I have a new technique!

Bubblingbrownshuga

I stopped being so danged lazy with my hair and decided to do something drastic. After washing and conditioning, rather than just slather on product and style, I now drumroll please..............

I now part my hair in small sections, apply my moisturizer and comb with a a small tooth comb. My hair now dries quicker and looks so much better!

I love doing this.I think applying the product in smaller sections and then combing it through really helps with even distribution.:yep:

How do you comb through all of that thick hair w/a small toothed comb. It seems like it would yank your hair. Is it reducing your tangles?

How do you comb through all of that thick hair w/a small toothed comb. It seems like it would yank your hair. Is it reducing your tangles?

My hair is already combed before re-combing. I comb my hair while wet with condish in the shower, then comb again as soon as I am done in the shower.

Yes, it reduces my tangles and the bunchiness to my hair.

I love doing this.I think applying the product in smaller sections and then combing it through really helps with even distribution.:yep:

ITA! My hair is a lot less weighed down when I do this, and it's also a lot easier to detangle and comb through when done in smaller sections :yep:

I have always done this for my thick hair and i love it. It really helps distribute the product evenly but instead of a small tooth comb I usually comb through with a wide tooth comb, just put the product on (which in my case is always Oyin Burnt sugar) then use the goody styling therapy brush for even distribution and to define the curls then twist it maybe eight big twists and thats it. There is no way I could just slather my product of choice just like that I would have to go back and do it in sections anyways which is double the work.

My hair is already combed before re-combing. I comb my hair while wet with condish in the shower, then comb again as soon as I am done in the shower.

Yes, it reduces my tangles and the bunchiness to my hair.

hmm I may consider this. When you say small tooth comb you mean like a rat tail or wider spacing than that.

A few people on the board do a similar thing and apply it with an applicator brush (like you use for color or relaxers). This may be a bit gentler than combing for those of you are reluctant to do that.

also a small tooth comb helps get rid of your sheded hairs (only after you have detangled)

Is this the same as shingling? I used to do this when my hair was longer, it was a lifesaver preventing me from getting really matted and tangled hair.

I stopped being so danged lazy with my hair and decided to do something drastic. After washing and conditioning, rather than just slather on product and style, I now drumroll please..............

I now part my hair in small sections, apply my moisturizer and comb with a a small tooth comb. My hair now dries quicker and looks so much better!
Thanks for the tip. I'm trying this technique!

Is this the same as shingling? I used to do this when my hair was longer, it was a lifesaver preventing me from getting really matted and tangled hair.

I dunno, I guess. I used this method when transitioning and I had the smoothest buns without the use of hair gels. I decided to give it another go before I did something too drastic to my hair that I would end up regretting.

I usually apply all my moisturizer in sections after washing and DC-ing but a few days ago I didn't do so and felt the difference. So I had to re-moisturize each individual medium sized dry twists. My hair was thoroughly detangled with the denman brush twist by twist from the wash...just applying moisturizer without sectioning always left tons of unmoisturized strands...Funny, cuz I was just going to ask the board how many people actually do this?

I dunno, I guess. I used this method when transitioning and I had the smoothest buns without the use of hair gels. I decided to give it another go before I did something too drastic to my hair that I would end up regretting.

Speaking of smooth buns, I can't wait to DC on dry hair, rinse and detangle with my Denman brush, put some oil on, rinse again, moisturize and wear my bun AND add some Aloe vera gel for some hold.....I think the Denman brush will make my buns look even nicer!

I use this method too, but I either use the Goody rubber base brush or my regular detangling comb and put on the Honeybush Tea Gel. I twist it up into about 10 sections and allow it to dry.

Back