I Know Alot Of People Don't Go To The Salon But....

pookaloo83

Do you still let them trim your hair? I don't go to the salon for relaxers anymore, but I'm just not really confident in trimming my own hair. Does anyone trim their own hair? Or are you guys still going to the salon for that?

ceebee3

I love going to the Salon! The only reason I don't is for financial reasons. I also needed to learn how to do/care for my own hair. I go to my stylist for relaxers and trims. Once I am comfortable trimming my own hair (I want it to be longer), I'll only go for relaxers.

BrooklynSouth

Not at all. I have a great pair of scissors/shears/whatever from SALLYS...I twist my hair in a few twists then scissor off the ends.

pookaloo83

I bought some shears from Walmart. Should I invest in good quality shears? I'm afraid I'm going to do it uneven.

MissJ

I did a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be a disaster! I wish I could trim my own hair.

Truth

I do, only because i'm too afraid to do it myself.... I've never had a good experience with sissors and hair.. However as far as the salon, I only go to my cousin's salon. and my cousin is the only one who will TOUCH my hair, cause I know for a fact she is far from sissor happy. Other then that.. If I'm unable to get to the salon, I will get my auntie or my roommate to do it...atleast until I find a salon that can really do natural hair!!

BTW so off subject.. Pookaloo I love YA SIG PIC.. gottah Love Ru..

Last edited:

BrooklynSouth

I bought some shears from Walmart. Should I invest in good quality shears? I'm afraid I'm going to do it uneven.

Yes, Pookaloo, a good pair-{mine were in the teens$} can be had for around $20.00 or less. Use them only for your hair-good 'investment' if you are going to do it start with light dusting to work up your courage.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I still go to the salon for that and I only let one person touch my head every 4 months. I bought a pair of shears that I never used so far, still need to build that courage up. I may get like MAMTO and let my SO cut it. He doesnt want me to be bald so he may not end up cutting enough off.

Qualitee

I would go to a salon to get a trim, but I will make sure who ever is trimming my hair knows what they are doing. Sorry but Im not going to someone who does mostly weaves either.

*KP*

I haven't been to a salon in over a year. In that time I've dusted/trimmed myself maybe 2 or 3 times. I trust only 2 stylists with scissors but they will STILL take off more than I'd like. I think I will eventually go back to one of them when I need a neater trim but for now I'm doing OK with my professional shears. I take the very tips off when I am doing a roller set.

LushLox

I don't trim my own hair, this is the only thing I'm not quite confident enough to do myself. When I need to I'll go back to my old stylist to get her to dust my ends, not that I've really got any split ends at the moment. If I make it very clear the amount I want off, she'll do as I ask.

hillytmj

I do my hair on a regular basis, but I still go for relaxers. In terms of trimming, I go to a "Supercuts" type place where they specialize in precision cuts. I'm always pleased with the results.

indigodiva

I personally go once a month for a trim. My hair has always grown kinda funny, and their are pieces that I just cannot reach as far as managing split ends, so I leave it to the professionals....well, one professional. The key is finding a stylist who knows the definition of trim vs. an actual cut.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I only trust my Dominican (male) stylist to trim for me. However, he would not touch my hair with a relaxer at the end of a 10 ft pole.

I don't trim myself. I'm afraid of the results. I let one stylist trim and she knows I don't even like getting it trimmed. I'm trying to hold on to what little progress I have. :lachen:

SmartyPants

I do my hair on a regular basis, but I still go for relaxers. In terms of trimming, I go to a "Supercuts" type place where they specialize in precision cuts. I'm always pleased with the results.

I have started doing my own relaxers again out of necessity. But there is NO FREAKING WAY I am doing my own trims. I also go to the "Supercuts" type places. They cut what you tell them and they know what they are doing.

Kacie

The Aveda institutes are another establishment that will not cut more than you ask. They are scared to use the scissors and snip a little at a time then allow ou to check it out.

I never wear my hair straight, so I just use Feye's Self Trim guide to make a light V shape.

Esq.2B

Thanks for posting this OP. Sounds like Supercuts it is. I'm in desperate need of a trim. It's been 2 years. :ohwell:

Mimi22

The Aveda institutes are another establishment that will not cut more than you ask. They are scared to use the scissors and snip a little at a time then allow ou to check it out.

I never wear my hair straight, so I just use Feye's Self Trim guide to make a light V shape.

Totally agree! I went to get my trim at Aveda in February and I was happy with the results! They didnt trim alot off and explained everything in a respectful manner:yep: I was left with even hair and a whole lotta swang! I'm definitely going back when I need another trim, but till then I dust!:grin: