I Hate My Hair!!!!! *Vent*

Stiletto_Diva

I co-wash about 5 times a week with tresemme (sp?). I pat dry my hair and since all of the moisturizers I have tried have failed me I just put some oil on it. I don't know what type of oil it is because my mom bought it for me in N.Carolina and it was handmade and has lots of different natural oils in it. Its a soft solid and turn into an oil once it is warmed up. I usually slick the edged back with Fantasia IC Gel ( not tight, just enough so it lays down) and then hold it back with a panyhose. I then shape the 'fro and go about my business. I've tried Aloe Vera gel and it did nothing for my hair. I also tried Nexxus and wasn't wowed. I actually liked the tressemme better.

Try wearing a plastic conditioning cap under your scarf/bonnet while sleeping it helps with keeping you hair moisturized. I usually put on oil or moisturizer on my hair before bed then the cap. If you like you can try my hair care regimen. I'm not a professional or anything like that, I just can relate. I have been natural for a year now. I wear braids on and off because it is easy and I don't like dealing with my hair all the time. I felt the same with I relaxed my hair. Modify it to you liking...

My hair regimen:

**This is not set in stone. I change out products depending on the style and the amount of time I have to do my hair.

Daily
-Moisturized hair with UBH Dew Moisturizer
-Oil scalp with Jamaican Black Castor Oil
-Apply Boundless Tresses to scalp
-Mist hair with leave in conditioner mixture of Coloresse and Infusium 23
-Mist hair with glycerin mixture (I mixed together in a small spray bottle: water, glycerin, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, rosemary oil, tea tree oil, extra virgin olive oil, and lavender.
-Then style using Fantasia Styling Gel or Purple Rain Styling Gel
-For twist set I use ORS Twist and Lock Gel
-Organic Root Stimulator Tea Tree Shine Or Proclaim Glosser

Cowash (only as needed)
-Organix Coconut Conditioner or Silk Element Moisturizing Conditioner (if I have a sulfate free Shampoo I use that)

Weekly
-ACV Rinse or Clarifying Shampoo
-Deep Condition with Silk Element Mega Silk Moisturizing Conditioner mixed with...
*Glycerin
*Jojoba Oil
*Coconut Oil
*Vitamin E Oil
*Peppermint OIl
*Rosemary Oil
*Tea Tree Oil
*Shea Butter (melted in microwave)
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*Jamaican Black Castor Oil
*Honey
*Lavendar

Monthly
-Color
-Shampoo and condition with Coloresse

Hope this helps

JustKiya

I co-wash about 5 times a week with tresemme (sp?). I pat dry my hair and since all of the moisturizers I have tried have failed me I just put some oil on it. I don't know what type of oil it is because my mom bought it for me in N.Carolina and it was handmade and has lots of different natural oils in it. Its a soft solid and turn into an oil once it is warmed up. I usually slick the edged back with Fantasia IC Gel ( not tight, just enough so it lays down) and then hold it back with a panyhose. I then shape the 'fro and go about my business. I've tried Aloe Vera gel and it did nothing for my hair. I also tried Nexxus and wasn't wowed. I actually liked the tressemme better.

Tressemme, if I recall correctly, is full of silicones. Are you shampoo'ing weekly, as well?

Seriously, I know I'm like cone-free crazy, but that could REALLY be the root of your problem. My hair was NEVER able to reach it's moisture potential while I was using cones - shampooing them off, or not. I actually think the shampoo made things worse - the cones prevented most of the moisture from getting to my hair, and then the shampoo stripped out the little bit of moisture that did make it, plus some.

I dunno. I'd try clarifying, and going cone free for a month. Just to see. :look:

Lucky's Mom

Tresseme?

I found this ingredient listing.....
Water (aqua), Quaternium-18, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Fruit Extract (Sweet Almond), Corylus Avellana Leaf Extract (Hazel), Helianthus Annuus Extract (Sunflower), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Epilobium Angustifolium Extract, Foeniculum Vulgare Fruit Extract (Fennel), Hydroxyethylcellulose.

looks like there is a protein problem with this product for you....

In addition - I know that Fantasia IC - also contains an ingredient that can be drying over time (TEA)

But.... Do you do any deep conditioning? Overnight conditioning?
Have you tried Olive oil? You can buy that in any supermarket....

