I have no idea what my hairdresser put in my hair

ART11

I tried to curl it with a curling iron today and my hair kept sticking to the iron. I tried 2 curls and had to give up and wash it. It wasn't slightly sticking either - it was as if it was magnetized. She knows I don't go for all of that stiff crap but truth be known, it wasn't stiff feeling at all - until I pulled it off of the curling iron. What a mess!! Oh well, it was time to wash anyway but I wash at night and I was really late getting out this morning. I mean do we need to review each and every product they use before they put it on our heads??? Geez!

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I mean do we need to review each and every product they use before they put it on our heads??? Geez!

[/ QUOTE ] I hate to say it, but yes! I really believe you have to keep your eyes open when it comes to hair dressers.

I was refered to a hairdresser, and told that she was good and would help me grow my hair. I figured o.k, I'll meet with her. When I went to her yesterday, she told me that I should use the Affirm no-lye relaxer for my hair. I said no, I don't want to use a no-lye, since I recently switched and no-lye relaxers have the tendency to dry out the hair, I want the lye relaxer instead.

You know what sister-girl said to me????? Her exact words were: " Why don't you let me be the professional, and you be the client! I do know what's good for your hair." The nerve!!

I answered her and said: " You can be the professional to another client. I don't think we can work together because no-one knows my hair better than I do. It took me years to get my hair to a point where I can say that I like it, and no "professional" did that for me. Thank-you for your time." I picked up my coat and left. I wasn't rude, but I'm not going to let anyone convince me anymore that they know what's better for my hair then I do.

Jada

Pebbles, way to go girl, I have also found that a lot of stylist (most with not so great hair themselves) think they know it all and some of them don't even have a clue. Tell me girl, what salon did you go to? my reasoning is that I have had consultations with quite a few stylists, and most of the time they have made me feel that I will save my money and do it myself, it usually comes out looking just as good or better when I do it myself, it truly amazes me as Shamboosie also said that it is so easy to care for your own hair(black hair) it's such a shame that it seems to be this well kept secret.

pebbles

Hi Jada,

The woman I went to is in brockton. She has her own salon set up in her basement and has a limited number of clients. She is licensed. My cousins wife made the appointment for me. I didn't want to go because I think that I have done well on my own. But since my girl went out of her way to make the appointment for me, I went. I personally wouldn't recommend her because I think a good hairdresser is one that is willing to work with you and will do what you want her to do and not make you feel that you don't know what you're talking about.

Peachtree

You know, that's exactly why I perfer to do my own hair. Having a beautician pop an attitude, about my hair, or not knowing what the heck they've used in my hair (you know they are notorious for using unmarked items), I just can't get with that...just can't do it.

daviine

Pebbles.....I'm so proud of you. I need the strength/gall to say that. I plan on going to Marvin next month and I'm not going to tell my hirdresser. In fact, if I like him, I'm going to tell her that I can't afford to get my done so that is why I won't be coming to her.

I'll just have to lie because I really like her and her sister is my coworker and like a big sister to me...so I'll just have to lie....

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
The most psychidelic thing that ever happened to me in a salon, concerning products, is when this hairdresser was spraying some stuff on as a final touch and, I swear, my HAIR felt an electric pain. Hair is dead -- how could that be? But I remember it. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Tracy

Pebbles I'm proud of you girl....

I hate when this happens. It's good to know we are all educating eachother and empowering eachother to the extent that we are able to take this kind of initiative with our hair.

It does suck when you don't REALIZE what they are doing as in Renee's case. Whatever it was that went into her hair only caused sticking. Imagine when this happens with realxers and protein conditioners improperly applied and ingredients that don't work well on th individual...disasters waiting to happen. Be careful girls...

That's why I like bringing my own products to the salon. I only allow what I brought to be used. I am adament about this in the nicest way possible. After a few reminders they get the hint...

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LondonDiva

I mean do we need to review each and every product they use before they put it on our heads??? Geez!

