair with the weave.

I did my sew in research here on the forum.

I told the girl not to do it tight. I think it was fine until she started sewing in the tracks. Maybe she pulled the thread too tight or maybe it was the individual braids around my hairline that was too tight. But I thought I could handle it. But the pain worsened as the night progressed. I ended up waking up at 2 am and asking my sister to cut out the weave!

My head was throbbing and it still is! So even though I'm mad at the wasted , 85 for the install 40 for the hair, (as is my husband), I did the right thing because if its still sore with the hair and braids removed it was too tight.

I would go back and let her try again or try to get a refund but, she does hair in her bedroom ( I sat on her bed) and told me she was going immediately to pay her phone bill with the money i paid her , and because I told her repeatedly not to make it tight, if she did it anyway then she might not know how to sew it looser and I'm back in the same boat.

I have a church banquet tonight so I plan to wear a wig and try to regroup. I have also been applying aloe vera gel to my scalp to try to soothe it.

LESSONS LEARNED FOR ME:

I cannot do weaves and braids because they are always installed too tightly.

I need to figure out some good protective styles for my own hair!

Ladies, thanks for listening. I know I'm not the only person who has had this experience!:nono:

beans4reezy

I'm sorry about your experience, but at least you've learned some lessons about your hair. This is the reason why I would like to self install my own weaves, it just seems as if these stylists just do not listen to you when you say not too tight.

Thanks for sharing!!

Fine 4s

A friend of mine went through the same thing and I believe you DID do the right thing.
Go with your gut and you'll save your hair....

Qualitee

Sorry this happend to you:hug2:

Have you thought maybe your scalp raises in braids, even though it isnt tight? or you maybe allergic to weave?

moriahar

OP: I'm so sorry that this happened to you.I'm glad that you decided to remove it before it had a chance to cause major damage. Be sure to call her asap and let he know that you had to take it down because it was way too tight. If you are brave, maybe you can schedule a time for her to give it another try (for FREE of course) once your scalp has a chance to recover.

This is the reason why I would like to self install my own weaves, it just seems as if these stylists just do not listen to you when you say not too tight.

Thanks for sharing!!

I was just saying the same thing to my cousin last night. With a self install at least all you lose is the cost for supplies rather than than and the cost of labor. So if you have to take it out the next day you don't have to feel that bad.

Wow, that exact same scenario happened to me last month! My mom had to remove it all at 4am, when I couldn't sleep. Horrible. No more stylists!!

Ediese

I don't know why it is, but everything they start sewing it they pull the thread too tight. I've had installs in the past where the braids were not tight, but the stylist pulled the thread too tight to help keep the braids flat. That's just awful! I hate that! I think you did the right thing though.

BC2/4/06

Thanks so much for the support! It was an easy choice when I looked at my scalp and the i could see the raised follicles.

The hard part is the money lost, but I'd rather have lost the money than to be posting here asking how to regrow my hairline, bald spots.

I'm not allergic to braid hair, Ive had braids and weave in the past but this was too tight.

Ediese, I don't know why they pull the thread so tight. Maybe it does look flatter but i told the girl id rather come back in six weeks than to have my hair too tight. I thought they did that to make it last.

BC2/4/06

I'm sorry about your experience, but at least you've learned some lessons about your hair. This is the reason why I would like to self install my own weaves, it just seems as if these stylists just do not listen to you when you say not too tight.

Thanks for sharing!!

I wish I could self install also. I thought a weave would be a great protective style for me. I've seen alot of relaxed a natural ladies retain alot of hair with it.

BC2/4/06

I don't know why it is, but everything they start sewing it they pull the thread too tight. I've had installs in the past where the braids were not tight, but the stylist pulled the thread too tight to help keep the braids flat. That's just awful! I hate that! I think you did the right thing though.

In this case, what did you do? Just stick it out? Cut the threads? I tried cutting a couple of the tighter threads but it still hurt.

Also, You were one of my natural sew in inspirations !

Ediese

In this case, what did you do? Just stick it out? Cut the threads? I tried cutting a couple of the tighter threads but it still hurt.

Also, You were one of my natural sew in inspirations !

Thank you! Yeah I think it's a combination of wanting it to last and making the install appear flatter. I had to take out an install I did earlier this year, and have someone else redo it. I lost $200 having the first person do it too tight, and I had to pay an additional $80 to get it redone. I can definitely relate. In the past, if it was tight because of the braids, I usually waited a couple days to see if it would get better. It always did. If it's the thread, I took it out.

foxee

You definitely did the right thing. I had sew ins so tight I could barely blink. Never sacrifice the health of your hair for a cute style!

Mook's hair

No, you're not the only one.
Your experience sounds like mine. Back in 96. the only sew in I've ever had.
I swore them off after that.

She did a beautiful job cornrowing my hair she did it in a pattern that spiraled to the center of my head.
Then as she started with the thread it was fine at first but I started feeling the tension as she got closer to the middle.

I also thought I could handle it. But I was catching a plane the next day and had packing to do. Plus it looked sooooo pretty. And I wanted my honey to see it when I got home.
the pain worsened as the night progressed. I kept mine in 2 nights. couldn't sleep the 2nd night because of the tension and pulling and so I started removing it.

The thread actually cut through my hair like a razor in one spot in the center of my head. I was too through!

Swore off sew ins forever.

I suggest that you try to learn to do your own braids, cornrows and maybe even sew ins. Maybe your sister can help you.

There are lots of tutorials on youtube.

Kneechay

i went to Tinnell's yesterday and she let me watch her do two installs on two of my friends.

I'm going to be weaving in no time.

I love learning new skills even if it's not what I do for a living, but Im on this quest to become the most resourceful person I know so i just had to learn. I hope I get good enough to get to the point where I'll be able to do self-installs, but situations like these are main reasons why we should learn to do stuff by ourselves just in case.

Lenee925

You could try youtube like Mook says also, you can try to do twists rathers than braids. They will be looser on your head. Twists aren't as long lasting as cornrows but for me I cannot cornrow my own hair only other people's. I have to have someone show me how to place my hands or something.