I HATE SULFATE FREE SHAMPOOS!! Rant

MsSanz92

So I just got a sew in installed about 2 weeks ago and I had washed my hair for the first time this past Saturday. I did not have the shampoo I was planning to use to wash the weave hair (Softsheen Carson Weave Care Line Shampoo) so I decided to go to Target to get something in the meanwhile. I bought a sample size of the Giovanni Deep Moisture Shampoo for about $1.37. I washed my hair on Saturday and as soon as I smelled the shampoo I thought, UGH this stuff smells like public bathroom soap :perplexed. But once I lathered it up on my scalp 1) it didn't really lather (I wasn't expecting it to since it is a sulfate free shampoo) and 2) it didn't really clean my scalp. To make matters worse, about a day or 2 later my scalp started itching profusely! To the point I was scratching every 5 minutes. I even oiled it with my oil mix of JBCO, Jojoba, and Peppermint oil to no avail. I eventually rewashed my hair today with Pantene Relaxed and Natural Shampoo :lick: which has always left my hair soft and clean! Most importantly no damn itch! :wallbash:

When I did my BC in March 2010, I was initially using only sulfate free shampoos because I did use BKT on my hair. I since then stopped using it so I decided to go back to shampoos with sulfates. Never had I ever when using sulfate shampoos had any excessive itching/discomfort on my scalp. Seriously, my hair HATED me for using that Giovanni never again! I now know I must use what works on my hair, not what everyone else thinks is best for natural hair.

But my question is, are there other naturals out there whose hair HATES or disagrees greatly with sulfate free shampoos? I know I can't be the only sulfate kind of natural out there.

naturalTAN

I know that my gigantic bottle of Aussie Moist shampoo (filled with cones and sulfates :grin: ) will have to be pried away from my dead, cold hands. :look: :blush: Yes it's that serious. I love this stuff.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I usually use sulfate shampoos. My hair never feels stripped or dry. I do not like most sulfate free shampoos. I find them to be drying. I do like giovanni smooth as silk shampoo. That is the only one i like. Grease is a staple in my regimen so that may be a factor too.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I haven't had any problems with sulfate free shampoos...yet. Have you tried Lorea'ls sulfate free line? I like the Loreal EverStrong Reconstruct shampoo. It has a great lather, a nice fresh clean scent and it doesn't strip my hair. Also, you don't have to use a lot. They have 3 different kids of poo (Hydrate, Fortify, Reconstruct) and I read a few reviews about BKT ladies liking the Hydrate line.

Fav shampoo with sulfates: Nexxus Therappe Luxury Moisturizing Shampoo. Great lather, smells like an awesome gelado or summer icee and it doesn't strip my hair.

MsSanz92

I've used a couple of sulfate free shampoos such as:

Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo - The Devil in a bottle form!!
Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo - Meh! It smelled good though
Cream of Nature Shampoo (Old green and yellow bottle) - also meh but I LOVE their new Kiwi Citrus one I used it right before I put in my sew in with no issues (this is what my mother uses)
Hair One Olive Oil - nice sensation on my scalp but did not clean my hair
Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (New formula) - this is the only one which did ok with my hair HOWEVER my sulfate shampoos did much better on my hair for cheaper

I've given up on sulfate free shampoos. They and my hair are enemies! However I am going to try the Design Essentials Moisture Retention Shampoo or the Creme of Nature Red Clover and Aloe Soothing Shampoo once I run out of the Pantene Relaxed and Natural. If those don't work I Pantene will become a staple since it has done me no wrong yet!

Roux

my hair used to love SLS free shampoo but now it does NOT get my scalp clean so clarifying is best for me.

BlackMasterPiece

I pretty much struck gold with Trader Joe's NourishSpa:grin: sulfate free, organic, lathers just as much as sulfate shampoos and leaves my hair clean as a whistle every time, the conditioner is to die for as well and to top it off, they're $3 for a 16oz bottle. It's the best:up:

Before I started my HHJ I was faithful to Pantene Pro-V relaxed and natural and it was doing me justice I must say.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

miss stress

I used to ahte sulfate free shampoos too till I tried shescentit's jojoba hemp conditioning shampoo. Its the best!

.:Eden:.

You may have just been allergic to an ingredient in their shampoo. I wouldn't discount sulfate free shampoos altogether, unless this happens frequently when you use them (regardless of the brand).

sillygirl82

I like Hairveda shampoo bars and the Giovanni clarifying shampoo. I haven't used a sulfate shampoo in a very long time.

Lady_q_tee

Only shampoo I use is elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo ... its sulfate free and I love it

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I don't like ALL sulfate free poos equally. However, I typically use a gentle poo anyway,
DevaCare Low Poo.

brownstallion

life ain't easy!!
I started putting a little light oil in my sulfate free shampoo and it works but it's not the best however, it does the job. I'm on the hunt for the perfect shampoo!