I think you should do some more research on what products may work for your hair....
Daily wetting, might also be a problem if you have hard water in your area....

JustKiya

Tresseme?

Water (aqua), Quaternium-18, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Fruit Extract (Sweet Almond), Corylus Avellana Leaf Extract (Hazel), Helianthus Annuus Extract (Sunflower), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Epilobium Angustifolium Extract, Foeniculum Vulgare Fruit Extract (Fennel), Hydroxyethylcellulose.

In addition - I know that Fantasia IC - also contains an ingredient that can be drying over time (TEA)

I think you should do some more research on what products may work for your hair....

Oooh, I was wrong, no cones!!! Hrrrm. I wonder if my hair would like that one. Which one was that, SamanthaJones?
I've never seen cone-free Tresemme on the shelves.... :(

Leeda.the.Paladin

Oooh, I was wrong, no cones!!! Hrrrm. I wonder if my hair would like that one. Which one was that, SamanthaJones?
I've never seen cone-free Tresemme on the shelves.... :(

According to amazon, that's the Tresemme Vitamin E Enriched Moisturizing Conditioner.But the other ones that I looked up had cones.

I agree that cones, if you are using them, could be the source of the problem. I also think you should do more protective styling. Wash n go's are fun, but just like a lot of relaxed heads don't wear their hair down everyday to retain length, I think naturals heads need the same protective styling. Also, they are a lot of manipulation and I think it would help cut down on the knots.

My hair is naturally super dry, but with frequent DC's, protective styling and daily moisturizing, it's not become a bane but my pride.

You say that twists look terrible on you...why do you think that?

FeelinIt

Tresseme?

I love Fantasia IC gel too. I use it daily but only on my crown and nape area.

TrustMeLove

I dry my hair with paper towels. I think cotton towels place lint in the hair helping to facilitate knot formation.

Also try more deep conditioning. I had to stop the daily CW. It was drying my hair out.
I would spray my hair w/ a water, aloe vera, oil mixture and finger fluff. GL!

Cassandra1975

Yep - my hair felt and looked its best when I got a shower filter.

I went through this too. When I stopped getting the texturizer and just letting my hair grow, I had no idea what to do with it. NONE. I spent the first 6 months just happy I didn't have to keep going to the hairdresser and paying for the texturizer. I was the wash and go queen - with Pantene Relaxed and Natural. Then I tried every product I could to try and make my hair "curl." You name it, I slapped it on there. No regard to ingredients. Protein and moisture balance? What's that? :wallbash:

I went to the hairdresser to get my ends trimmed and that resulted in a CUT back to about 1.5 inches long, if that. After that I was determined to figure out what worked for me. I found Motowngirl's site, and since then I've been on a mission to learn more about my hair.

Everyone has given some excellent advice. As far as twists, practice makes perfect. It took me a long while...I felt like I had two left hands. But I finally figured out how to do individual twists, and now I can do my version of flat two strand twists. :yep:

Good luck! I wish you all the best with your hair journey.

BrownEyez22

Hey OP,

I am not sure if you figured out a solution, but I was kinda in the same boat a few months ago with tangley ends. I'm wearing a sew-in now though.

I did the following 3or4x a week
I started putting my hair on hard rollers, after applying a moisturizer to that section and a little oil on the ends. In the morning I would just fluff it out with a fingers/pick it to lift it some and I had a stretched out very moisturized "fluffy puff" behind a headband.

I can sleep on hard rollers though. Some ppl can't

It really cut down on the tangly ends. I got the idea from curlynikki's blog. HTH

Last edited:

Stiletto_Diva

I don't do deep conditioners that often, maybe that is my problem. I personally don't like twist on me because my hair shrinks alot and my head is big, and thats a bad combination. I also will try the roller sets. I just neet to find rollers small enough for my short hair. I'll try deep conditioning once a month and see if that helps. but if not I'm getting a sew in next month

BrownEyez22

I don't do deep conditioners that often, maybe that is my problem. I personally don't like twist on me because my hair shrinks alot and my head is big, and thats a bad combination. I also will try the roller sets. I just neet to find rollers small enough for my short hair. I'll try deep conditioning once a month and see if that helps. but if not I'm getting a sew in next month

My hair is only 3 inches long, I believe. Your hair looks longer so I am sure you will be able to find some rollers. I use 2 different sizes.