i need help with this lye/no-lye thing (details inside)

Luscious Locks

i'm killing myself trying to figure out if i should switch back to no lye. all of the evidence on here is pretty damning against no lye. I at one time had a gorgeous head of bsl hair and i was using box kits (Optimum), but after finidng this site i switched to lye. It's okay. I can't tell if the improvement in my hair is due to the lye relaxer or to better hair care over all which i have been engaging in.

basically lye burns the mess out of my scalp. either my hair comes out well processed but my scalp is tore up or i wash the relaxer out when my scalp starts to burn and then i'm under processed. have you noticed excessive burning when using this relaxer? how do you keep from burning?

i chose to relax with design essentials instead of affirm because my stylist said that it was more conditioning that affirm and would maintain thickness over a a longer period of time better than affirm would. i seriously don't know how she can make that statement if that relaxer can't even stay on my head long enough. i do base. i base with vaseline at home, and then have them base with some pinkish vaseline looking thing at the salon, and i still burn.

could it be the brand? could it be my base? i'm lost.

Anything you have to offer will probably help. Thanks, and sorry for the rant. I'm just at my wit's end.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I been using Mizani Butter blend mild (lye) for abouut 8 months now I only one time did I experience burning. This was all my fault because I didn't based my scalp the day of, and I was scratching my scalp for about a week straight. You have to use what's best for you and what's best for me is lye because it give me the texlaxed look.

If you want to continue with lye I think you should grease your scalp heavy 3 days prior to your touch-up, and make sure you grease heavy the day of you touch-up with something really thick like castor oil grease by hollywood beauty, or vaseline. Also put some grease on your ends to keep them from thinning out from relaxer running.

BTW: If you want the texlaxed look add some oil in your relaxer cream, this will help slow down the chemical.

Luscious Locks

I been using Mizani Butter blend mild (lye) for abouut 8 months now I only one time did I experience burning. This was all my fault because I didn't based my scalp the day of, and I was scratching my scalp for about a week straight. You have to use what's best for you and what's best for me is lye because it give me the texlaxed look.
:blush:
Do you mean to tell me that lye is best for texlaxing or that mild lye is best for texlaxing, 'bause my head just snapped back and did a double take.

gorgeous86

I use Silk Elements Lye (Regular) and I don't burn. I only base my scalp the day of my relaxer (right before). I also think that relaxing in sections keeps me from being under processed (each section is able to get the same degree of straightness w/out the burn)
Are you self relaxing? If all else fails, go back to what works for you. There are ladies on this board who have been able to use no lye relaxers with no problems. HTH

I retained alot of growth while using no=lye perms, but it made my hair very dry. So I switched back to lye perms. I find that you burn with both lye or no-lye perms.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
:blush:
Do you mean to tell me that lye is best for texlaxing or that mild lye is best for texlaxing, 'bause my head just snapped back and did a double take.

Well the real difference between lye and no-lye is the chemicals used in to. no-lye uses calcium chemical based to relaxed the hair which is much gentle on your scalp, but very drying on your hair. And lye uses a sodium based to relax your hair. It's hard on your scalp, but better on your hair because the chemical takes longer to break down to relax your hair. When people use no-lye they usually use a chelating shampoo to get rid of the calcium deposits on their hair which causes dryness.

I used no-lye before and I didn't like how it made my hair thin, and dryer than lye. Thats why I said that's lye is better for my hair, but it is harder on the scalp if left on your head too long. That's why some people use no-lye. If you are going to use lye you have to based your head very well.

i'm killing myself trying to figure out if i should switch back to no lye. all of the evidence on here is pretty damning against no lye. I at one time had a gorgeous head of bsl hair and i was using box kits (Optimum), but after finidng this site i switched to lye. It's okay. I can't tell if the improvement in my hair is due to the lye relaxer or to better hair care over all which i have been engaging in.

basically lye burns the mess out of my scalp. either my hair comes out well processed but my scalp is tore up or i wash the relaxer out when my scalp starts to burn and then i'm under processed. have you noticed excessive burning when using this relaxer? how do you keep from burning?

i chose to relax with design essentials instead of affirm because my stylist said that it was more conditioning that affirm and would maintain thickness over a a longer period of time better than affirm would. i seriously don't know how she can make that statement if that relaxer can't even stay on my head long enough. i do base. i base with vaseline at home, and then have them base with some pinkish vaseline looking thing at the salon, and i still burn.

could it be the brand? could it be my base? i'm lost.

