I Love Lye

leona2025

So I have been using No-Lye relaxers all my life. Recently I decided to switch to lye, but I was scared my hair would melt off. :ohwell: Well I took the chance anyway. I used ORS Lye relaxer and I chose this one because I was using the no-lye from the same brand and had wonderful results.

This lye relaxer burned the heck out of me. Partly because I washed my hair the previous day and scratched really hard the day of. I didn't think it would be a problem because I had done this many times with the no-lye. I was only able to keep the relaxer on about 5 minutes and my hair was slightly underprocessed, not noticable really.

I loved the results. My hair feels silky and soft. My hair was always soft after the no-lye too, but there is no comparison. My hair also feels a little stronger, but I did do a major protein treatment right after the relaxers. It has more shine and it doesn't look dry. This is the problem I struggled with a lot. My hair always looked dry even though it wasn't. I will be using this relaxer again.:grin:

I would really love to try this.. I am too very scared to switch from no lye and what it may do on the previously no lye relaxed hair.. I also have a sensitive scalp but I relax in sections so I think I will be okay with the burning..

Please keep us updated on how all goes in the next few weeks.. I may try to switch once I relax again in late December:)

Did you base you scalp very thoroughly? I ask this because this is the biggest mistakes people make when switching to lye.

I love Lye also. I used Silk Elements with Olive Oil last night and I must say I'm loving it. Previously I've used African Pride and also got fab results with it. I agree...it will burn if you are not careful. It is good to have a wet cloth handy in case you get any relaxer on your forehead, face or any other part of your skin as it will burn quickly. I do still use no-lye on my daughters' hair with good results, but I do notice her hair requires more moisture than mines.

~Dee

Sassy brings up an excellent point. I rarely have issues with burning as I use some good old fashion "Dax" on my scalp 2 days in a row prior to putting my relaxers in. I always do this to build up a layer of protection on my scalp. There are rare occassions where I get relaxer on my neck and don't clean it off soon enough. It starts to burn within 3 or 4 minutes.

I did not base at all. I have never and while the relaxer burned while it was on I don't have any chemical burns. I didn't apply the relaxer over all my hair just the roots.

Umm washed the day before, scratched and didn't base ur scalp = Your Bad!!! (lol)...Girl I am glad you had good results in spite of the burning. I switched by to Lye over a year ago and have not turned back...my hair has done a 360....

You'll see...you will will love it. I haven't tried the ORS but I heard great things about it...I am stuck on my Mizani Butter Blend....

I used no-lye for many years, recently changed to lye... it was a difference. Funny thing is that I used no-lye because I had a scalp that burnt too fast but I used a mild lye relaxer (silk element olive oil).. and it didn't even burn like crazy in 8 mins like no-lye did.. And i scratched a lot the days before (i also based my scalp with random "grease" my mom had in her house).

For me seems no-lye makes your hair seem dull and dryer

I love my Mizani mild lye! I switched to Affirm no-lye and ended up switching right back. BASE YOUR SCALP and you won't have burns! I use the rerular Soft Sheen for $1 from the dollar store. I cake it on the scalp and I don't feel a thing.

I made the switch earlier this year, and there's no turning back. My hair has always been so very dry with no lye. Now I don't have that problem anymore after switching to lye.

I thought the dryness came from a lack of moisture but that was not the case for me. It was the no lye relaxer.

Me too! :love:The difference was like day and night for me. My hair is so much softer smoother, and more moisturized! I do have a sensitive scalp but i just nake sure to base my scalp well

So question..
how are you all seeing drastic changes after 1 relaxer when the old hair is still processed with no-lye? Are you running the lye relaxer thru your entire head?

So question..
how are you all seeing drastic changes after 1 relaxer when the old hair is still processed with no-lye? Are you running the lye relaxer thru your entire head?

When I started using lye again...it was just applied as a retouch...I did not pull it through the ends of my hair. I started really noticing the difference after the first use (not so much a drastic change) but my hair felt - well just felt better and after subsequent retouches my hair was not as dull/dry ...I have been slowly trimming away the no lye but I can see the difference between the ends of my hair and the hair that has been relaxed with no lye ...

So I have been using No-Lye relaxers all my life. Recently I decided to switch to lye, but I was scared my hair would melt off. :ohwell: Well I took the chance anyway. I used ORS Lye relaxer and I chose this one because I was using the no-lye from the same brand and had wonderful results.

This lye relaxer burned the heck out of me. Partly because I washed my hair the previous day and scratched really hard the day of. I didn't think it would be a problem because I had done this many times with the no-lye. I was only able to keep the relaxer on about 5 minutes and my hair was slightly underprocessed, not noticable really.