[/ QUOTE ]

Renee, I'm afraid we do. If we don't know what the product is and how it will react with our hair then YES review, review review. It's you that has to wash style and comb the hair after the "professional" has been in your hair with all these different products. I'd even go that bit further and ask to read the ingredients of the product. Or perhaps BEFORE having your appointment that day ask what exactly will you be using in my hair and review the products then. No ingredients, it goes NOwhere near my hair. Or just do as Tracy does and bring your own products into the salon. If they object, then I think I'd personally object to going to that salon. Just as when we go into the hair shop to buy our products, we know what we want and what we are looking for. I'm sure we'd find it extrememly rude if the salesperson was to just shove a product on us because they think it would be good for our hair. So why do we accept this same practice in the hair salon just because we are paying them to style it.

Ennyaa

*APPLAUSE APPLAUSE* Girl on behalf of myself and all my friends that have had to deal with these types of hairdressers I'd like to thank you for saying what we all should have been saying from the start.

I have GOT to get my sister over here to read these boards but it's hard because she's not much of an internet surfer. She's been going to this woman for like 7 years who although she is nice, is scissor happy, product cheap and quick to tell you not to argue with her cuz she's the professional. I'm talking about the kind that blow dries dripping wet hair with a round brush and a 2 BILLION watt drier with a DROP of moisturizer that she rubs into her hands before she rubs them in your hair. /images/graemlins/mad.gif And THIS is a woman who's supposed to be so professional and know what's best for you.... PULLEZE!! My sister has to fight with her like EVERY time she goes to the salon (on a weekly basis mind you.)

I WISH I coulda been there to hear you tell that chick the truth!

pebbles

Daviine, Tracy, Ennya,

There was a time I would have sat in the chair like a dumb mute and let the hairdresser do her thing. But with all the hell I've been through with my hair: breakage, bald spots, cutting, not knowing what to do with hair that was always dull and just would not grow, I am determined that I'm not going back to that again.

I think that a women should know her own hair better than anyone else. Not everything works with everyone and it took me years to learn that lesson. I will not stay silent anymore because I KNOW what works for me and what doesn't. I don't think that a good hairdresser should be intimidated if I ask her questions about her methods or make suggestions about what I would like to see done to my hair.

Robin41

Interesting comment, Jada. Why is it that a lot of stylist's hair looks like crap?

Good for you, Pebbles. As a consumer, I try not to spend my hard-earned money wherever I'm made to feel uncomfortable or stupid. That's not such a hard concept to grasp but a lot of stylists just don't get it. I've been blessed with just the best hairdresser who answers all my questions, gives me exactly what I ask for and most important, knows a trim does not mean a CUT. Nobody has to settle for anything less.

A

AmilLion

I tried to curl it with a curling iron today and my hair kept sticking to the iron. I tried 2 curls and had to give up and wash it. It wasn't slightly sticking either - it was as if it was magnetized. She knows I don't go for all of that stiff crap but truth be known, it wasn't stiff feeling at all - until I pulled it off of the curling iron. What a mess!! Oh well, it was time to wash anyway but I wash at night and I was really late getting out this morning. I mean do we need to review each and every product they use before they put it on our heads??? Geez!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact reason why I take my own products to the salon. Ironically today I decided to get a wash n set with the dominicans and a comment was made that I use nothing in the salon. I didn't debate or try to make them understand. It must be a reason why I prefer my own stuff.

ART11

She's usually pretty good - I guess she was just having an "off" day. We had to get past the point where she was not loading my hair with grease. That stuff is way too heavy for my hair and although it would look good in the salon, 3-4 hours later it would be sticking together in clumps. Eventually, one day I just went back later and said "SEE!!" and had her wash it out and redo it. She never loaded me up again. You have to remember I am a pregnant working mommy. At the hairdresser, nail shop, doctors office, whatever, if I am not walking, I am SLEEPING. That does not however give them free license to mistreat me /images/graemlins/smile.gif