JJamiah

I pretty much struck gold with Trader Joe's NourishSpa:grin: sulfate free, organic, lathers just as much as sulfate shampoos and leaves my hair clean as a whistle every time, the conditioner is to die for as well and to top it off, they're $3 for a 16oz bottle. It's the best:up:

Before I started my HHJ I was faithful to Pantene Pro-V relaxed and natural and it was doing me justice I must say.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

YOur across the bridge from me, I'd love to try their brand of Sulphate free shampoo (especially at that price) do you mind sharing where they are located :)

ms.blue

My favorite shampoo for my natural hair is ors aloe shampoo which sulfate laden! I orginally was using sulfate-free shampoos but it would dry out my hair and irritate (sp?) My scalp so bad (elucence shampoo) so I started diluting them with water to combat the harshness. One day, I needed a good clarify shampoo and I had ors aloe shampoo underneath my sink and decided to try it again (my relaxed hair hated this shampoo so bad). My natural hair loved this shampoo-my hair felt so good and clean that this is my go to shampoo. Sulfate-free is not for everyone.

Last edited:

KurleeK5

I use to get the same drying effect until i used silk elements Sulfate free. it leaves my hair SUPER soft!! it's ion a bronze bottle... LOVE it! :)

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
The first time I went natural, I used cone and sulfate free products exclusively. My hair was always a crispy dry matted mess. I ended up relaxing. The next time, I used ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo to transition and Pantene Relaxed and Natural my first few months as a natural. Now I use Herbal Essences HH and LTR.

Tiye

You may have just been allergic to an ingredient in their shampoo. I wouldn't discount sulfate free shampoos altogether, unless this happens frequently when you use them (regardless of the brand).

I discounted them long ago. I've even made my own (you can order the ingredients on ebay or making cosmetics, etc.) - I still don't like the sulfate alternatives. There are good sulfate shampoos and bad ones. I don't use the bad ones.

Vashti

I use a sulfate shampoo. Mane and Tail. Whenever I feel my hair needs to be squeaky clean I use it. Never had any issues.

Allandra

I'm still using sulfate free shampoos, and I'm still loving them. Some of my favorites are:

• [FONT=&quot]Bee Mine Peppermint & Tea Tree Nourishing Shampoo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]She Scent It Eucalyptus Mint Shampoo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]She Scent It Jojoba Hemp Conditioning Shampoo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa[/FONT]
All of these product suds in my hair.

Charz

Sinister Minister
I'm still using sulfate free shampoos, and I'm still loving them. Some of my favorites are:

• [FONT=&quot]Bee Mine Peppermint & Tea Tree Nourishing Shampoo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]She Scent It Eucalyptus Mint Shampoo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]She Scent It Jojoba Hemp Conditioning Shampoo[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa[/FONT]
All of these product suds in my hair.

I cosign on the bolded! (never tried the other ones)

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Only shampoo I use is elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo ... its sulfate free and I love it

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

That was the only sulfate-free shampoo I liked, until they changed to formula.

MsSanz92

After this Giovanni fiasco I'm traumatized by sulfate free shampoos. Like I mentioned before I want to try the Design Essentials Moisture Retention shampoo; are there any naturals out there using this one?

MsSanz92

This is the first time I had a reaction to any hair product whether it be sulfate free or not but for some reason all of the other sulfate free shampoos I have used in the past did me no justice. It's not that important to me to use a sulfate free shampoo I might as well just stick to what does work for me even if it is "bad" for natural hair.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
After this Giovanni fiasco I'm traumatized by sulfate free shampoos. Like I mentioned before I want to try the Design Essentials Moisture Retention shampoo; are there any naturals out there using this one?

This is the EXACT reason why it takes a little work to find the products that work for you. I try to find sample sized products first (or visit stores that will provide samples) before committing to full sized bottle. Some products are raved and don't or won't work for me.

pookaloo83

I use Giovanni Tea Tree Tripe treat. It can be drying, that's why I wash my hair like Kimmay does. :look: :lol: Yeah I talk crap about her sometimes but this method works for me. I wash my hair with the shampoo, then without washing the shampoo out I apply my conditioner on top of it. I use Aussie Moist. My hair feels so good afterwards.

Junebug D

I hate them as well. They are more drying to me than sulfate shampoos. This was true when I was natural and relaxed.

Imani

This is a good moisturizing shampoo (and I have SUPER dry hair); I used it before I started doing no cones/sufates. It is similar to keracare hydrating detangling. using it alone will not get your very clean though if you are looking for super clean hair or trying to use it with heat.

Imani

I like sulfate free shampoos but so far haven't found one that makes my hair feel clean enough to use it when wearing straight. I don't wear my hair straight often anymore but when I do I use a sulfate shampoo to really get it clean

I like Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (sulfate free formula). I want to try the keracare first Lather sulfate free as well. Ya'll are making me want to try this trader joes