I loved the results. My hair feels silky and soft. My hair was always soft after the no-lye too, but there is no comparison. My hair also feels a little stronger, but I did do a major protein treatment right after the relaxers. It has more shine and it doesn't look dry. This is the problem I struggled with a lot. My hair always looked dry even though it wasn't. I will be using this relaxer again.:grin:

Lye relaxers are supposed to be harder on your scalp but easier on your hair. I use lye relaxers as well. I wash, protein, and DC my hair one week before I relax. Washing the day before a lye relaxer is :nono: :nono: :nono:! Next time you relax do your last wash a week before and make sure you base your scalp either the day before or the morning of the relaxer. You'll be a lot happier. Also, if you are happy with the results after leaving the relaxer on for only 5 minutes, try using the mild version of the lye relaxer next time.

I did not base at all. I have never and while the relaxer burned while it was on I don't have any chemical burns. I didn't apply the relaxer over all my hair just the roots.

hmmmmm...

Wash day before relaxer :burning:

Scratched scalp day of relaxer :burning:

No base before relaxer :burning:

:burning: :burning: :burning: :burning: :burning:

You're lucky you have any hair left! :clown:

So question..

Well the first time, I did just the NG. There was a definite improvement in my hair.But then I realized after 5 weeks how much different the lye relaxed portion was compared to the no lye. Not just in moisture but texture as well I realized that the no-lye portion looked underprocessed in comparison. So I did a 'corrective' on the no-lye part. Which also helped alot but I could still tell the difference. So as my hair grew I gradually cut off the no-lye parts. Which was cool 'cause I was rockin a short cut for a few months.

I love lye as well; my hair has never been the same. No-lye relaxers used to make my hair so hard and dry as a bone! :sad: I won't be going back, and my hair has thanked me for it. My hair seems like a totally different texture! :yep:

I just noticed my hair getting softer and smoother as the months went on. I didn't run the relaxer through the length of my hair. And I didn't cut it. You don't have to cut your hair after switching relaxers if it's not damaged.

So question..

This is a very interesting post...

So does lye relaxer burn faster than no-lye but straighten better? Or does it just put more moisture into your hair? I've NEVER used or thought about using lye relaxers. In fact, I'm texlaxed so I always add coconut oil to my relaxer. Do texlaxed ladies still do that even with the lye relaxer?

I am under the impression that no-lye relaxers actually came out as a way to have a product that was more gentle on the scalp. I'm not sure though, I think some more research needs to be done to know 100%. I do know that Lye is easier on the hair, and no lye is easier on the scalp. Its tricky though, because if you mess up your scalp that is no fun!

was no lye for life. Switched to lye this past year. There is no comparison in my hair. It is so soft, strong and healthy now. My lye relaxers don't completely straighten my strands. I didn't like this at first. But when I look at my hair wet, my lye relaxed strands make it look as though I am transitioning. It just makes for healthier hair and I will never go back to no lye.

I base adequately and actually burn less with lye than I did with no lye. Let me correct that, I rarely burn now and only tingle at the very end.

I know now I shouldn't have washed my hair the day before my relaxer, but with the no lye sometimes I would wash determine the new growth was out of control and relaxer the same day with no problems.

I didn't pull the relaxer all the way through, but when I was washing it out I made sure the run off got on the length of my hair and stayed on a few minutes. My hair is softer and stronger and it looks totally different to me. It's not as dry and I never knew my relaxer was what was making my hair look dry and dull.

So question..

I only did my NG when i switched to lye but i noticed a difference after the first application just the same. With no lye my hair was always dry, i guess cause the relaxer runs down the strands when you're washing it out or something, i dunno. But my moisture levels were fine on all my hair after using the lye, i didn't have to work hard to get it to look moisturized.

After switching to lye i understood what people meant when they said "use a dime sized amount of moisturizer" my hair really didnt need more than that, before switching i could NEVER get away with just a dime sized amount, my hair would be like the Sahara.

I am under the impression that no-lye relaxers actually came out as a way to have a product that was more gentle on the scalp. I'm not sure though, I think some more research needs to be done to know 100%. I do know that Lye is easier on the hair, and no lye is easier on the scalp. Its tricky though, because if you mess up your scalp that is no fun!

Lye is harder on the scalp for sure, i never based with no lye and i have to make sure i do it properly with lye or the burning is off the chain! Its easy to avoid though, you just have to base properly with some good old fashioned hair grease, i have some African Pride and Doo Gro i'm trying to finish up so i use those to base GENEROUSLY and i hardly get a tingle when i relax now.

I didn't even know no lye relaxers existed before I came here. I'm so late on everything.

I'm happy with the lye relaxer I use Mizani regular.

I'm a lyer and have been since about 2001. I definitely saw an improvement in my hair, not necessarily after the first use.

*I gradually trimmed my no-lye relaxed ends. With long hair, it took about 3-4 years for the no-lye hair to be completely gone.

*It is true that the lye doesn't straighten as well, but I understand that this is probably better for the hair anyway. I can get my hair pretty straight with the lye though.

*If I base well, I have a lot of time to work with the lye. Mizani Butter Blends really doesn't burn me--knock on wood!

Happy Lying :up:

Back