Anything you have to offer will probably help. Thanks, and sorry for the rant. I'm just at my wit's end.

Girlfriend, I'm in the same boat with you, I had relaxer kits, no problem, the only thing I was overprocessing and not using a chelating shampoo, and now I know how to apply a relaxer right, I don't see the reason to continue lye relaxer.....I tried Silk Elements Lye and it burned my scalp so bad......I mean I base and put silk in the relaxer and my hair still burn, that was a little over a month ago, and my hair looks like I never had a relaxer in 4 months, I can barely comb my hair.....I just stopped combing it period, cuz I have so much new growth....it's like my hair is saying use no lye, but when I visit sites, I feel like I have to use lye, but then I visit the ladies who have long hair down to their waist who uses box kits or no lye and I'm like....umm.. ok......so....what should I do, my mind says no lye and my eyes say lye.....I mean when my stylist relax, she sometimes burn my scalp but not bad.....but since I decided to take a break from my stylist(she likes to cut my hair) I exactly don't know what she used for a relaxer, I mean I know she used mizani, but I don't know what kind......but anyways, my whole thing is if their is chelating shampoo and you know how to take care of your hair, then if you feel like you want to go back to no lye then go to no lye, no one can pick for you......if you take care of your hair with the no lye relaxer(removing mineral deposits) then your hair will grow......I think I'm going to try no lye.....and just use chelating shampoo and Rousx Porosity Control, I can't stand my scalp burning, even with vasline and it stills burn......girl, I have the same problem....Good luck in your decision.

Chameleonchick

For my hair I think lye relaxers are better. My hair stays looking thick and I texlax anyways for 10-12 minutes. When I did the same thing with no-lye the hair was almost straight. My ends are no lye and the rest of my hair is lye and you can definitely tell the difference when wet. I base the mess out of my scalp when I relax with the lye so I don't really know but I did burn with no lye even with basing.

nicki6

OK...here's my take for what's its worth...

I consider my hair to be in the type 4 category. When I first joined, I jumped on the Affirm lye bandwagon b/c lye is supposed to be kinder to the scalp. I have a sensitive scalp due to seborrhic dermatitis.

Well....I STILL burned..and it didn't straighten my hair enough for me (I prefer near bone straight). I went back to no lye and my hair is still thriving. My issue was my scalp and after I started taking flaxseed daily, my dermatitis all but went away.

I prefer Soft and Beautiful or Olive Oil relaxer.
I say try another brand of lye if you're happy with the level of relaxing on your hair.

gymfreak336

Why don't you try a lithium hydroxide relaxer instead. This is what I had to do. It is still considered a no-lye but it doesn't leave mineral deposit and processes much like lye without as much irritation. These relaxers will say things like no mix no lye on them.

I use the one by Hawaiian silky. Gentle treatment makes one, this what an old member (idol) Kinikakes used. Vitale Pro makes one, I have been trying to get my hands on it :sad: but if you consider using it, the stylist could probably get it for you.

Luscious Locks

Why don't you try a lithium hydroxide relaxer instead. This is what I had to do. It is still considered a no-lye but it doesn't leave mineral deposit and processes much like lye without as much irritation. These relaxers will say things like no mix no lye on them.

I use the one by Hawaiian silky. Gentle treatment makes one, this what an old member (idol) Kinikakes used. Vitale Pro makes one, I have been trying to get my hands on it :sad: but if you consider using it, the stylist could probably get it for you.

thanks so much, gym. i think that i will definately switch back to no-lye. contrary to the popular saying pain is NOT beauty. i just can't do it. my poor scalp ain't havin it.

i've done some so much research on non calcium hydroxide no lye perms. i think gentle greatment is a combo of calcium hydroxide and guanadine hydroxide. do that still matter? will i still get build up? will a chelating shampoo really take care of all that build up, because i'm trying to have silky soft hair.

Luscious Locks

also, do any of you ladies know where i can find hawaiian silky no-mix no-lye relaxer? I don't want to have to go to the salon again when i know that my mother can put a perm in just as well for a fraction of the cost.