I really don't like jojoba oil

snoop

This is a bit of a rant post...kind of about hair, kind of not.

I'm trying to up my nail game and read that jojoba oil was a really good oil to improve nail health and growth. I'd decided YEARS ago that I really didn't like it, though I have some in my (large oil and butter) stash. I decided to by a bit of golden oil to try, because I assumed that I had the deoderized kind already. I rarely use jojoba and it's not really something that I would otherwise re-up unless for a very specific purpose or suggest to use.

So here's the thing. Using it on my nails I feel like it doesn't do anything except make my nails "wet" up until I rub it in. After that, my nails basically look as parched as they did before I used it. If I use another oil for the same purpose, my nails and finger skin look moisturized and healthy. I use the oils most times after washing my hands so effectively is like LO or LOC if I follow up with lotion.

They say that jojoba is close in composition to our sebum. Personally, I've tried water only and using sebum instead of moisturizer. After a while, when I believe I had sebum coverage I had basically the same feeling in my hair. I could feel that the sebem was on my hair, but my hair seemed to feel dry very quickly. In both the case of my nails and hair, with no added benefits (eg strengthening, pliability, etc.) Personally, I don't like this feeling and don't see the point of this oil. How are people even using this on their hair and why? Massage maybe?

So now I have to figure out how to use it so that it doesn't go to waste. I've tried it on my face under my moisturizer and it seems ok. Maybe in a month I'll be singing the praises of jojoba for this kind of application, but in the meantime for my nails and I'm not even going to pretend to use it as is on my hair.
:nono2:

Am I the only one who doesn't like jojoba? What are some of your other most disliked and potentially overhyped oils?

Theresamonet

I love jojoba oil. :lol: Like sebum, it’s mostly a liquid wax. I use it as a light sealant. It’s not going to really nourish the hair or skin. But I love how it seals in moisture without heavily weighing the hair down. It also gives my hair a silky smooth feeling that lasts.

I get along with most oils, depending on how I use them. I have a harder time trying to make butters work for me. My favorite oil for my hair is good old regular avocado oil.

Evolving78

I just don’t use straight oils anymore. I like manufactured oil sprays! lol I may get some of that oil that comes in the green and white bottle (forgot the name). I think it has magic powers.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I don't have anything to add, I just came in because of the thread title :laugh: I was like "what did jojoba do?" But now I see it's more like what it didn't do. To answer the question, it's grease.

Shocker :lachen:

Yes I sing its praises, but I can really only use it for my braids. It doesn't work for anything else for me.

kupenda

We are on the same page! I learned years ago that jojoba just ain’t for me. My hair can’t stand it. It’s waxy. My hair also hates coconut oil. I can do shea butter in moderation

As for cuticle oil, I like avocado oil blended with sunflower oil and vitamin e (I make it at home)

snoop

I love jojoba oil. :lol: Like sebum, it’s mostly a liquid wax. I use it as a light sealant. It’s not going to really nourish the hair or skin. But I love how it seals in moisture without heavily weighing the hair down. It also gives my hair a silky smooth feeling that lasts.

I get along with most oils, depending on how I use them. I have a harder time trying to make butters work for me. My favorite oil for my hair is good old regular avocado oil.

Maybe I should try a bit on my ends and see...

snoop

I just don’t use straight oils anymore. I like manufactured oil sprays! lol I may get some of that oil that comes in the green and white bottle (forgot the name). I think it has magic powers.

I'm intrigued. If you ever remember the name, I'd like to know more.

This reminds me about the misto spray bottles that people started buying to use with their oil. I know they still sell them (they're for bottling and spraying oil on your food). I might have to give it a try...

snoop

We are on the same page! I learned years ago that jojoba just ain’t for me. My hair can’t stand it. It’s waxy. My hair also hates coconut oil. I can do shea butter in moderation

As for cuticle oil, I like avocado oil blended with sunflower oil and vitamin e (I make it at home)

Thanks for the tip. I like sweet almond, macadamia, and hazelnut combined. I might have to add some vit E and just make the switch.