I never thought I'd have it...

so1913

Hey ladies...

As much as I don't want to accept it, I am officially a victim of Alopecia Areata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata

I wanted to get an official diagnosis before I posted about it. I noticed two small bald spots (one usually where I part my hair to slick it back which I can't do the same way now :(), the other not too far from it. They seemed to appear overnight. I just got back from the dermatologist and received steroid injections in the two areas on my scalp affected. I go for a follow up in one month. I'm trying not to be too bumbed or stressed about it (especially since I think stress triggered it, lawd knows I've been under a lot of stress:( I don't need more of that! )...it may not even be that serious of a case (I pray)...we'll see what happens.

Hopefully there will be a happy ending and my experience can benefit another. In the meantime, if anyone has delt with this or is dealing with this, I'd love to hear from you.

:hug2: I'm sorry that you have to experience this.
I pray that you weather this storm and your hair grows back quickly.
Here's a cyber-hug and hang in there! I know it will be all right.
:yep:

I having some thinning at the crown due to my thyroid disease, so I decided to spend $500 and buy the laser comb to help with my thinning. It takes 12 to 16 weeks to see results and I'm on week 3 so I will let you know the outcome.

it runs in my family. I have had it, my aunt had and was totally bald for a while, my cousin has it, my sister had it. We all suffered quietly and never got treatment.

There was no rhyme or reason for ours all of a sudden we would just come up with clean spots of scalp.

I think the steriods help, we do have some autoimmune diseases in our family.

Does anyone else have it

I had a spot right behind my left ear just as big as the bottom of a can of coke. I was really stressed about the huge spot ..and did receive the injections as well... umm..But I remember myself depressing just by looking at it one tip as hard as it can be try not too look at it try to keep ur focus on something else eventually it will grow back and no were not talking about years its a question of months . A BIG HUG to you !

Casarela

Oh, wow, I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with this! Hopefully, you will be a part of the 90% who regain their hair within the year... :bighug:

:bighug:
I am so sorry this happened. I had 2 friends who this happened to and their hair grew back and it is healthy. I pray that your hair wil be restored to it's full health. Just take care of yourself.

im sorry you are experiencing this:bighug:
my mother and grandmother have this. im wondering if there are any growth aids that might help?

I having some thinning at the crown due to my thyroid disease, so I decided to spend $500 and buy the laser comb to help with my thinning. It takes 12 to 16 weeks to see results and I'm on week 3 so I will let you know the outcome.

Please keep us updated with this.

1913, I'm sorry you have to go through this. I read the article you linked to and it seems like your chances of growing the hair back fairly quickly are quite high so please don't despair. Keep us updated about your treatment, too.

it runs in my family. I have had it, my aunt had and was totally bald for a while, my cousin has it, my sister had it. We all suffered quietly and never got treatment.

There was no rhyme or reason for ours all of a sudden we would just come up with clean spots of scalp.

I think the steriods help, we do have some autoimmune diseases in our family.

Does anyone else have it

No not aware of any fam (neither are my parents) that have or have had it :(

Good thing is, my hair overall is doing well...I have a lot of hair, lol, so you can't notice it in all the maddness. Just praying this thing doesn't get any worse than it is.

Thanks for the words of encouragement ladies.

I think I may have it too, your post has inspired me to go to the dermatologist. Most importantly, I'm glad you were able to catch it and its being treated!

Hey ladies...

As much as I don't want to accept it, I am officially a victim of Alopecia Areata.

I wanted to get an official diagnosis before I posted about it. I noticed two small bald spots (one usually where I part my hair to slick it back which I can't do the same way now :(), the other not too far from it. They seemed to appear overnight. I just got back from the dermatologist and received steroid injections in the two areas on my scalp affected. I go for a follow up in one month. I'm trying not to be too bumbed or stressed about it (especially since I think stress triggered it, lawd knows I've been under a lot of stress:( I don't need more of that! )...it may not even be that serious of a case (I pray)...we'll see what happens.

Hopefully there will be a happy ending and my experience can benefit another. In the meantime, if anyone has delt with this or is dealing with this, I'd love to hear from you.

Awwwww.... Sorry to hear that. :nono:

Awwwwww, I pray that everything gets better! You have a ton of hair, so I'm sure you can find cute ways to disguise it. Keep your head up!

I think I may have it too, your post has inspired me to go to the dermatologist. Most importantly, I'm glad you were able to catch it and its being treated!

Yes girl, go ahead and have it checked out. As much as it sucks, I feel relief knowing the issue.

Guuuuuuuuuurl all the pretty curls are not going anywhere.:yep: Sending you big hugs!

When I was in middle school I got wingworms in my head from someone at school and had a HUGE bald spot in the middle of my head. I cried forever because I thought I was going to have to wear a wig.:sad: My hair did grow back and so will your's.

P.S. How could I not come in here to support you since you have gotten me hooked on Miss Jessie's stretch and buttercream!:yep::grin:

I'm sowwy baby. You are still beautiful, and your hur is too!

I think I may have it too- not diagnosed, but I just know it. I have it in my nape area probably between the eczema and the twice a month relaxing after the shave down from years of the short haircut. I can't grow hair back there. So I understand the frustration. I get so jealous of girls who can wear high ponytails with full napes. *sigh* I digress,

***But hugs to you*****

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I wish you luck with the treatments. I think there are a few threads on how to deal with this and different treatments that make the hair grow back. btw, I think you have beautiful shiny healthy hair and I know it will stay that way.

I'm so sorry you're going through this :(! I love your hair!! I hope that there will be a happy ending to this! (((hugs)))

I am so sorry this is happening to you! I don't have any advice, I just wanted to send you some good hair vibes. I am sure you and your hair will come through this.

Hey ladies...

A co-worker of mine had this and also got steroid shots for treatment. She wore braids for several months (she was getting relaxers) and, from what I could tell, rebounded quite nicely. :yep: As a matter of fact, I think she went back to relaxing a year or so ago.

Good thing is, my hair overall is doing well...I have a lot of hair, lol, so you can't notice it in all the maddness. Just praying this thing doesn't get any worse than it is.
Hey lil sis,

I'm glad your hair is doing well. You do have A LOT of hair, and I know I wouldn't be able to notice it.

Thanks for sharing this with us. You never know, it could help someone else out.

:)

So sorry (((So1913))). If you haven't been referred to my story yet, here it is. Been there. Made it through. God willing, you will too :kiss:

wow. thats shocking. your hair is so thick and pretty, but no worries you'll get through it.

Back