I reached my BSL goal!!!! Pics inside!!!

hillytmj

Hello everyone, I LITERALLY cannot stop screaming with joy and excitement. :grin::grin::grin: Everytime I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror or feel my hair grazing my back, I can't help but scream and say, "thank you, Jesus!"

I'm so excited because I agreed with another LHCF poster earlier this week that I might reach BSL before Dec. 31, 2008 if I miraculously sprouted an inch of hair. Well, I got my relaxer Thursday evening and yes, miracles do come true! (I only waited two days to share the news because my camera wasn't working till today. I knew you all would chew me up and spit me out if I proclaimed this without pics!) :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I was kinda touching BSL with the very tips of my ends in October, but I got them trimmed because I didn't like how the longest layer of my hair looked thin (even though it wasn't damaged). I was so mad at myself thinking that I created a setback, but in the end, I was blessed to gain that little trim back and then some. (I'm starting to notice a little trend - if I do a little trim, like a 1/4 inch or less, my hair seems to grow back faster and longer. I don't know). Look at the photos for proof.

-My first photo is my siggie, (Aug. 2, 2008) when I first joined LHCF.
-The second is Sept. 18 where I decided to trim cause I didn't like my longest layer.
-The third is after a trim on Oct. 12.
-Next is my new BSL hair.
-Finally, this is where I was when I started my haircare journey in January 2006 (but this was taken around March 2006). I was neck length, fried, died and laid to the side!

I'm convinced I could have reached this goal sooner if I knew about LHCF. Thanks so much to all of you at the LHCF for all of your support, genorisity with ideas and encouragement!

Attachments

• Freshly Relaxed 8-2-08.jpeg
    Freshly Relaxed 8-2-08.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Photo 3 - one week after relaxer.jpg
    Photo 3 - one week after relaxer.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 10-30-08 same day-regret the trim.jpeg
    10-30-08 same day-regret the trim.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Same day - another shot.jpg
    Same day - another shot.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 445
  • HPIM0367.jpg
    HPIM0367.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

Msstarr718

Wow gorgeous.. Ok give it up.. What is your reggie and how long or did you stretch at all? Cause im in serious need of some help..

hillytmj

Wow gorgeous.. Ok give it up.. What is your reggie and how long or did you stretch at all? Cause im in serious need of some help..

Hi Msstarr, when I started my haircare journey in Jan. 2006, I solely relied on my hair dresser. I NEVER EVER touched, or even considered doing my own hair. She gave me good advice though: no direct heat, weekly deep conditioning, no hair bleach, take vitamins and keep your hair protected at night (with rollers, a satin scarf and satin pillowcase). Through this regimen and her weekly rollersets, my hair went from see-through, overbleached strands to healthy within 9 months. HOWEVER, she was scissor happy and I made no length progress. I was necklength for almost two years. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Fast forward to LHCF. My friend was on here before me (last Nov.) and told me to stretch my relaxers to 8 weeks. I still do this faithfully. Other tips that I've picked up at LHCF: moisturizing and sealing ends, reducing trims and keeping it up off of my shoulders.

My haircare routine:
  • Wash weekly (2 lathers) with Biolage Hydratherappie shampoo. I wash my hair in sections to reduce tangles.
  • Deep condition weekly for 30 minutes with Biolage Hydratherrapie Conditining Balm. I sit under a hood dryer with a curl cap on.
  • Weekly rollersetting. I use Matrix Instacure Leave-in on wet hair to detangle, and then follow-up with Mizhani Thermastrength heat protecting serum. Finally, I use a very light setting lotion before rolling.
  • No direct heat--I have probably used a curling iron on my hair for a total of 3-5 times since Jan. 2006. I have trained my hair to respond to rollers, moisturizer, whatever it takes to look nice without direct heat appliances.
  • Low manipulation - I only comb it on wash day. I usually wear it up in a clip. If I wear it down, I only finger comb since it's rollerset.
  • At night - put my hair in a high LOOSE ponytail on top of my head (like a pineapple). Then I add two or three rollers to the length. I take one silk scarf and wrap it around my edges. Sometimes I use a second scarf to tie the rollers down so they don't move at night. I ALWAYS sleep on a satin pillowcase, even if I travel (I bring it with me).
  • Every day or as needed - moisturize hair and ends with Mizhani Rose H20 and seal with olive oil. I don't have to do this as much as I used to now that I deep condition.
  • Three Vitamins daily - 1 Nioxin Hair Growth Vitamin, 1 Geritol Multivitamin and a 1 B-Complex tablet.
  • I go to Supercuts for trims. They specialize in precision cuts and do EXACTLY what you ask them to, especially if you offer a good tip upfront! :yep:
  • I still go to my hairdresser for my relaxer every 8-9 weeks. I'm not ready to try that by myself yet.
I hope this helps! I'm going to stick with this routine and keep growing if God says the same. :yep::yep::yep:

2themax

Congratulations to you on reaching your goal!!!!:yep:

Doesn't it feel like a great accomplishment? I'm "almost" there. It just has a mind of it's own I guess:ohwell:

Take Care!

nikki2229

Congratulations. Your regimen seems pretty solid. Have you ever used growth aids? It's encouraging to see good ole deep conditioning and protective styling paying off.

Your hair is pretty BTW.